Professor Paddle: logging your runs vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: logging your runs Post Reply Post New Topic
SYOTR
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SYOTR Replybullet Topic: logging your runs
    Posted: 05 May 2008 at 2:49pm
Is there a way to log  the runs I do. I'm looking for a place to be able to keep track of the runs I do. That way I could see how many times I actually paddled thoughout the year . It would be cool to see what everyone is doing. Like what the "hottest" river run is etc. It would be nice to have the statistics public but the comment that you add to the run for the day to be private or allowed to be viewed by buddies only. If there is nothing here on PP, can anyone recommend a semiprivate online journal?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff 
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 5:33am
I've kept a journal for 3 years listing the date, river, flow (to keep me honest), people present and carnage.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:42am
I use a database program to log my runs now. I have been logging all my river trips since 1994. I switched to using a database program about 3 or 4 years ago. It's nice because I can search through it to find different rivers.

I have fields for the flow, trip participants, flow notes, misc. notes, etc.

I enter the river level for that run, and what I thought of it (medium, low, try again higher/lower etc.), my overall impression of the run, interesting things that happened, hazards, etc.

The best thing about it, is that if I want to run a river I haven't been on in years I can go and see what I thought of the run at a particular level. I trust my own impression of a run much more than any guidebook.

I use Appleworks database program, since it's easy to use. You could do the same thing with Filemaker or Access, etc.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SYOTR
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote SYOTR Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 6:49pm
Thanks Meghan and Joe for your responses,

Maybe logging your runs on Professor Paddle is in the works   Wouldn't be cool to see who is really Big Boofer on any particular river. Or knowing what run is "hot" for the month.

Anyone else log their runs online? If so, what do you use?

-Jeff
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 8:40pm
Jeff,

I dig the idea, and I have had a similar idea in the past. The beginning of it was what I called favorite runs. If you click the Settings button at the top of the page when your logged in then scroll down you will see in the personal page area that there is a tool called favorite runs. Check it out. Very similar. I was going to build on that and turn it into a riverlog but it really never got used so I did not elaborate on it much.

As it is now you can make personal river lists and bookmark flows that your trying to zone in on. In a few minutes there will also be NWRFC's added to this favorites tool just like the homepage, request of D1.

Rally some support for your cause and I will give you the tool in your liking!

J
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SYOTR
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote SYOTR Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2008 at 10:12pm
Thanks James for the consideration. I would definitely use a riverlog on Professor Paddle. I'm sure many would as well. Some of the advantages of a riverlog that I could see are:
  1. Keeping you honest on how many runs you actually did during the year
  2. Keeping track of what levels you like on particular runs
  3. Professor Paddle could use the stats to see which runs are "hot" for the month (Listing the top 10 would be cool)
  4. Seeing who is the Big Boofer of each run
  5. Showing how many runs done on your profile (like the posts stat)
  6. hmmm I'm sure you could think of some other applications of this riverlog
Anyone else think this would be cool?

-Jeff

PS the post above should have read "Wouldn't  IT be cool to see who is really Big Boofer on any particular river. Or knowing what run is "hot" for the month."
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version