Professor Paddle: River Alerts Missing? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: River Alerts Missing? Post Reply Post New Topic
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Topic: River Alerts Missing?
    Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 3:15pm
The river alerts I have posted have disappeared.  Over the weekend, I entered one on the Sultan Powerhouse run for wood and now it is gone.  Also, one I entered for the S. Fork of the Stilly a month or two ago is also gone.  Has anyone else noticed their alerts are missing?
Dave
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:08pm
Dave thanks for the heads up. Heres a quick explanation to why your alerts were deleted. And by the way this is the same as trying to openly hurt a paddler in my opinion, imagine that a boater knowingly hurting another boater.

What a bummer. I hate to say this folks but I am pretty disappointed in some of you.

I am not going to mention names and I am not going to start pitching shit, but you know who you are and well ... I do too.

Late last night and one other time earlier in the month, the same computer loaded our website and as a guest (not logged in) this person went through and removed all of the alerts on every river, because that was an option I left open to encourage involvement. The same person attempted to delete our river details and many other areas of the website that is open to the public's control. These areas were open to guest usage because I was trying to get everyone involved even those that did not want to sign up. I of course tracked all the activity and back it all up, but still I had never though a person from inside our community would be the one to start abusing these tools.

First off, I knew that this would happen sooner or later, and unfortunately whether you like it or not there has to be a level of risk to get involvement from the community. There are of course always people in each community that are willing to not just lie and act like they are functioning for friends and the benefit of others, but they will even damage and hurt those they claim to protect knowingly if it will move them closer to their personal goals.

At some point our society is going to become so familiar with these internal tactics of selfishness that were going to start self regulating. It's going to take alot of people getting screwed, alot of people loosing what they have, and alot of people stealing in the name of honesty but sooner or later it will all catch up.

In closing, your attempt to damage the database was unsuccessful. Your removal of our alerts was also unsuccessful. All of these transactions are backed up, they are all held in storage and we can roll back, forward or side to side to prevent disruption from visitors/paddlers that don't like me, our community, or the idea that information should be openly shared and controlled by everyone together. Everything has been restored.

Some day communities and groups will see what you are trying to do and you will be sorry for the way you have conducted yourself. Your account will not be closed here, I do not believe that banning people is useful when they can sign right back up. Enjoy the same privelidges as before, knowing I am monitoring your account and watching you act like a shit head.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 5:10pm
PS. Deleted River Alerts are now restored and Guest Abilities have been revoked for this tool.
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 7:03pm
Wow.  I had noticed that an alert I had posted for the MM was gone and I had assumed that the log washed away in the higher water we had in December.  Thanks for posting this Dave and thanks, James, for restoring this information.

I wish that I wasn't as cynical about human nature as I sometimes am - and unfortunately, seeing someone maliciously remove safety information doesn't do anything to make me less cynical.  Ugghh.

James - I am PMing you with some anti-fraud information that you might find useful.

arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 7:04pm
Thanks James - I'm glad you're on top of it and backed everything up against those assholes.
Dave
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 01 Jan 2008 at 9:47pm
Kudo's James, for your maturity and your ability to manage a situation.
 Thanks!
PS,  Putting the name out there may speed up the evolutionary process a little!
Sure?
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 8:15am
I think you should put the name out there James.  I certainly don't want to be paddling with this person in the future if they could care less about our safety. 

ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 9:41am
I'm going to put my thirds on that motion. 
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 9:57am
Yeah, lets get the name... that way we can hang an effigy. 
Then next time we see him on the river, we'll all gang up and spear him with our ninja throw darts.  Wow, I never even thought people used those alerts.  Mmmm.... how distasteful.     
It is kinda funny to think somebody would try to outsmart the smarty - I mean, jeeze... what a bonehead?   And besides, as if removing sensitive data that saves lives could make you a better boater, its all so laughable. 
James, your right- I don't want to know who it is... I probably know em and even like that person, and then this would be just a silly stain on their tarnished image.   We don't want to do that....  So here's to keep it clean!  White shining snow, just like all that powder in the mountains just sitting their till Spring, which is less than 80 days away now.   Should be a good one!

Edited by huckin harms - 02 Jan 2008 at 10:03am
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 10:07am
I am truly suprised that someone would try to hack the alerts.  I guess you can't just assume that someone with a sprayskirt is trustworthy. 
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 10:09am
Originally posted by justin

I am truly suprised that someone would try to hack the alerts.  I guess you can't just assume that someone with a sprayskirt is trustworthy. 

You're from Idaho... you still trust anyone with a sprayskirt?! 
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 11:12am
At first I was wondering if I did something that deleted Dave's Alerts. So my first action was to do some queries with Daves MemberID against the river alert tool.

The response was all of his alerts being deactivated by the guest userid. The system has a seperate userid and each member has their own. After finding out it was a guest that removed the alerts I checked to see if the guest removed other alerts at the same time, and indeed there were Zero active alerts as the guest had de-activated everything at the same time. I then checked a few other public tables that are safe gaurded and found similar activity on the same date. Once I was certain that it was not a fluke I compared all of our Server Log IP's to the IP of the guest that made all of these actions. Unfortunately this IP address exactly matched one member that had logged in multiple times from the same IP. That pretty much makes it bomb proof in my opinon.

It was malicious, it was not a stranger, it was a member, it was a person we all know. Above all I am bummed because I had no idea that this person was upset or even aggitated towards me or others here. This person's involvement in the whitewater community leads me to believe it is partially personal and partially strategic in nature.

I have seen communities, boating and non become broken and separated because of personal agenda's, simple mistakes and harbored resentments. We all have stories, memories, or even instances where our friends, boaters or even community members have made mistakes, purposly or non, and our ability to forgive and leave the stink is what strengthens us as a whole.

My only hope is that through this currrent example, our personal pasts, and every future opportunity, we will place our communities, friends and families above ourselves in a real effort to become stronger and closer to everyone, even those that have acted against us in some way.

Obviously I am going to feel a bit deeper about this example because it costs me more time and I feel it is more directed at me, but none the less this person and this instance has every opportunity to bring division to our community. Nothing is worth that, and with a government that is already working to create divisions we must all let our personal issues go in an attempt to stand for each other.

Thats all I got. Thanks for the support. Thanks for the concern and thanks for the help in finding this problem. Boat safe, always remember that this site and others are a tool not some perfect system and nothing replaces experience, and good judgement on the river. Take care and lets get this 2008 off on a better note!

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jan 2008 at 5:16pm
This is certainly sad to hear that PP has been, in a sense, vandalized.  I am shocked that someone would do this to a community resource, but am also surprised that someone would spend their time on this endeavor (am I wrong here - wouldn't it have taken this person a fair amount of time and clicks to go through every river and every alert?).

On a side note, I think it is safe to say that folks that are not logged in should be limited to read-only activities...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 9:37am
Thanks asshole!!!  Great idea to remove river alerts.
The OAC
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote The OAC Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2008 at 11:29am
Nicely played... as satisfying as it would be to have a name, there's something to be said for taking the high road with the response.

Jeff
The OAC is a private username and is not connected with the good folks at the OAC kayak shop, who are in no way responsible for ranting, soap boxing, or mud slinging conducted under this name.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version