Professor Paddle: Looking for Recommendations: River Runner vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Looking for Recommendations: River Runner Post Reply Post New Topic
mcolgin
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mcolgin Replybullet Topic: Looking for Recommendations: River Runner
    Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 3:29pm
Hey all. I've been researching online for a river-runner, in which I'll dedicate to stuff that's >= Class IV and not creeks.

But I'm having some troubles finding a boat in which my paddling weight is closer to what it's designed for; as I hate being in a boat that can handle over +25% more in body weight (250 lbs) and don't like being at the top of the range.

My body type is 6', 32" inseam, feet:11 and 205 lbs.

It's been a while since Iooked at the latest boat designs, but before getting into playboats, I had a Pyranha S8 (58 gal); which I liked a lot, but didn't care for the edges in the back (aka swallow tail). I then moved to a Dagger Kingpin 6.3 (56 gal); I loved this boat, but wanted something snappier and quicker on the water. Now I'm in a Crazy 88 6.3 (48 gal).

I know the hybrid boat-designs aren't all that great sometimes, so I'd love to get some suggestions on a good river-runner, that can handle good water-volume, can do some playboating; but mostly is stable, good rockers and quick maneuverability.

(shut up Ryan <smile>)

== Boats I've Had ==
Crazy 88 (48 gal)
Kingpin 6.3 (56 gal)
Pyranha S8 235 (58 gal)
Bliss Mac-1 (73 gal)

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 7:45pm
I'm Looking at the 4Fun by Jackson, it is comfy and has playability, plus its a river runner! It may be the perfect boat for a big guy like me. 6'3" 210lbs size 13 feet
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
hutchm
Paddler
Paddler

Quote hutchm Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 8:08pm
Give the 420 m/l a try. I am currently in the crazy 88 6.3 and thought the fit and river running was better in the pyranha. I am 6'1", 34" inseam, size 11 feet, and a blistering 155lbs.

There is no way the crazy 88 is 48gal, more like 54??? Not sure what dagger was smoking that day, but it must have been good stuff.
Yaris power baby
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:38pm

The Fun series would be a great option for a river-runner/playboat combo and I wouldn't shy away from checking out the Star series (both Jackson boats).  I have the SuperStar and find it very well balanced and pretty fast for a playboat and I'm at the upper end of its weight range.  Very comfortable as well.

justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:30pm
If you decide on the 420 M/L good luck on finding one.
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 2:57pm
The burn is good if you don't want to play
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version