Professor Paddle: Contact lenses vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Contact lenses Post Reply Post New Topic
rockhound71
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rockhound71 Replybullet Topic: Contact lenses
    Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 6:32am
Hey all:
I'm a noob to whitewater kayaking and I just had a question for anyone who wears contact lenses...do you still wear them when you get out? Or do you wear glasses with croakies?

Thanks!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 8:00am
I wear contacts when I boat but they can be problematic.  Sometimes, when water splashes me in the face, it can cause my lenses to float and then I can't see anything for a little bit of time so I try to close my eyes briefly just before I get hit with water (this could explain lots of poor boating by me).

I wouldn't worry too much about losing your lenses on the river.  I've accidentally opened my eyes underwater lots of times while setting up for a roll and surface tension keeps the lenses on your eyes.
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
rockhound71
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote rockhound71 Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 8:32am
Thanks!
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 9:14am
Heather lost a contact when we were boating the lower gorge on the green a few years back and didn't realize it till she almost drove off the road.
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 9:49am
I have the same problem as harms, a little splash and the lens can start floating on your eye.  On occasion though, my lens will fall out when I try to get it back in the right place.

So my word of advice, 1 day disposables.  You lose one, put another on, no big deal.
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 10:24am
I've boated for years with contacts and I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost one. I usually carry an extra on multidays; paddling with one lense is doable but annoying.
Using 1 day disposables is good advice because the river water can increase the chance of bacterial growth on the contacts.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:02am
If you are wearing dailies, they won't work very well while paddling. What tends to work better is if you get some 2-week or monthly lenses specifically for paddling. The harder lenses won't be as sensitive to the PH differential between your eyes and the water.

The brands I have found that work well are the o2 optics and acuevue 2. Both in the 2 week versions.

I tend to tuck some spares in my PFD.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 24 Mar 2008 at 11:03am
ashleygoesdisco
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
Princess Sparkle Horse

Quote ashleygoesdisco Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 11:23am
I wear the overnight ones, and I've never had issues. Never lost a contact in the river, only once in the pool, and I was dorking around and deserved it. I've still got glasses, but I find that with contacts, I forget that I have terrible eyes.
Ashley Duffus
Well behaved women rarely make history.
www.naiyadays.blogspot.com
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 5:35pm
I've always used contacts.  And like Arno, I've developed the instinct to close my eyes before getting splashed in the face or when I'm going under.  I roll with my eyes closed.

I've only had a lens fall out a couple of times.  But, there are differences between lens types.  I've found the one-day disposables to be the worst.  Initially it seemed like a good idea, you lose one, you replace it, no problem; but it seemed like I was adjusting the dang things after every rapid and I eventually lost one.  So, I went back to the two-week type and it's all better.  They seem to stay in my eye better.  I suppose there may be a difference between brands, so you may want to check with the guys here who've had better luck than I have.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
cloudpeak
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote cloudpeak Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 5:57pm
I wear daily contacts. When a wave splashes me in the face, my contacts often float around and make my vision bleary for a while. This can make running a rapid more challenging to say the least. I've also lost more than a few pairs, especially when boating bigger water. As a result I always carry spares in the pocket on my Astral PFD.

Carter_M
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Carter_M Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 9:33pm
I've kayaked for around 13 years with contacts and I think I've lost one once. I think mine are the month long variety but I don't really remember (I wear them until they're uncomfortable). I've lost more on my bike than in my kayak! I can't stand trying to wear glasses or sunglasses on the water.
hugo
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote hugo Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2008 at 10:18pm
i wear a water mask, that keeps my contacts in nice and tight.

try it.
suck it
rockhound71
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote rockhound71 Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 6:03am
Thanks for all the responses!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version