Professor Paddle: Imnaha this spring? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Imnaha this spring? Post Reply Post New Topic
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yotes Replybullet Topic: Imnaha this spring?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 12:23pm
I was playing around on google earth (following the snake down through hells canyon), and noticed the confluence with the Imnaha. It looks like a quality run, and seems like it gets overlooked a lot due to the long paddle out on the snake and the long shuttle. That said, I think it could make for a great trip this spring. Anybody else interested in getting this one planned out? I'm thinking a three day run of the river, so plan on taking a four day weekend for this one (with running shuttle and all that).
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 12:47pm
This sounds rad yoter... what type of boats and whats the water like?
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 12:58pm
Looks like a creek boat self support run, the stretch on the Imnaha starts out with class 2-3, then there's a class 4 gorge section before it enters the snake. Once you're on the snake it's pretty much flat for the 23 mile paddle out to Heller Bar. Bennett recommends 1000 to 1400 cfs, and a comment on AW said it's good to go for catarafts above 1500.
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 1:02pm
I've been to the confluence of the Imnaha and the Snake.  It was during pretty high water on a jetboat outing.  The other time was after a multi day trip and I completely spaced it.  The runout looked pretty fun, but even with the higher water it looked kind of boney.  Grant Amaral's (sp?) book has a little write-up on it.  I'll check it out to refresh my memory.  I'm pretty sure it's listed as III(IV).  Pretty sure you could make the creek happen in whatever boat you were using for the multi-day, but again I'll check the river description.

I agree with Yotes that it is often overlooked.  Most likely because the time you get there you're A) either tired from paddling all the flatwater B) your group has a raft/cat with a small motor and you're all drinking beer by that point (my preference) or C) you completely space it from either reason A or B.

Anyways, Yotes I'm down for it.  I'm sure that there will be a few multi-days down the Salmon/Snake this year.  The section we did this past summer was also great for beginners (if you have raft support).
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 1:03pm
Glad I'm not the only one who spends way too much of my time looking at/for rivers on google earth.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2008 at 4:11pm
Imnaha is a great run from all I've heard.  If you're looking for beta, James Black on the spokanekayaker list has run it and will share beta. 

I understand it can be cat boated at high flows, so it is a good sized drainage. the main problem is that to get the good in the bottom canyon, you have to committ to the the paddle out to Heller Bar. 

Fish and I paddled out from China Bar to Heller Bar a few years ago, epic 35 mile flatwater day.  There's isn't much good camping below the Main/Snake confluence ... and what beaches there are are usually claimed by jet boaters on weekend days. 

I would absolutely be in for this trip, I've been trying to get this one for a couple years.
oopsiflipped
Paddler
Paddler

Quote oopsiflipped Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 8:42am
My 2 cents...

I've heard it is pretty boring and only worth doing for the scenery, if that.  Maybe a 3 or 4 actual rapids that are quite spread out
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version