Professor Paddle: event NRS Drusuit? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: event NRS Drusuit? Post Reply Post New Topic
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Online Status: Offline
  Quote slickhorn Replybullet Topic: event NRS Drusuit?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 12:52pm
I see NRS is now offering an eVent drysuit. 

Anyone used it?  Comments? 

How does this stack up to Kokatat's goretex suits?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:10pm
This is a question for the Fabric Fanatic!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:12pm
That's who I'm tryin' to suss out. 

tradguy -- help!!

--B
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 3:45pm
I'm here for you B.

I can tell you that eVent is much more breathable and just as waterproof as Goretex. 

What I can't tell you is how durable the NRS Drysuit is since that depends on the quality of construction and the durabilty of the face fabric that the laminate (eVent) is bonded to.  Odds are that if you are happy with older NRS stuff you will be happy with this.  

Finally, IMHO beathability, while nice, has only a short term value for whitewater kayakers.  The primary reason is that once the DWR wears out and the face fabric wets out (i.e. the water soaks in rather than beading up) breathability drops significantly regardless of the laminate because that layer of water is now the limiting factor.  Because whitewater kayaking tends to break down DWR treatments after only a few times out the breathability of the laminate is only important for the first few uses.  Washing and drying most garments helps restore DWR treatments but the latex gaskets on drysuits preclude this. 

Basically, if you trust the quality of NRS products and the price is good go ahead and get the drysuit. 

Edited by tradguy2 - 22 Apr 2008 at 3:47pm
... preparing for a river beating!     
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 4:27pm
Thanks Tom!  That's very helpful. 

Backs up a bit of what I've felt about switching from my old nylon to goretex drysuit.  It is nice, but not sure it's 2x the price nice. 

I hear REI is moving to eVent fabric.  Is that more because you find eVent superior, or a licensing issue?  Ha!  Bet that's tough to answer in public, but I thought I'd try to ask anyway. 
Will
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Will Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 7:52pm
From someone who hates to admit that I have spent more than my fair share of time in outdoor retail......

eVent should be more breathable than Gore. Durability will depend on whatever outerlayer they laminate to the eVent. The waterproof layer itself should be similar in terms of durability. Historically, NRS has done pretty well with the durability of their drysuits. Also, their warranty program is solid. I think it will probably not be quite as nice as a Kokatat but still a worthy option. Is it cheaper?

The best thing about Gore-tex is that it is warrantied by both the product manufacturer and Gore. So if your suit fails and Kokatat won't fix it. Gore guarantees it for life so you can send it back to them. Most likely eVent won't have that type of warranty.

I still think the eVent is worth a shot. Way before Stohli, Palm and IR.

What could possibly go wrong?
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 10:14pm
Bryan,  REI is making the move to eVent because it is better than Goretex.  The other guys in the lab and I have been pushing for it for years but it took a while for 2 reasons:
1.  eVent is more expensive and it is tough to justify the price to the consumers who, for the most part have not heard of eVent.
2.  Gortex has been strongly discouraging companies from using eVent.   I don't think I should elaborate on this part .
... preparing for a river beating!     
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 10:44am
I understand some of DuPont's licensing threats ...

Nice to hear that you have such a high opinion of eVent.  I'll look forward to trying out one of these new suits. 

Thanks Tom!

--B
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version