Professor Paddle: North Fork Skykomish - Trip Report vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: North Fork Skykomish - Trip Report Post Reply Post New Topic
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Topic: North Fork Skykomish - Trip Report
    Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 8:45pm

I was with a crew who ran the NF Sky on Saturday. This is one of my favorite runs, and it was good to be back on it again.

Summary

• Levels were aprox. 5,000 on the Goldbar gauge.
  • Jack's Pass is open, and seems to be plowed at least occasionally. You will need a 4 wheel drive.
  • Be sure you know how to recognize Bear Creek Falls and Drumbeater or be comfortable with running high-consequence class V (or is it VI?)
  • There is a blocking log near the end of the canyon. It is definitely in play and can come up very fast. It is a serious threat to out of control boaters or swimmers.

The riverbed has changed a lot. Rooster Tail is now a ledge drop. El Nino is, in my estimation, easier. Screaming Left is straightforward, but will get BIG in the spring. Minefield was pretty much the same.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 8:47pm
Thanks for posting this.  I would like to try this section next year.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2007 at 10:24pm
Thanks, Bryon.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 12:08pm
How far downstream could you drive coming from Jack's Pass??  Would you be able to drive the old Galena put-in?  I'm so jealous!  NF Sky is one of my all time favorite runs at high water!!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 6:30pm
That gate is supposed to always be locked and it's at the pass pretty much which is upstream of san Juan CG and Bear Creek Falls.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 8:38pm
There's a couple miles of floating and a portage before you get to the main run. But it's no big deal, especially if you drag your boat on the snow. The biggest thing to think about is how to recognize Bear Creek Falls. We got out WAY upstream, so I'm not much help. If you're gonna do this, I'd scout carefully.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 7:56am
Before this thread drops off into obscurity I was hoping to get a little clarification:

Bryon, it sounds like you all put in above the regular put in (below the falls in the canyon).  Why?  Road damage or snow?   I mean why not drive to the regular putin near troublesome creek campground or was the gate closed (that piece of shat gate used by county to keep the freakin hermits inside their little shri lang la).  The county website list the road repairs as completed with the single exception of two small sections at the road end 6.4 miles from Index.  Yes, that means one should be able to drive all the way around (cept for the gate and hermits and possible snow). 
Did you all continue on down to Trout creek (or Index) or split rock?
Thnks for entertaining these curiosities 

Edited by huckin harms - 12 Dec 2007 at 7:58am
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 12:14pm
I understand the gate is always locked and is well above the normal galena putin. 

http://skyko.org/ has much information regarding the index-galena road conditions. 

Not to argue with you Mike, but if you've followed things uo there, you know there were major problems with trespassers and looters following the floods.  I agree it sucks for us to be unable to bypass the gate, but it sucks even more for the locals to have their already trashed properties disrespected and scanvenged. 

I've heard of several parties up there who have met locals and gotten a shuttle sorted out to galena. 

--B

Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 12:55pm
Hey Mike,

The Index Road is still out, and the gate is up on the other side. We drove as far as we could. . The only option for the North Fork is to drive around Jack's Pass and hoof it from the gate as far as you want.

- B
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 7:41am
Bryon-

DUDE, duh!  I know the frigging road is out above Index... that is clearly understood.  What I did not know was whether you drove beyond the gate or hiked in from the gate.  THAT was NOT made CLEAR in your previous update.  Hence, the added question mark.                                                                                                                                                           

Brian-
I am aware of the Skyko website and of it's involvement and contributions.  I understand why the gate was originally put into place, purposed as you described - keep looters at bay.  This purpose has run its course and the policy is need of updating. Several trailheads, waterfalls and campgrounds exist in those parts, and to say to the public that they are no longer accessible for several years is unsatisfactory.  The county should hear that point.  I say tear the gate out. 

Edited by huckin harms - 13 Dec 2007 at 7:53am
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 8:05am
Harms harms the gate. See Harms run. See Harms harm. Run Harms run. See Harms kayak.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 8:08am
Hey, Bryon did anyone run Rooster on your trip?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 8:42am

Brett, so original and creative...  

not sure what to make of it though, so I guess it's funny. 

ha ha.

Edited by huckin harms - 13 Dec 2007 at 8:44am
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 9:27am
Yo Harms,

We parked at the gate and hiked down a mile or so. Not sure why we didn't just run river on down. Looked like class II, definately easier than hoofin' it.

Brett,

No one rode the Rooster. Looks like a sweet drop though, but a bit above my pay grade.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 9:35am

Thanks for the clarification.  That helps.  Looking forward to getting in there soon. 

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 6:52pm
sweet. sky run on Sat. it's my birthday, Sun!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version