Professor Paddle: Granite/Ruby vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Granite/Ruby Post Reply Post New Topic
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote swimseat Replybullet Topic: Granite/Ruby
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:41am
      I've got a lovely little 4+ run that should be jammin here pretty soon. Granite/Ruby is a killer run for class 4+ paddlers who know how to manage tiny eddies and can keep their cool in a small creek environment with some wood hazards.  Up until this last summer, I've been paddling with my old man, (since the age of 9; actually,)  but since his cancer got serious there's not much paddling he can do and that leaves me without a paddling buddy...   I am familiar with the run because I've done it at various flows different times of the year, so I can pretty much lead the whole thing, but it would be killer to have somebody along.  It's one of my favorite washington creeks; (reminds me a lot of the chilliwack, and a bit of the golden canyon stretch of the S. Fork Clearwater.)
   I live in Mazama, so the ride to this stretch of river for me is only around an hour or so.

If you're interested, read up on the run and hit me up.
mixmastermax
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:56am
I would love to join you sometime.  I live in Wenatchee and will be in that area on and off throughout the summer.  Please let me know when a good time would be and lets see if we can make it work.
Chris Ohta
425-466-8370

Edited by H2Ohta - 12 May 2008 at 11:56am
H2Ohta
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:03pm
I'm in, too.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimseat Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:23pm

I suppose I should correct myself and say that the whole run isn't 4+, but the Granite Cr. stretch is and because of the continous nature of the whole run and the potential for wood I'd say as a whole it's 4/4+.   I'm excited to see people interested in running this beautiful creek.  I'm going to monitor the flows for a bit and see where she's at in the next couple of weeks (maybe a month or so,) but as soon as the flows are optimal and I've scouted it out, I'll set up a trip.

mixmastermax
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:29pm
I love this run... I haven't done the "upper Granite" run yet, but I've hit the lower "Granite Ruby" a few times. I seem to hit it only at high water (8000 on Methow) or low (2900 on Methow)... I'd like to see it medium.

With the snow we have and the high elevation watershed, I think we'll have good water well into July this year.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:30pm
Hey Swimseat... you ever run the Twisp or Chewuch? Never run either of those, but I drove up the Twisp road last year... and it looked like fun... kind of like a smaller, faster version of the Tieton.
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimseat Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:46pm
the twisp river isn't much of a run, there are some wave trains and "supposedly" a fantastic play wave (a wave which I have never seen,) but the story is that it flows into the woods (read about it in "A guide to the Whitewater Rivers of Washington.) So I've never run the Twisp, but the Chewuch does have nice little stretch that will keep your blood pumping.  The "Upper Section" (Andrews Camp to Camp Four) has been clogged with wood for years, and we're still waiting for a big flow to clear it up.  I wouldn't come to the methow to run the chewuch, but if you're passing through and want a quick jaunt, it's worth it.  I'm not sure what the status is on the wier that was there (they were supposed to do some work on it,) so I'd do some research. The Lost is supposed to be an epic run; but because of the hike in I still have yet to run it.
mixmastermax
Otter Boy
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Otter Boy Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:08pm
Hey Swimseat,

I"ve been trying to get on this creek for a couple years now. When are we going? Can you do a weekday trip?

- Otterboy
swimseat
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote swimseat Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:17pm
I'm going to refer to the link at the bottom and personal check-ups to gauge when the run is prime.                              

mixmastermax
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:02pm
I'm interested in the upper run as well. I'll stay tuned. Thanks for the beta.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:36pm
Hey Swinseat-- I REALLY want to check out Granite/Ruby runs. Any and all of it. Mostly need to be clued in to the best time to hit iit up, But I'd also really like to paddle it with someone who knows it so well--makes for a fun trip that way.

You're the trip leader! DEFINITELY keep us posted, and count me in too!

JP
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 8:53am
Did anyone get out on either the upper or lower run this season?
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 9:44am
Hawthorne and I got on the Upper a couple months back when it was 4k+ at Methow.  I have no idea what this run is like at lower bone flows but at this flow the upper was solid V with V+ sections thrown in to keep it exciting.  The saying "it's like running through the woods and the trees are trying to kill you" came to mind.  Good amount of strainers in some bad spots.  We portaged 2 BIG rapids as well.

Not sure if that helped at all but there ya go.

Edited by PaulGamache - 04 Aug 2008 at 9:48am
27/320 & 1 bootie
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 2:05pm
Thanks for the info, that does help. I've always figured that the Methow is not the best way to judge levels on this creek, but at this point it seems to be what people use.

Methow ran out of water kind of early this year, and I figured Granite and Ruby probably lasted much longer into the season... more like other N.Cascade streams, Bacon creek for instance. Perhaps not as much as Cascade or Thunder which come off very large glaciers, but still I would assume Granite would run well into July most years... it would be great to have a better way of estimating flows. WA Dept of Ecology has been busy putting gagues on streams... maybe they'll add Ruby to the list.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 3:07pm

I would be interested in next week, mid week.

Joel_Werdell
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Joel_Werdell Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 3:57pm
Sounds like a great run.  Count me in.
To plug or not to plug...now that is the question
Bothell, WA
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 4:10pm
Huh. So we didn't miss the Granite/Ruby flows, huh? I guess I'd still be interested in checking them out if they we still in the medium-ish range. Otherwise I'll have to pass till next year! At least I finally got up to check out the Cascade...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 4:18pm
Before anyone runs out to hit Granite... I better point out that no-one is saying that it is in right now (not saying it isn't either). Just trying to find out from those who have run it this year what it was like when they were on it. So far, just Paul has responded, and his run was a couple months back.

Edited by JoesKayak - 04 Aug 2008 at 4:18pm
bigboatsrule
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote bigboatsrule Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 11:22am
I ran the lower (granite ruby)  july 5th and 6th and it was really low - very abusive to the boat. 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 10:13pm
cool. Gotta have some "new" runs to save for next year anyhow. --oh, and by the way:
Big Boats DO Rule. They HAVE ruled, and mark my words: they WILL rule again!!!!!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version