Professor Paddle: custom fiberglass surf boats vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: custom fiberglass surf boats Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kiwi Replybullet Topic: custom fiberglass surf boats
    Posted: 18 Sep 2008 at 9:53pm
my highschool requires a culminating project to graduate, only problem is it can't have to do with anything related to water or outside, (donkey basketball is on the list of restricted things) I thought that designing and then building a fiberglass surf boat would be a sweet cp, but I'm not sure how to go about it. does anyone have experence with building something like this? how much would it cost? do you use foam to mold a blank or something?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 8:40am
Kiwi, a friend of mine did one a couple years ago. Similarly, he had no experience, but just wanted to build one. A friend of his helped him, I think materials ran him about $400-500. I know there are books. One by local, Gary Korb I think. It looks pretty good. The foam was a B getting out. He used the pink rigid foam you can buy in sheets from Home Depot. Let us know how it's coming. Post some pics. Good luck!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 8:58am
Yeah, I know gary, I think my best option is to go up to PA and check out his boats and talk to him. I've seen a couple of them. just looking around the internet I found the fluid element, maybe redesign that in fiberglass? idk.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 8:59am
and I'm only a sophomore, so it's not due till at the earliest, en of next year.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 9:17am
That sounds like a sick little project . You shoul build a wooden paddle while your at it. I remember my high school had a boat shop. The fiber glass boat's that I saw being built had wooden skeletins ?? I'm sure boat building has advanced by now.  I sure would like to see how it's done though. Remind me to tell ya the joke about the wooden eye !!! Anyway take lot's of pics. Good luck !!
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 9:24am
I remember one of the problems he had was not putting enough clear coats on to stiffen up the sidewalls. It had some flex going on. Make that thing stiff!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 3:10pm
I've been looking for help on this too. I found a pretty good write up on "The Gecko Boat" which seems really cool. The maker didn't take out all the foam, just enough form a cockpit:
http://www.ptone.com/Kayak/surfboat/building/

I'm interested in laying one up. Anyone else in the Seattle area interested? We could likely save some money (and frustration) helping each other out.

I couldn't find a Gary Korb book about boat building:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Gary%20Korb

Chuck e, let's hear the wooden eye story.

In any case, let us know how it works out for you and what spend on it. I found this on the cost of a cedar strip kayak and am trying to figure out how much epoxy and glass (or kevlar) I would need for a Gecko:
http://www.nessmuking.com/mykayak12b.htm

Good luck,

D
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2008 at 5:48pm
yeah, that boat looks really good. I think I would skip on the fins though for durability.
also, I'm 6'5" and 200 lbs, what's a good length?
I like the design of the squashtail and incut sidewalls, but still want to be able to spin and maybe later get arieal, any ideas for that design?
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:50am
no one?
come on...
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 1:27pm
I have a Wavesport Forplay that surfs quite well, but sometimes pearls in smaller waves. It has a chine that is cut in a little, a bit like what you can see here:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://playak.com/images/boats/jackson-kayak/side-kick-2008.jpg&imgrefurl=http://playak.com/kayaks.php%3Fid%3D1195&h=450&w=176&sz=20&hl=en&start=11&sig2=fmtLqvJpEgQlEK_dr_5LZg&um=1&usg=__ED-po9h1AfLoBBFSvhTz-pld8lg=&tbnid=Cc_rGau8rWflDM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=50&ei=cEzZSIaPHIyipwT66ZWzBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwavesport%2Bforplay%2Bkayak%2Bchine%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

I think it gives me a better carve, but I don't think I could do 360s even if I knew how.

Other ideas could come from here:
http://surfyak.com/_wsn/page4.html - think I may buy the $40 DVD, but am undecided. I don't want a wooden boat, just a good design.
http://www.surfkayaks.com/products/surf/surf_frames.html - I may just try to mimic one of these. Links to different boats are at the top.

Let me know what the rest of you find. Anyone else on this thread near Seattle? Also, are you all thinking ocean surfing, or river play?

D
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 1:30pm
I just saw this explanation of shapes:
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 3:35pm
mostly ocean waves. but if it works wll enough I might bring it to a park and play spot. I wouldent want to take a glass boat downriver.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:53pm
I'm gonna weigh in here for this one: You want to build fiberglass/ kevlar kayaks?

First realize that it is unlikely that anything you produce on your first try will actually be something you want to paddle. I know I know, you're gonna say that you just want to build one boat, satisfy your criteria for school, ect,

I think that if you truly love to kayak, you should consider a slightly longer arc than the one you may be currently imagining. You should consider the possibility that it may take 3 boats before you come up with something really sweet. Check this out...

While there's talent here in the northwest (Gary Korb knows what's up), It is undeniable that the EAST is the MECCA for fiberglass whitewater boat building. From the earliest river runners, up through the 1980's, the art and science of glass boats became quite sophisticated and beautiful. The U.S. Slalom team was based out of Washington D.C., and people in nearby West Virginia, Friendsville Maryland, ect. experienced a BIG BANG of sorts. People Like John Sweet, Davey Hearn, The Snyder Brothers, Jesse Whittemore, to name but a few, refined and perfected the production process of lightweight, STRONG, high performance boats. The community was fertile and lots of ideas flourished. Few people know this, but some of those guys (Snyder & co.)were making proto types of really short, planing hull surf boats (very similar to modern playboat). I saw some of them when I was a kid. It's just that the slicy designs were what they were interested at the time (squirtboats), so that's what caught on.

I understand that you may not be able to make a full blown pilgrimage back there to learn the craft, but fiberglass boat building is a serious craft. You certainly do not want to try to reinvent the wheel, or remain isolated and spend your time and effort on something such as this without the right work shop, materials, and information.

The Very First place I would recommend is...
http://www.sweetcomposites.com

Davey Hearn has taken over John Sweet's company distributing material for boat builders. They'll be able to provide you with lots of valuable info too. I think it's awesome that you are interested in building boats. You may discover something really incredible. You can totally build a nice boat in a garage.

Do it! And once you get good at building them, build me one! I'll buy it from you.

Edited by wetmouse - 23 Sep 2008 at 10:00pm
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:11pm
More than two cents more...

Why don't you want to paddle a glass boat on the river?  They don'e shatter when you hit rocks. Yeah, you can't just hammer them on rocks. But you can paddle all kinds of stuff. The Sky? no problem above 1000 cfs. The Green? O.k. it has its manky spots. The White Salmon? From BZ corners to Husum falls (including Husum falls) is good to go in a glass boat. Again, just don't expect to do any E.L.F. boating in a glass boat.

What happened to paddling skill? I'll tell you: Plastic boats came along and the skilll level of the average paddler has dropped significantly. People hit alll kinds of rocks because they can. But most of them can be avoided.

If you have a glass boat, you have an incentive to hit less rocks. With that comes a more sophisticated and refined paddling style. You can still slide over some domes and smooth rocks, but you generally DO want to be on familiar runs where you know the makeup of the river, it's true. You don't want a fiberglass creeker, for example. That's obvious. But a playboat? I think glass playboats would be rad! Rodeo Hole ain;t gonna beat up a boat when it's jiucy and fun in there.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 8:51am
I think I'll try and make a trek up to PA too look at gary's workshop. thanks for all the info, I also have to come up with the funds. but I'll post pic's whenever I start building.
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:22pm
I would love to have a fiberglass, surfboard like, floor for my Stiletto.  I wonder if the Snyder's ever played around with a fiberglass floor for their Thrillseekers!  I think having a fiberglass stiff and light board as my floor instead of the water logging three piece foam would be a HUGE improvement for my IK....

Nothing to do with the thread:::::

When I was at the Cheat a couple of years ago the guy at the campground/put-in said he would call his buddy Jim Snyder to find out what the flow was.  I said, Jim Snyder?  you mean THE Jim Snyder?  When Snyder heard we had duckies he told the guy to tell us not to go or that we better know what the hell we were doing and that it was pretty high for duckies.  We were looking to rent an IK too but he said no one he knows would do such a thing.  Instead, Aaron drove up to the Yock and rented a Thrillseeker and drove it down to the Cheat and back in one day.  That was not allowed by the company. 

The Cheat was awesome!

One thing about the East coast for sure is that either you are a hardshell kayaker or a river guide or both.  Anyone who is in a duckie is either new, a customer, a dumbass, or all of the above.  Also there are hardly any private rafters out there...

Edited by franzhorner - 24 Sep 2008 at 12:23pm
MORE RAIN PLEASE
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:54pm
Actually, Franz, there's more private rafting than you think, it's just that the Shredder happens to be the local raftcraft of choice. The YOUGH is, after all where it was invented. The Cheat is a blast.

Yeah, there's predjudice against IK's pretty much everywhere. Boat Bigots can be found in all corners of the paddling world, saddly. The Snyders and lots of others pioneered lots of crazy steep creeks back there in Thrilseekers, as you all know. Some of those creeks were later run in hardshells, and some to this day have not been. I've seen video of those guys running drops in those things, slamming into boulders that were entirely unavoidable, and catapulting quite high into the air. Still some of the craziest shit I've seen on video.

And then there's "Striding" of course. Fish brought back a photo of one of Jeff's disciples running Pillow Rock in one. An "elevated" form of IK-ing, one might say.

I like your Fiberglass floor idea though! just make sure it's solid enough not to flex and splinter on ya. Nice concept.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Shape-changer
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Shape-changer Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 7:43am
If you are interested in shaping a boat I can walk you through the process and tell you where to get materials. I am currently working on a boat right now.
Cheers
Shape-changer
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Shape-changer Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 7:57am
I uploaded two pictures a the boat I shaped last month
Cheers
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 8:23am
Kiwi, you should speak with Shape-changer.  His boats are pretty much what you are describing and he has produced some excellent glass play/surf boats.  His boats have proven river worthy and have torn up the biggest waves the Wenatchee has to offer.  I am currently waiting for production of his new boats as I hope to buy one when they are available.  Drop him a PM and his real name is .... (his identity will remain safe with me).
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 10:27am
Wow, Shape-changer. Beautiful design. I'm still trying to decide whether to commit to this type of project. Can you tell me about how much you spend on materials for each boat and about how long it takes to shape one? I know it would take me much longer as a novice, but I'd like to know your time as a minimum for me.  Also, are your molds left in the boat, or are they reusable?

Thx,

D
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 12:49pm
whoa, that boats looks pretty much perfect, has anyone seen the new wavesport project 54cx? it's composite and weighs 19 lbs.
chuckj
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote chuckj Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:05am
Gary has a  video that he sells for $10.00. Basically the cost of the cassette.
I've built 2 surfkayaks using his method with mixed success. The problem being in the design rather than the construction.
The basic principle is to make a plug out of pink insulation foam and then drape your glass over that, usually 4-5 layers of 9oz glass and SB-112 epoxy.
Getting the foam out is a problem, depending on the construction method you use.

It's a pretty bare bones method of building but does work well. Friend of mine just finished a SOT surfkayak using Gary's method. Seems like it was easier to build and took half the time.
Shape-changer
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote Shape-changer Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 4:13pm
Hey D cost is going to be different depending on if make a one off using a process like this; check this out: http://www.ptone.com/boatbuilding2002/ or shaping the design and making a mould to make multiple boats from. So, unless you plan on selling a few before the next version or making two, three, four, five protos and still be able test the original against the new versions; the one off process is the cheapest and quickest to make a boat and get on the water.
As far as time, I don't shape professionally any more but, I think it took me 50 to 60 hours from sketches to finished shape not including glassing and mould making and building an actual boat.

Cheers

jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 10:12pm
WOW! that's great to see those photos. nice looking design. It reminds me of a boat I saw back in PA when I was a kid. --a "surf shoe" Greg Green called it.

chuckj: you mentioned that the pink foam was hard to get out. what if you wrapped it in plastic wrap before laying up your glass layers? would that provide an adequate separation between fiberglass/resin and foam? I remember watching guys lay plastic film (like Ceran Wrap) over patches, ect, and later after the resin is hard the Ceran Wrap just peels right off.

Anyway, I'm stoked on this thread!!! This is what this site should be for: actual knowledge and info sharing. In fact, It's got me excited about glass boats. I may take my old fiberglass boat out to the Sky tommorow. Maybe soon I'll undertake the project of restoring it. (got some sh*tty patches that need grinding and re-doing).

I'd like to make a boat, too at some point.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version