Professor Paddle: Fixes & Updates vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
 Professor Paddle : Site Support : Ideas / Issues / Problems / Fixes / Updates
Message Icon Topic: Fixes & Updates Post Reply Post New Topic
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Replybullet Topic: Fixes & Updates
    Posted: 22 Nov 2006 at 1:11pm
We are 1 day into the new site and there are already a few little things here and there that I am seeing that need to be changed. This list we be an updated view of what is in line for change and improvement.

1. Prevent Gallery Albums from being created with no name. (Tradguy, James)
  2. Fix Pool Session Page & Link (James)
  3. Write instructions for Image & Video uploads (Tradguy, James)
  4. Create PM Notification tool (James)
  5. Finish Trip Email Tools (James)
  6. Add content to Homepage (Beth - I know you deserve better beth, but I'm tired )  Ok Added More
  7. Make Trip Planner Better (ktw)
  8. Create Site Color Selector (Hydro, Tradguy, Pow, Spilly, ktw)
  9. Edit Main Forum Page. To Many Lame Orange Forum Headers (James)
  10. Add PM Link to all pages by User Settings Link (James)
  11. Add New fields to media that ties users into photo's and offer user listings. (Harms)
  12. Add New Comments Page to show Author's what photos or blog posts have new comments from users or visitors.
  13. Make Trip Planner Even Better - Add a Link & Discussion Tool for Trips (Arno)
  14. Migrate Data over from the old site (Arno)
  15. Steamline PersonalPage Features with Gallery & Profile (Arno)
As items are suggested they will be added to this list and tackled at the appropriate time.

Edited by James - 01 Dec 2006 at 10:34am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 23 Nov 2006 at 6:52pm
Nice Oyster eating Avitar!
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 24 Nov 2006 at 9:43am
Skookie Snacks!
... preparing for a river beating!     
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 4:36pm
Added new Thumbnail control for forum images.

Thumbnail Tests

Test Complete

Edited by James - 01 Dec 2006 at 12:46pm
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 4:52pm
James,
With the old site, I would respond to a topic and would get reply's sent directly to my inbox.  Can we set that up again?  I'm not getting them anymore.
Courtney
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 26 Nov 2006 at 5:00pm
Courtney,

The option is still available you just have to re-select the Auto-Notify option in your settings.

Let me know if further explanation is needed.

When I migrated the data over there was alot to do and, well quite honestly I took a few shortcuts here and there. User Bindings was one of them. Sorry. If you had settings on the old site, you best get in there and re-set them.

James
arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 7:10pm
James,
Hey.  I am new to WW kayaking and even newer to PP and I find this site to be fabulous.  Lots of super great people and valuable information.  Thanks very much for the work on the site.

Take the following feedback in that context...
1) I'm not sure why you removed the "forum" feature of the trip planner.  It seemed to me to be valuable for people to be able to post trip related questions, etc. and hang that information with the trip.  Perhaps the intent is to use a separate thread for this or even PM but it seems that something was lost here.

2) The old site had tons of interesting information to a newbie.  When I first discovered this site, I searched for information on rivers, etc. and found the information "database" that was embedded in the old forum to be very valuable.  It would be great if somehow this info wasn't lost forever.  I know you had a link to the old site when you first went live with the new site but that doesn't seem to work for me anymore.  Furthermore, if there was someway maintaining this info in some form when migrating, I think it will be even more valuable in the future.  As an example from another sport, I'm really into mountain biking and I've used the mtbr site as an amazing reference for getting beta about trails, repair information for bikes, etc.  Sometimes that information is years old but still super relevent.

3) I started to play with some of the new personal page settings.  Entered a Bio about myself.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it isn't obvious to me when this information shows up or how I can browse other folks info.  I know I can click on someone's name in a post but it isn't clear how to pull up the bio from there.  There is a link to a "gallery" page but mostly that returns an error message (yours doesn't; but others do).

That's all the feedback for now.  Thanks again.
arn
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2006 at 10:31pm
Arno,

Thanks for the feedback, Check it dog.

1. Thread Feature was removed because I was sick of people including my self of hyjacking trip threads off into other random discussions ... Also so much chit chat does down in those threads that as details changed it was difficult to keep track of what was going on. I do hear you though. I have missed that feature myself. Here is how we can meet in the middle.

I will create a new forum room called trip planner. it will be closed to all posting of new topics. When a trip is created a thread will be posted there for discussion regarding that trip. A discussion thread link will also appear on the Trip Planner. This will keep the details easy to find and no mis communicated by thread yakin, and it will allow for trip chat.

2. No argument. It needs to come over, I agree. The real question is When? Until then were building a new base baby.

3. It is hard to explain but there are different areas of the site and the members can participate in the site how ever they want.

- All members have a Profile, This is mandatory because it is the basis of registration. (User Name, contact methods etc..)
 - All members can have a Gallery with Albums, But not all members choose to. I need to fix the error that is displayed when a user does not have a gallery. (Bad Coding)
 - All members can have a Personal Website (Personal Page), but again you don't have to. You can have a Gallery and no Personal Page, just as you can have a Personal Page and no Gallery. The Gallery, Favorite Runs, Blog, and Trip Reports are little extensions of your personal site. The About me page is more indepth detail about you, and the home page is obviously an introduction page. It is clear that this is all unclear and I need to kinda go through and make it all fluid. When you are building this stuff and emersed in it daily, it is hard to step back and imagine what people will think when they have never interacted with it before.

And now lastly. As a tribute to my first argument. This thread will soon get very long. Because it is an important one that everyone should want to participate in (Lurkers). When it gets long people stop paying attention to the list I have made at the top, and they only read the last few posts. It is hard to step into a thread that is like 25 posts long so people don't read the first ones. Just FYI. Read that First Post it gets updated almost daily. Some days I bump it and other days I don't ... You jes gotta watch it if ya care.

Thanks again Arno for the input ... watch it go to work bro!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:37am
Yea or Neigh on the Homepage Gauges? Keep or Toss?
xanthopb
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Can Fangula the Greek!

Quote xanthopb Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 11:56am
Yea.  I was going to make a request for the homepage gauges.

Tried to upload an avatar but the link goes no where for me (ie nothing happens).

-Brad

Edited by xanthopb - 01 Dec 2006 at 11:56am
O-Qua Tangin Wann
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 12:46pm
Brad,

Make sure your avatar is less than 25k in size. If it is bigger you are not allowed to make it your avatar. Try re-sizing it and then uploading it again once the size is under 25k
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 1:53pm
I'll vote with brad here, keep the homepage gauges.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Dec 2006 at 2:01pm
Gauges stay.
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster