Professor Paddle: Toddler Kayak Group vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Toddler Kayak Group Post Reply Post New Topic
Carter_M
Paddler
Paddler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carter_M Replybullet Topic: Toddler Kayak Group
    Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 8:12pm
Ok, I dove in head first and got my 2 1/2 year old a Jackson Fun for Christmas. Obviously, I'm not going to slap a skirt on him and head him down the river any time soon but I'm trying to think long term here. I'm guessing he will be into it for a while because "daddy likes it" but it won't take long until he won't be interested without a peer group to paddle with. Any other new (ish) parents out there that would be up for introducing our kids to kayaking? Texas Dave? Just flatwater for 2009/2010 but maybe some class I in 2011?
Alternatively, family multi-day float trips?
Any advice from other parents with older kids?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:13pm
Jimmy and I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old.  We already take both of them on canoe trips down parts of the Sky (Class I / II-).  We're getting ready to start our oldest this coming summer but I'm making sure he can swim the whole length of a pool first.  He's almost there.  We're planning on doing a few more canoe trips that will involve floating and swimming in moving current.  We are going to take him to the lake, let him paddle around without a skirt, flip the boat and fall out and all that fun stuff.  We'll see where it goes from there.  Of coarse we don't want to scare him so it'll be at his comfort level.  If he really likes paddling then well get him a boat.  In the meantime we're hoping to borrow a friends Jackson.  We have been looking for others to hook up with to do this like you and it would be great if the kids could learn together.  Every now and then we already take the kids to roll practice at the pool and let them paddle around some (our 2 year old site in the boat with us right now).  Let us know when you want to get the kids together.  We're always interested.

Courtney & Jimmy
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:43pm
Carter:  Courtney:  I am down with you.  I have a 3 year old (and a 3 month old) who loves my kayaks and spendslots of time floating in the hot tub with one.  He has been out on my cataraft a couple times now and digs it.  I would be game for any family trips and travel with my whole family to events and river trips all the time.  Shoot me an email with your contact info and lets get some stuff rolling.  I live down near the East Fork Lewis, but head all over the NW.
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 6:03am
My girl is only 1 1/2 now so she won't be tearing it up on the river in her own boat yet but I'd certainly be up for some family float trips, especially this summer when the kids can swim some.  It would be cool to have a kids day out on the water.  Let's do it.

I've been considering getting a canoe and / or a raft so the rest of the family can come out on the water with me.  One of these days I hope I'll be getting Katie a kayak too. 
Dave
Carter_M
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Carter_M Replybullet Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 8:05am
Rafting trips this summer! Yes! I can rent rafts from the University for cheap. Let's do it.
Ironically, my dad (who is in his late 70's now) was a kayaker back east when I was growing up (he even made a trip out west in the 60's and paddling with Blackadar). I have a vague memory of paddling his huge fiberglass whitewater boats in lakes but whitewater boating was not even mentioned as something that the kids could try. I remember one class I/II canoe trip and one class III rafting trip throughout my entire childhood despite the fact that my dad was kayaking on many weekends. It wasn't until I was in college and starting wondering why my dad had liked kayaking so much that I got into whitewater. I'll probably scare my son away from it in an effort to be the opposite of my dad!
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 24 Dec 2008 at 8:38am
Carter,
What's your Dads name?  My Dad also kayaked in the 70's back in the southeast with a fiberglass kayak he built at Georgia Tech.  He also built a kind of kayak / canoe for the whole family to whitewater in.  I took my first trip down the Nantahala in it when I was less 7 or 8.  Of coarse us kids weren't allowed to be in the boat to run the Falls.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 3:13pm
Andy helping Courtney try out her new backband. 

Carter_M
Paddler
Paddler

Quote Carter_M Replybullet Posted: 25 Dec 2008 at 5:33pm
My dad's name is Bill Maden. He frequently talks about his first glass boat built by the only commercial boat builder around- unfortunately, the guys name was Coffin. How'd you like to paddle a Coffin! Great marketing strategy for the young and crazy crowd...Reminds me of Death cigarettes...
He learned to paddle in New England and when I was young we moved south to Tennessee. One of my first open canoe trips was on the Nolichucky and first rafting trip on the Nanny (same as you, not the falls).
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 26 Dec 2008 at 2:59pm
Very cool! 

My son's 1 1/2, so he won't be ready to hit the water until 2010 sometime, but it makes me happy to hear the rest of ya'll have young kids too.  I'm looking forward to taking him out.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
sikboater
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote sikboater Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 6:53am
I also have a 2 yr old to go along with two 11 year old boys...    The 11 year olds are getting a little interested in kayaking. We floated the Wenatchee Plain section last fall and they both paddled my vison 56 for most of the run.  I finally broke down and got a raft this last fall...

Will be up for some family fun float trips this spring and summer.  The 2 yr old will probably not be in any whitewater until next year, 2010, but the other two will go almost any time.  I live in Bellingham so a little far north but the sky and skagit are short trips away. I plan on spending a lot of time on the Wenatchee this spring...

Get in touch if you want to do some kid (and family) friendly boating...

Tim
sikboater@hotmail.com
Liz
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote Liz Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2008 at 7:44am

Yes, take your kids rafting!  When I was little my dad took me rafting on the Wenatchee several times each summer.  He told me I needed to be the high-sider.  Not really necessary on the Wenatchee in a 15’ boat; especially when I only weighed about 60 lbs.  But it taught me to stick my head into the waves and it made me feel like I played a part in our success. 

Sitting in the front also taught me to read water.  I remember pointing at the biggest white rapid I could find and say, “Hit that one, Dad!” and then I would watch the water and watch his angle and strokes and try and judge where in the rapid we would land and what kind of ride we would get. 

I jumped out, I fell out, we hit a bridge at flood stage once and flipped (oops), when I tried to paddle-captain a small boat for the first time of course we flipped…  But I loved it.  My sister didn’t like it so much and got into rock climbing instead.  And that’s ok.  She’s been on enough beautiful multi-day trips since then that she can enjoy rafting now; especially if she can find a crag to jam her hands in at a camp or along a hike.

And then when I was in high school my dad’s Grand Canyon permit got close to coming up.  We started running bigger stuff to get ready, and then he let me row a gear boat on our Grand trip when I was 20.  I was hooked!

dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 11:59am
I've taken my two-year-old out on flat water (canoe, sea kayak and WW kayak) and she loves those "baby boats." I plan on rafting the Powerhouse with her several times this summer so I'll post here when I'm getting ready.

I can't wait till I can say to other parents "No, Thursday night play group won't work, Mo has her playboat group."
Kayakmedic
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote Kayakmedic Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 1:52pm

At a year and a half we had my son on the Cat going from Pashasten down to Monitor on the Wenatchee. On his third birthday he got a Jackson Fun 1 and spent a lot of the summer working on paddling in our local pool and at the beach. By the end of summer he was able to somewhat control his boat in moving water in the creek in front of our cabin in the Little North Fork of The Santiam. This year we bought a 16’ raft for family raft trips and spent several days on the Santiam and Umpqua. He absolutely loves it. This past summer he also spent a lot of time doing flat water in his kayak. It will be still a year or more before he will be ready for a skirt.  I have done trips with 5 year olds on the Lower Salmon and Rouge rivers with no problems. Another one we are planning is Desolation / Grey Gray Canyons on the Green. There are lots of trip options for kids.

Andy
360-731-1078
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 10:30pm
Rafting on the Powerhouse this Friday (3/6/09), and, perhaps, on the Middle-Middle this Saturday.

I'm going to take my 2.5 yr. old paddling on the Powerhouse run of the Snoqualmie this Friday, assuming I can find some more people to go with me. I'll need a final count by Wednesday night before I pick up rafts. Two canoes are also available if you are interested in that. I can go either way, and the rafts I have access to have a rental fee of $30/boat, plus $2/helmet or PFD. I can take pretty big group, and believe in strength in numbers, so please feel free to extend the invitation to others with kids.

I'll be free most of the day, so start time is flexible.

If there is interest in dinner afterward, we can all come back to my place in Snoqualmie Ridge for something yummy.

Regarding the Middle-Middle, I'm looking for feedback from those of  who have paddled it recently. It has been years since I've paddled it, and I don't remember anything that would give me pause about taking my daughter down. Sadly, my memory is not the best.

Any thoughts on the Middle-Middle with kids are welcome.

Also, I'm looking for material I can patch together into a drysuit for a toddler. Mainly, I need a zipper. If anyone has any worn out drysuits kicking around, I'd like to know.

D
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 8:54am
For me personally I would not take my 3 year old on the Middle Middle.  It's class III with one IV.  I'm waiting until both my children can swim well on their own, just in case.  

We won't be able to make Friday.  Weekdays are hard for us.  If you do this on a weekend sometime please keep us informed.  Have fun! 
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:13am
Jackson makes a tandem kayak now that looks like it would be a good way to introduce the kiddies to kayaking. Eskimo also makes a duo, or if you can find an old topo duo that would be a good way to get started.
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by dblanchard

Rafting on the Powerhouse this Friday (3/6/09), and, perhaps, on the Middle-Middle this Saturday....

This sounds awesome.  But I'm tied up with school until 3/31. 

After that, MiniMe and I would love to join you.  Post again and I'll help put it together. 

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version