Professor Paddle: sea kayaking in whitewater boats? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: sea kayaking in whitewater boats? Post Reply Post New Topic
meryl
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote meryl Replybullet Topic: sea kayaking in whitewater boats?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 3:56pm
I was thinking of going sea kayaking around San Juan Island. Is there enough advantage to a sea kayak that I should rent one? If so, where?

Thanks!

Meryl
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 4:40pm
It's not the worst thing paddling in the ocean in a WW boat, but if you plan on paddling for any sort of distance, than having a sea kayak makes life much better.  They track better, they're much faster, you'll also stay drier than in your WW boat.  If you do plan on taking a ww boat out, take the longest boat you have, play boats and river runners don't work so well, creek boats and longboats are your best bet.  happy paddling.
-Jed
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:34pm
Let me put it this way. Rent a sea kayak!

I have circled the Island and also lived there off and on for 30 plus years, went to high school in Friday Harbor.

So, anyway I am very experienced in those waters and the faster the sea kayak you have the better. Fast currents on the west and south east side of the island can cause you many paddle strokes of grief if you don't plan your tides right.

Plus you can pack a bunch of goodies in the sea kayak and it will be like car camping (almost).

Have fun and watch for the whales on the west side around the lighthouse in the mornings if you are over there during the next month or so...
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:37pm
I am sorry, you can rent sea kayaks at the Kayak Acadamy in Renton and SRK in Seattle.
Seattl raft and kayak Kayak Acadamy

Edited by dave - 06 Apr 2009 at 8:39pm
Nomad
oopsiflipped
Paddler
Paddler

Quote oopsiflipped Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 11:21am
Dang, i thought this was going to be a thread on paddling sea kayaks on whitewater. Nothing like seeing Jeff Snyder coming through Pillow Rock in a 17' touring boat!
Half the stick, twice the dick!
ThrowYaMittsUp
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote ThrowYaMittsUp Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 12:29pm
Yeah, that's some pretty crazy stuff!  I saw him on the Upper Yough In the same boat. He even ran a few rapids strider style, standing up in the cockpit with the stern pointed downstream.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 12:46pm
I once saw a guy run the Upper Wind in a sea kayak.  I was concerned at the put-in and contemplated asking him if he knew what he was doing.  I eddied out in Initiation and watched the guy skillfully paddle through the rapid and was glad I didn't say anything at the put in!!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by dave

Let me put it this way. Rent a sea kayak! 

... the faster the sea kayak you have the better. Fast currents on the west and south east side of the island can cause you many paddle strokes of grief if you don't plan your tides right.

Plus you can pack a bunch of goodies in the sea kayak and it will be like car camping (almost).

Words of wisdon from a wise cracker. Think of the experience you want. Paddling somewhere like the San Juans is all about covering DISTANCE. With an efficient boat you can cover much more ground, see more cool stuff, have all you creature comforts packed (and stow lots of stuff on your deck that you'll want throughout a day of paddling: Binocculors, sunblock, charts, water, food,ect. It's really worth renting a boat.

Sea Kayaks are also much better with windage. If you go multi-day, even better: The more you load down a sea kayak, the more sea worthy it is, and the less you are effected by wind. Depending on your size, & how strong of a paddler you are, I'd look at boats in the 16- 18' range. 15' and smaller are starting to get too short.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 5:17pm
If you send me a PM I'd  be happy to give you lots of more beta about the San Jauns-- I've cicumnav'd them as a group of Islands, and otherwise thouroughly paddled around up there for days at a time.

Dave also knows the region, as he said.

And anything you might want to know about gear, packing, ect. I'd be happy to share.
A VHF radio is a good idea so you know what wind and wave conditions to expect. It'll greatly enhance your trip.

Sea Kayking is all about being informed. Have the tide/current tables too. You can pick up a copy cheap. A chart of the islands, ect.
jP
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
Another word of wisdom, I have seen some funky current wave action paddling in storms up there that could kill any class V boater, easily. Don't underestimat the water up there.
Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:44am
Yup. also well advised. Being well informed about the daily weather patterns and marine conditions is very important. If nothing else, talk to the locals when you're up there.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version