Professor Paddle: Need boat advice vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Need boat advice Post Reply Post New Topic
deborah
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel
Cookie Fairy

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deborah Replybullet Topic: Need boat advice
    Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 6:56pm

Arn and I are headed to the Middle Fork of the Salmon on Wednesday.  I'm having a hard time deciding which boat to take --- the Diesel 65 or the Fuse 48.  Levels should be about 3 1/2 feet and the trip is raft supported (space for gear in the boat is not a consideration). 

I've had the Fuse for about 2 weeks and it is proving to be a very sweet boat.  I had a bad relationship with the Jackson Fun, so I'm hoping the Fuse and I form a different kind of bond.  I'm a super nervous boater on new water and I suffer from PRSD (post-rapid stress disorder).  So, the Diesel offers comfort, forgiveness and some piece of mind.  I'm not a play boater, but would like to find my surfing "legs".  Advice?  Thoughts?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 7:12pm
I am always the advocate of play boats for trips like these. A Diesel might be a little more forgiving but you will probably not learn anything.

I suspect that you would be fine on the Middle Fork with a Fuse and that you will learn more about edge control. If you are nervous, scout! You can probably paddle ahead of the rafts to scout something big.

I have not done the Middle Fork. This is my general advice for any III-IV river run for you, Deb. If you want Middle Fork specific advice someone else might be better equipped to help you.

So long as you are comfortable (in terms of both boating and feet/legs) in the Fuse, that is what I would recommend.

I assume you guys are going with raft support. Rafts will be slow so you don't need to worry about hull speed for keeping up with others.

I very strongly recommend the fuse.

Edited by kayaktheworld - 29 Jun 2008 at 7:16pm
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 7:57pm
You could fit allot of cookies in the Diesel! Allot more than the Fuse!

But if you want to have fun I would bring the Fuse. You can always throw it on the raft if you don't want to run a rapid and it is small enough to do so easily.

Thanks for the cookie this weekend!

Your local cookie bum,

Dave
Nomad
sworcester
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote sworcester Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 8:45pm
Deb,

Are you guys going with the De Riemers? If so take the play boat if you are comfy in it.. They provide expert guidance (as you know) on the bigger drops if you ask.
If you're doing a private trip, and are the only kayakers, I'd take the diesel.
Have a great trip you two, Steve
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2008 at 1:22am
Deb, If I were you I would take the fuse.  If anything looks too dificult to run, you can just lash the playboat to the raft and enjoy the ride from the safety of it.  I believe that there is some great surfing to be had on the Middle Fork of the Salmon.  I hope you have a  blast there no matter what you decide to paddle.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version