Professor Paddle: Sunset falls Evening Magazine vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Sunset falls Evening Magazine Post Reply Post New Topic
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Topic: Sunset falls Evening Magazine
    Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 6:48pm
Just got off the phone with Evening Magazine and they are going to air the story on Al Faussett and Rob Mckibbin in there extreme water sports segment on Monday night. She informed me Monday is their most viewed night too, stoked! I'm trying to make it so they air the full segment I edited for The Risen Sun but we will see. They will credit myself and Rob as well as plug Huckin Huge so we're stoked.
Lets make a name Rob Mckibbin character dammit! I asked them if they could cut Rob a 10K check for the story but I don't think she thought that was very funny.. Hope you all check it out, Monday night, not sure the time but I'll keep everyone posted.

Jake
Masturbating Monkey
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 7:16pm
Rob is the man!

Here is a little 'Rob the man Story' I think it illistraits why he is da bomb.

Several months ago Rob asked if he could try out a BS Smoothy, at that time mr Harmes had my demo and I got it all arranged (not tough)
  Rob used it for a spell but wasn't a huge fan.
  When sh*t change for me with BS I told Rob he could have the boat. I considered it payback for hte times he hauled my sh*t to shore and all the times I have truely enjoyed paddling with him.
  He called me and said that he in no way could accept it, it is too much. I explained to him that there are absolutely no strings attached. Just a boat I have no use for and honestly, I can not think of any one more desereving.
  We argued, I didm't win, but I hold the upper hand. possession is 9/10 of the law and he has the boat.
  I vote that Rob gets the 10k from the TV rag 
Sure?
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 7:44pm
haha yep that is Rob for ya! He is definitely the man and I like this story thing so I'm going to add to it:

When I first started boating with Rob years ago, didnt know him super well like I do now and we were running Tumwater at around 3-3500K. We got down to POW, Fuqua and I decided against running it, Rob on the other hand, was all about it. He went charging through there and styled the entrance but got stuck in the main meat hole on the big drop. He got his ASS handed to him for about 45 seconds before his paddle snapped in half. then with half a paddle got POUNDED for another 45+ seconds and some how worked his way out of there and styled the rest of the rapid with half a paddle.

So, then we get to Exit Drop and again Fuqua and I opted against it, Rob on the other hand, asked if he could borrow my paddle cause he really wanted to run it. I was like, "who in the fuck is this guy, he wants to run Exit after the beating he just took, one of the worst I've ever seen that didnt result in a swim". So, nice guy that I am I let him borrow my paddle and next thing I know there goes Rob, I don't know how to say this nicely but he got his ASS handed to him in Exit too, didn't get stuck anywhere but pretty much ran the whole thing upside down, breaking his shoulder along the way. His shoulder turned black and blue instantly and looked like his collar bone was in the wrong spot. Bummer, I figured he was out for couple months at least.

SO, the NEXT WEEKEND, were meeting at the put in for Tumwater and here comes ROB! He was like "yeah, I'm just gonna take my creek boat and try not to paddle on the left side". Damn I was thinkin, what an idiot!
But he got in his boat and was paddlin down the river looking like a goof ball cause when he paddled on his left side only his forearm moved. It was hilarious and he styled everything, never rolled, never got his face wet, it was unreal, paddled Tumwater at 2800 with a broken shoulder.

From then on I have had nothing but love and respect for the dude and I realize that he loves and needs kayaking more than anyone I know. He needs kayaking like we need air and I think it's safe to say that there arent many 45 year old boaters that compare to Rob.

Damn, I have like 20 more stories I could tell.....
Masturbating Monkey
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 10:44pm
well I got my share of "Rob" stories as well-- One  that makes me laugh the most, though, I'm afraid to tell because if Evening Mag is working with him... well, maybe I'll save my story for later after the special had aired!

But the important things are this:
-AWESOME paddler!
-GREAT human being!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 10:01am
My editors asked me a few months back,  if i knew anyone who was "older"  that still runs the shit.  I laughed, because i knew the perfect person that fit  that description.  I told them about Rob,  they had heard of him, but knew little more.    So,  our whitewater issue comes out this next month with a section called "Old Man Ripper"  Old dudes who still rip it up.  Though Rob is going to kill me for calling him old, the article is hilarious, and i couldnt think of someone more deserving.  I'll have the issue here in about 3 weeks,  stoked to show everyone!   
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 2:37pm
well there are plenty of "Old Man Rippers"--maybe not like Rob, but then again, to be honest he's not really that old. As the "extreme" bar has been set higher and higher, granted, this facet of the sport has become a younger man's sport.

Still there are many guys and girls in their 50's who still boat class V. This isn't a new thing, either.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:56pm
Yeah,  Rob was the youngest of all the "old man rippers"   we profiled.  But if you look at what the other old guys are running, you might agree that most of the old timers that boat class V, are mainly doing boulder garden V.   Rob is out there running Spirit falls, Sunset, Alpine, blah blah blah, and doing so at a frequency that even most young bucs cant match. That was the main reason for including him.  My dad ran class V up to his late 40 too,  but he didnt rip...   thats the difference.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 6:55pm
Fair enough for sure. And as if "50/50" wasn't a burly drop (not too mention "Spirit", and countless less notable waterfalls, ect.) "Sunset"  is a worthy feat no matter how you slice it. Swim, or no swim, young or old, whatever. --just plain "sick". "sick" and admirable.

Hell, just the fact that Rob has run Robe in a playboat is nothing short of "core".
Cool Donkeysh*t, if you ask me!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 12:32pm

just coming back from a seven day marathon roadtrip, tired, beat, and stumbling around scratching my bald head (shaved the hair for the Bald Brothers Tour); and then there's ROB who is racing around to get on Ernies just as soon as we get home.  Where does this guy get all his energy... he's been living on granola bars and juice for the last week, paddled seven days straight, and when asked "are you sore at all?" (this question was posed day six following the two hour surf session that he rallied for while D1 and I caught a few precious hours to recoup), and his reply simple: "nope, not sore or tired or nothing, but if I do anything besides paddle... then I be sore"  It is tough to keep up with this guy.  I would challenge anyone out there to try and hold up to his standard.  Very, very few in the country could, or would even want too.  Marco maybe....  Like you said Jake, he needs kayaking like we breathe. 

Looking forward to seeing the 'goodness' on primetime tv.
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 1:05pm
Tonight!!! 7pm Evening Magazine!!
Masturbating Monkey
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 7:49pm
Well that was cool.....but we needed more Rob!
tradguy2
Master Poster
Master Poster
Fabric Fanatic

Quote tradguy2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 9:53pm
Agreed. 
... preparing for a river beating!     
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 9:37am
Yeah, I agree also.  I also thought it was pretty ridiculous that they refered to Al Fausset as "paddling" while they are showing him enclose himself and be pushed off by others.  
H2Ohta
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 10:49am
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:15pm
Yeah they botched the shit out of that at the end, they mispronounced Robs name and Huckin Huge. I wend over it with them 4 time too! I even had to explain what the word "Huck" meant, jeeezuzz.. They used the Robs shit to sell the whole story then through in 10 seconds at the end. I wrote a big complaint, told them that was pretty unprofessional. I guess Al Faussetts grandson called them and complained as well, told them they should have done more on Rob too. Maybe they will feel bad and do a big story on Rob.. right..
It was just an easy out for them, re-air a story they already did then throw 10 seconds of new footage in, save a dime and lots a time.. Oh well... better than nothing I guess..
Masturbating Monkey
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:42am
I wrote them right after the show.  I was pretty disapointed that they didn't interview Rob or show more of him. 
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version