Professor Paddle: Robe Race 2009 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Robe Race 2009 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 8:44am

Edited by leifkirchoff - 19 May 2009 at 10:27am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:06am
Originally posted by leifkirchoff

I shouldn't have voiced an opinion. 

something we can all agree on.

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:34am

Edited by leifkirchoff - 19 May 2009 at 10:28am
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:56am
Todd, I am sorry the event didnt happen. I was really looking forward to it. I probably monitored the level more than anyone should, begging whatever higher power for it to be 6.2 or lower. I think the 666 plan is a great idea for the race in the future, and I am still looking forward to the event.

To Leif,
Your last post was totally unnecessary. I have never met you, but your attitude on this forum is unfortunate and extremely negative. Dont get all pissed off because you think the event is "elite" because Todd has clearly illustrated that was not the point. Of course a class V race will only attract class V paddlers, but there is a great class IV run right there which, as Todd highlighted, has a takeout which was to be the site of the party (free beer for all? what the hell? why are people arguing with that?). What could be better than a few laps on canyon creek and an awesome party with free beer? If you dont care then dont write anything. Clearly you care enough to voice your opinion, claim you dont care about voicing your opinion, and then voicing it again. I dont want to create any animosity with someone I have not met, but you certainly dont make it easy.

Hopefully all this can be put aside and the future date for the Robe race will go off without a hitch. Planning an event like this is beyond difficult, and is a stress Todd chose to take on. I am thankful someone is willing to put the effort into something like this, and I will be there when Robe Race 2009 happens.

Jonathan
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:03am

Edited by leifkirchoff - 19 May 2009 at 10:28am
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:15am
This forum has to have one of the highest piss and bicker rates of any forum in any sport. (Not saying I've never been involved in it...)

Starting w/ this one (which we all know isn't the first) I'm going to start counting the times people turn good topics and threads into this bullshit.

PP pissy thread count = 1.

Robe sucks, Seattle sucks, bicker battles blow.

Edited by PaulGamache - 19 May 2009 at 10:18am
27/320 & 1 bootie
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:15am
leif kirchoff,

what is it with you man?

i give you a well reasoned & balanced reply to your "advice", & the response you give me is a snide "After all, this sport is all about the core boaters"

i think everyone who's reading this DOES agree that you could've kept that bullshit to yourself, per your own admission.

and, clearly, that's the long & short of your opinion on my event. duly noted. now fuck off.

Edited by toddg - 19 May 2009 at 10:15am
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 10:27am

I have never paddled Robe and I live in Wenatchee but if you give me at least 24 hours notice I can be there with at least a couple more folks from the Wenatchee Valley to help out.  

Edited by H2Ohta - 19 May 2009 at 10:27am
H2Ohta
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:02am
h2ohta,

if you have fun on the ricochet section of icicle, then you'll love robe. & i love taking first-timers down it. once it drops into a more reasonable flow zone, i'll try to remember to log in & hit you up.

H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 11:05am

Give me a holla as I would love to come over and check it out. chrisohta@hotmail.com or PM

Thx,
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:22pm
Todd, I'm still down for the Robe Race. Maybe this was a bad month to plan it for? But I am still down.
Part of me thinks it's ironic though that last year's Robe Champs were out on it all weekend.

I know people seem to think that the race should be open to "Mere Mortal Robe Runners" such as myself, but Nature does what it does, and part of me thinks that maybe Rob and Ben just deserve the honor of retaining the Robes for 2009. Why? because a date was set, they showed up.

Now, I believe Aj and Brian also did. I don't know who else was there paddling last weekend.

Why do people have to be all insecure and cry "FOWL!! ELITISM!! ELITISM!!" at the slightest provocation? Why is it bad to be elite? I mean, look at me. I've been paddling longer than many of today's elite paddlers have been alive. They have taken the sport to more than a few levels that I likely may never attain. I'm not envious, or insecure about that. I embrace it and am inspired by it!! This inspiration fuels my own personal path of growth.

Paul is right. Seattle can be pretty lame. But Robe doesn't suck just because Paul doesn't like it, is afraid of it, (sorry Paul-you opened yourself up to that one) or whatever his trip is about it. Seattle on the other hand, and by extension it's paddling "community", has this weird passive aggressive TYRANNICAL REVERSE ELITISM.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:00pm
Yer sure doing a good job of making friends all around the PNW Leif. 

Paul - I think the majority of posts around here aren't bickering in nature, if you look at most of the current threads.  The argument type stuff is fewer but more noticeable (obvious to you since you read and post in about all of them :) ) 

Not sure why despise this town so much and love to mention it in your posts on this site. I think it's about as good as cities get with all that you can do in and around the town.  I have a lot of great non-paddler friends so maybe since my stake in the boating scene isn't as great as yours, it's nothing that ever bothers me. 

Todd, sorry to take part in c**ting your thread up.  syotr
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

Paul - I think the majority of posts around here aren't bickering in nature, if you look at most of the current threads.  The argument type stuff is fewer but more noticeable (obvious to you since you read and post in about all of them :) ) 

Not sure why despise this town so much and love to mention it in your posts on this site. I think it's about as good as cities get with all that you can do in and around the town.  I have a lot of great non-paddler friends so maybe since my stake in the boating scene isn't as great as yours, it's nothing that ever bothers me. 

.Dude it was a joke.  Thank you for a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

JP: Yes..I am scared of Robe, not my cup of tea.  No it doesn't suck but that's my excuse for never wanting to paddle it...just feel like the river is trying to hurt me down there.

EDIT: I was going to post again but that would be obnoxious.  I'm over being brought into the pissing matches (why do I have a feeling by even just posting that someone will find the need to post about posting that...) 

If you'd like to get a hold of me in the future email is paulgamache at gmail.com.

Thanks for the community resource, best of luck w/ the pissing matches....ever wonder why sites like boof.com almost never have the BS that's frequent here and on MTNBuzz?

Edited by PaulGamache - 19 May 2009 at 2:57pm
27/320 & 1 bootie
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by PaulGamache

Dude it was a joke.  Thank you for a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

oh.    hahahahaha        
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:59pm
Well, Paul, for the record it scares me too. And I've accumulated enough trips in there to get into a few situations where things got out of my hands and I felt like the river was trying to hurt me. So you're not unreasonable with that perception.

It's important to mind one's P's and Q's in there. It has a trashy nature that surrounds you but doesn't necessarily pounce on you until the law of averages creeps up on you.

It's good to be relatively confident you're not likely to flip in there. Having said that I think the rapids and drops are pretty cool and have offered up some pretty damn fun rides.

Here's another reason why the Robe Race is a challenge that I won't take likely: It's a LONG RACE. The top finishing times were between 33 and 35 minutes last year, right? There's an endurance factor for sure. It's a far cry from the Icicle Race with its 6:00 course and similar races of shorter durations.

As Seattle is concerned, hey, it is what we make of it. It's 4 hours from B.C. 4 hours from Hood River, and 2.5 from Leavenworth. Anywhere in between offers up LOTS of stuff to paddle year round. There's also world class sea kayaking very close by, and as shitty as the economy is anywhere right now, I'm glad to be here. It's hard to think of a better place for me to be as far as paddling is concerned.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:01pm
BTW what's with all these blank LeifKirchoff posts that say "Edited...today at..."?

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:45pm
Just for the record... I've done robe 3 TIMES!!! hahaha how you like me now!   Ummm.. I know this is a little off the subject but does anyone have some money I could borrow?
Masturbating Monkey
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:49pm
I got 2 cents for you Jake...

Let me know when you want it

kayakingsucks
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote kayakingsucks Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by James

As for the majority of boaters that do robe and harder runs but stay clear of PP. It's easy to see why with all these crappy responses in varied threads. When you already have your network, beta, and skill there is little need to post, maybe just an occasional read to ponder the foolishness that follows youth.

James, I think you nailed me with this description.  As I've mentioned to you in the past I think you've provided a great service to the local paddling community with PP.  I do feel that, for me, the signal to noise ratio is pretty low, and as a result I typically stay away and just go boating. 

I'm also a little bummed that many frequent posters hide behind a cute alias.  Please at least include your real name in your signature or profile.  I'd personally be more likely to participate in the discourse if I knew who I was addressing.

Originally posted by wetmouse

It's good to be relatively confident you're not likely to flip in there. Having said that I think the rapids and drops are pretty cool and have offered up some pretty damn fun rides.
Flipping is more of a concern when the water is lower and more rocks abound.  Of course the higher levels are faster and more powerful so it's still best to stay on line and upright, but at least you won't be as likely to kiss a rock.
Originally posted by toddg

news flash: robe is harder in the mid 5's than it is the upper 5's
I do have to agree with Todd here that it cleans up in the upper 5 range.  5.6 seems to be the most chaotic, where everything is turbulent and pushy.  In the 5.8-6 range, it actually smooths out and opens up a bit.  The pillows are bigger, the tougues are wider, more rocks are covered, it's typically less turbulent (at least in the main flow) etc.  That said, higher is still obviously more consequential.  A swim, for instance, could be pretty bad. 

I like the 666 rule Todd proposed.  It is completely reasonable to have a high-level cutoff.  Nobody will think less of you for opting out of paddling Robe at a particular level or even at all.  It is clearly a serious run.  If you'd like to race (or safety boat) at lower water, let Todd know your cutoff and we can take that into account.

This event was a huge success last year, and I would love to see something like that again.  We could set the cutoff even lower if it would encourage more people to participate.  As Todd mentioned, the goal is a unique PNW community event. 

Todd has worked hard to put this together, and was understandably frustrated by the recent lack of communication & committment.  I'm psyched about all the positive support on this forum since Sunday.  The comments about level comfort zones and this being a bad weekend due to competing paddling options are great feedback.  Keep it coming.  Let's make this thing happen! 

Finally,
Originally posted by PaulGamache

This forum has to have one of the highest piss and bicker rates...
Haven't you heard of Godwin's Law?  :-)

-Andrew Oberhardt
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by kayakingsucks

I do feel that, for me, the signal to noise ratio is pretty low, and as a result I typically stay away and just go boating.

-Andrew Oberhardt

That's a good way to put it.

Robe is an incredible run. And yeah, it smoothes out with more water, but that doesn't make me any more comfortable flipping in it!!

I 'd cite 5.4' as the level where I notice more fluffy fluidity. Not sure that I've noticed the chaos of 5.6'  specificly, but many runs I've routinely padlded have these "bad hair" zones" in their medium ranges that are along the lines of what you are describing with the 5.6' flows. When I'm on it at 5.8' I start feeling like I'm really getting strongarmed by the river here and there. After a trip on it at 6.2', well, let's just say that the inside drawers of the 'ol drysuit need a cleaning. Gets kinda brown in there.
ALCOHOLIC
Paddler
Paddler

Beware of the Boob

Quote ALCOHOLIC Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2009 at 12:25am
aww man James I knew if anyone would come through it would be you brother.. or wait, are we talking two cents or two sense? cause I need the CENTS.. My counselor has been trying to give me his two sense for a while now and I don't think it's really working.. or... yea whatever... Anyway, can we make it two dollars? I could probably make it over this weekend if so... "I want my two dollars!"   haha remember that? You know I was locked up with the actual dude that played the kid in that part! He wasn't a kid anymore though, big ass scary lookin white dude with braids in his hair, pretty cool though.. He was the prison barber.. Wait.. Quit trying to change the subject buddy I see what your up too.. So you think I could get that before this weekend? I will call you.. Oh and does anyone want to start going to AA meetings with me next week? Say like tuesday or something?   
Masturbating Monkey
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:02pm
JP, you runnin' 'the brown' now? The brine? I hear it's a full class harder than 'the shizzle'.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version