Professor Paddle: Jackson Crackson vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Jackson Crackson Post Reply Post New Topic
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dave Replybullet Topic: Jackson Crackson
    Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 8:33pm
Yes, my mighty Jackson 4 is cracked! I bought it on April 25, 2008 so I am hoping they will warranty it for me. I feel like crying because I really like this boat. It is such a great river runner in big water and small. I would creek in it if I wasn't afraid I would break my feet!

Anyway, I am very bummed right now Back to the Tekno for a while I guess.....

If I cant warranty it is there anyone but James (nothing against cowboys and Indians) that can plastic weld my boat?

I feel like my best friend just died...my poor boat....uggg cowboys and Indians

Edited by dave - 17 Nov 2008 at 8:38pm
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by dave

Yes, my mighty Jackson 4 is cracked!

MIGHTY CRACKSON???  Really? 
Dave,
  I wish BS made a boat you would like, unfortuntely you like htem a little slicey and you are not a small guy so the best I could offer up is a 185. You are welcome to give it a spin anytime.
  As far as Jackson is concerned, well, they break, when you make a boat as light as you can (and you can not weld cross linked plastic, so the cowboys and indians will be no help) they tend to break.
  Kayaks get the shit kicked out of them on a regular basis, if you buy a light boat, be nice to it, thin is in, but it doesn't last.
Hopefully Jackson will treat you right, god knows by now their warrantee department has had a work out.

Oh, an BTW chech this out;
Down at the bottom.
Cheers 
Sure?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:24am
I read the Playak thing, and last I head, they aren't being made 'Local' anymore and their mass production is done in China. 

DragoRossi offers a big kid Play/ River boat, check it:  http://www.dragorossi.com/product.asp?ID=8

I can loan you a demo until your Crackson issue is resolved.  Let me know
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:38am
According to that article, Gear Quality, Usability and design are the last to consider when making purchases....

That is one great salesman right there! By the end of that article any local islander would have strapped on a coconut and paddled class V in a banana peal ... helping out the locals and the community! Who needs real gear right!

Phew were all pretty lucky that Werner is here so we can use good paddles that are local... poor necky ...

Funny since he likes bliss stick next and they are made in NZ... of course thats a whole lot different than China. You can't exploit a Kiwi like a chinaman right? gees...

All I know is that I buy in a different order,
Quality/Use, (Price/Deal - 50/50 - Local/Support.)

Basically I pick what I like, then I go find it at a location. I look for price and then I try to justify buying locally if its close enough in price. IE If I found a new Everest at CKS for $500 and the best deal around here was $900. I'm buyin from CKS, but if the difference is within 150-100 I would consider buying locally instead.

Ultimately the dilema comes down to support also, and your going to have to take that boat back to CKS or Jackson Direct to get the warranty.

As far as boat welders, D1 uses a guy in Leavenworth that does a pretty good job, and you might even get to hit tumwater while your dropping your boat off!!!

oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 10:15am
From hearing about my friend who has a few broken Jackson's their warranty is pretty stellar.  You can contact them directly or go through the shop you purchased the boat at.  They'll either send you a full warranty boat or a shell and have you install the outfitting. 

I have a SuperStar and a MegaRocker and luckily I haven't had any problems with either...Although I am a little paranoid about it now.  Last time on the low water Tumwater run in my Star I would periodically get out and check for cracks cause my boat kept filling up....then finally I realized I had a previous hole in my skirt.  Anyways, good luck!

On a previous Tum trip a fella boating with us cracked an old 4Fun.  We busted out the duct tape and lighter and it held for the rest of the trip. 

I've had previous experiences with cracked Pyranhas and the following technique worked pretty well.  Basically a modification to boat repair found on Oregon Kayaking:

Cut off what you can from the extra plastic on the rim of the cockpit (thin slices).  This can make it uncomfortable to shoulder your boat later, so sand it down best you can afterwards.
Drill small holes at the end of the crack to reduce further spreading.
Heat up (not melting, but sticky to the touch) the base of the boat where the crack is.
Get the strips of plastic that you cut off from your cockpit and melt that into the crack.
Take a strip of duct tape and cover the crack.
Heat up the duct tape and mash it into the bottom of the boat. 
Repeat many times using cross layers.
Go through the same process on the inside of the boat with duct tape if possible.

My old H3 still holds from this method.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 10:28am
Why would you post about a warranty issue before contacting the manufacturer?
Jackson's customer service has been the best of any company I've dealt with  (I couldn't get a warrenty through Dragorossi when I broke  my Mafia in it's first year).
Every company's boats crack, I've seen a Wavesport, Dagger, Jackson and BlissStick  break in less than 10 uses. What sets them apart is how they deal with warrenty issues. I'm considering buying a Pyranha boat because I think they have a superior creek boat design, but if  I ever buy a playboat new it will probably be a Jackson.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 6:15pm
I just got a message back from Jackson! They contacted me immediately! I like that! So, I am assuming they will take care of me... Thanks for the offers for loaner boats, but I have 5 boats so I will be ok for a while! I just love the Jackson cus its so comfy and forgiving. It's also (as I found out on the MM at 14,500cfs) a great big water boat! I have nothing but good things to say about the Jackson 4fun, cept for the crack!
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 8:06am
Check it out!

Thanks for the pictures and fax. I'll get a new hull built and out to you ASAP.

Adam Ross
Jackson Kayak
Customer Service & Warranty Dept.
325 Iris Dr.
Sparta, TN 38583
931-738-2628
931-738-2668 Fax
aross@jacksonkayak.com

These guys are kick ass! They are taking care of me, better than any other manufacture of WW kayaks have in the past. I have had boats from 5 different manufactures by the way.
Nomad
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 9:05am
Originally posted by fiddleyak

Why would you post about a warranty issue before contacting the manufacturer?

Verbal diarrhea?
Cuervo
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Cuervo Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 9:13am
I second Jackson's warranty policy.  They sold me a new fun for $200 plus shipping after mine cracked.  I was the 3rd owner and it was stamped demo!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 9:14am
AGREED POW

Edited by James - 20 Nov 2008 at 9:15am
Kayakmedic
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Kayakmedic Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 9:59am
Hey just caught the thread on your boat. I called JK, your new boat should be shipped today or tomarrow. Sounds like it was being molded this morning. I have a 4 fun demo you can use until you boat gets in, If you want. Just give me a call.

Andy Graham aka Kayakmedic
JK Ambassador
360-731-1078
Andy
360-731-1078
rockslidin
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote rockslidin Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by dragorossinw

I read the Playak thing, and last I head, they aren't being made 'Local' anymore and their mass production is done in China. 

DragoRossi offers a big kid Play/ River boat, check it:  http://www.dragorossi.com/product.asp?ID=8

I can loan you a demo until your Crackson issue is resolved.  Let me know

Are you saying that Jackson has manufacturing in China?
Kayakmedic
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Kayakmedic Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 4:03pm

No Rockslidn you are slightly misinformed. All JK boats are still made in Tennessee, in fact last that I knew, one of the prerequisites to be hired at the KJ factory, is that you needed to be a boater. “Boaters building boats for boaters” one at a time. I agree Tennessee is a long way from the north west and may seem foreign, but it’s definitely not China.

Andy

Andy
360-731-1078
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 4:14pm
Tennessee, aren't those folks hicks?
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 5:02pm
Nicest ones I've ever met!
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 7:02pm
First of all James, you shouldn't talk about diarrhea of the mouth mister talk a lot!

Andy! What up bro! Haven't seen you since La Push a few years ago!

I'm good for a boat for now, I have an old Tekno I am using for now, but I sure do miss my 4fun! We got to get together to boat, how about this weekend, you ever get up here much anymore? (the Green, Snoqualmi, Sky drainage area that is)

D
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 7:04pm
Oh, and your not actually in China until you get to South Carolina!
Nomad
rockslidin
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote rockslidin Replybullet Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 11:05pm
I wasn't misinformed Andy I was just clarifying his position. I'm friends with a few of the guys at Jackson and have actually toured the plant myself. Jackson boats are 100% American made and they stand behind their products. I've never had anything but A+++ service from them. 
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 7:32am
this thread is cracked:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version