Professor Paddle: Overnighters vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Overnighters Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Overnighters
    Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:47pm
Hey so I have noticed that not many folks do Overnighters or at least advertise it when they do. Thats cool and all escpecially with the work and added planning that goes into it. But I wonder why more of us don't do overnighters on the river?

As I ease my way back into paddling more and more, rehabbing my shoulder and takin it slow, I look forward to more overnighters this spring! I just did my first one of this season and I forgot how much fun it is to pack into a river and camp.

Have you done an overnighter?

What are some classics that I should plan for?

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 8:52pm
Selway River Idaho
... preparing for a river beating!     
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 10:42pm
never done an over-nighter unless you count camping at the takeout and putting in at the top the next day.  It has always seemed like an awesome thing to do, provided you have the right equipment to do it.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2008 at 11:00pm
I'd love to do an overnighter. There's just not many of them up here (wasn't this a topic before?).  Minus the peninsula and bc, there's only a couple to my knowledge in the area.  It more comes down to splitting up a one day run into two days for the hell of it....which is still completely worth it just to be out there.

I did my second overnighter a couple weeks ago in CR on the Rio Pacuare, it was about as easy as it could get.  Drinking an Imperial and having my dinner made for me in the middle of the rainforest.  I need to figure out a way to have that happen up here.
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:17am
The Klickatat from the Reservation down to Leidl Campround makes a good overnighter.  It's a long run to start with and feels pretty remote tucked down under the basalt cliffs.  There's great camping spots all over that river.  I pulled an overnighter there in 2006 and am planning on doing it again this spring.
Dave
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:23am
I've never done an overnighter either. The Lost River I know of, and while GC Elwha has been completed in a day including the hike most people split it up into two and sometimes three days. I also read a writeup from Tom O'keefe saying you can make the Cispus an overnight.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 8:07am
If you're talking driving to the PI and paddling 2+ days to the TO, WA's geography of having the Mtns close to the river's base level (ocean, sound, Columbia) leaves us somewhat limited, as the stretches that contain what we define as interesting paddling are somewhat short compared to other geographic regions.  And as for "mandatory" multi day trips, we're pretty much out of luck.  However, if you don't mind having it somewhat contrived - camping on trips that have intermediate road access - there are quite a few options including the Cispus, Soleduck, Klickitat, Chehalis, Sauk, Wynoochee, Satsop, etc.  Brian's trip of combining the three common stretches of the EF Humptulips sounds like a fantastic overnighter.

If you want to make it an overnight by combining hiking to the PI and then paddling out, your list gets much longer.  Brett mentioned the Lost and the GC Elwah, which are both classics.  Other great options that can be done in a reasonable amount of time include Tshletshy, Bogachiel, Stetattle, Lightning, Bridge / Stehekin, and the Puyallup.  Heck, grab a map and start drooling.

Anyone want to do a weekend overnighter this spring on the Pratt?  I'm tentatively thinking May 17-18 pending levels.  It's probably not a "classic" by any means, but it's in our back yard, flows through a valley that sees few if any hikers, and would be fun to see.  The plan is to hike in one day, and paddle out, all the way to the Middle-Middle take-out, the next. 

Jon  
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 9:36am
I did an overnighter on the hells canyon section of the snake river.  It sure is nice to have rafts with you on a trip like that.  I know some people that did overnighters on the Stein up in B.C. and also the Clendenning.  But that takes using a float plane. 
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 10:27am
Having done many self support overnighters i would have to say there are 2 that top my list of must do's.

A couple of you have mentioned the Grand Canyon of the Elwha. This is a superb overnighter with some of the best whitewater a paddler could ask for. The main issue with that run is the hike in... 8.5 miles with gear.  We did this trip last year, and i'm looking forward to hitting it again this year as well.

My favorite hands down though, is the South Fork Salmon.  The camping is superb, the whitewater is classic and the trip as a whole can be done in 3,4,or 5 days. Brian and I  2 seasons ago,  went just the two of us. We spent 5 days self support on the SF salmon,  turned the corner on the main and finished on the snake. Something like 90miles.  Think we spent around  8 days on the water total ,carrying all our gear in IK's.  

Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 11:44am
Jon, the Pratt River would be an excellent overnighter.  The trail fairly sucks and takes awhile.  It's worth it though.  Jerry, Chris B and I did it in one very long day 2 years ago.  I'm in whenever you want to go.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 11:59am
I would be into the Pratt for sure too!

I am going to sit down and plan out a few overnighters. One thing is for sure... it takes a bit more planning than just going out and day boating.

J
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 4:46pm
I would be into the pratt as well -- great idea.  I know Tom is looking to get some folks in there to document it for the pending Wild and Scenic push. 

Overnighters are absolutely my favorite form of outdoor recreation.  While it's true our geology prevents 80 mile wilderness runs, we have some fantastic options. 

I'd like to pitch an idea to the group:  How about we rent out Shang-ri-la on the Green and overnight in the gorge?  ;-)

As well as Jon's good list of overnighters, we've also stayed on the Wynoochee.  The sauk and skagit are both commonly done. 

There's a great bedrock bench river left a bit beloe Double Drop on the truss.  I'd love to spend a night in there this summer -- grill going, paddlers dropping and saying hello, it's be pretty sweet.

My goal for 2008 is to self-support once a month.  Last year I got in 9 overnighters, this year I'm going for 12. 

erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 4:35pm
I did not win any of my Four Rivers lottery drawings. Poo.
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 6:18pm
howdy y'all.

In the interest of persuing my multiday in every month of the year agenda, I will be headed to Oregon for some laziness next weekend.  Probably the Lower Des Chutes will be the venue, though we may opt for the upper NF John Day ...

Most likely a 3 day trip with Monday off. 

--B
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2008 at 8:33pm
Has anyone done the Lost river?
jblum
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Don Blumin Looper

Quote jblum Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2008 at 12:33am
Sandstrom...  I just found out I made my annual donation to Idaho as well...  Much agreed on the quality of overnighters.  Once they get the Condit dam off the White Salmon, that will be a killer 2-3 day trip from Farmlands down to the Columbia.  The Klick is a good multi with GREAT camping.
JHB
erikSANDSTROM
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote erikSANDSTROM Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2008 at 4:37pm
I got to do the MF this summer and wanted to go back to explore a bit deeper.
This river don't go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn.
Will
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Will Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2008 at 11:11am
Yeah John,

I am in for that Pratt trip.
What could possibly go wrong?
Jordan2
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Jordan2 Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 1:48pm
Middle Fork of the Feather, CA

Double or Triple Overnight.

Worth the Effort!
jalmquist
McNasty
McNasty

Quote jalmquist Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 7:36pm

Will, James, Brian, Meghan - Sounds like we may have a small crew for the Pratt.  Nothing like a good forest slog followed by a night bedded down in Devil's Club.  Let's target May 17-18, with the understanding plans might change last minute pending water or weather.  I'll contact Tom about his eternal quest for documentation and see what he's thinking.  I'll also drop it on the trip schedule.  Spread the word. 

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 6:21am
I'm in for the Pratt. I have a new bivy with zero holes in it.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version