Professor Paddle: big 'ol crack in my all star vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: big 'ol crack in my all star Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
matta
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote matta Replybullet Topic: big 'ol crack in my all star
    Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:15pm
Just found a "L" shaped crack in my jackson all star. I'll see if Jackson will warranty it, but it was a demo, so I doubt it. I hear the cross link plastic they use doesn't weld. Has anybody had any luck repairing their jackson kayaks? I can try it my self or pay you - I've got enough home projects percolating without needing to learn a new skill . . .

matt
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:27pm
Post this on BoaterTalk.  They're always going on-and-on about welding kayaks.

That sucks man; good luck.

Dan
Life is short, paddle hard!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:31pm
doesnt weld? if the plastic melts, i would think it would weld just fine.
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 10:40pm
I always hear that the plastic burns and doesn't melt. Might try contacting Jackson and asking them if they have any input on what the best plan would be.

I've heard of people using silicone on cracks. Score the area around and in the crack and do what works. But this is all second hand information.

good luck.
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 11:46pm
I have welded a many of a boat in my paddling career, but have never welded a Jackson.  I have welded X-Link plastic, but unkinown their composition, its always worth a shot.  Oh yah, heres a handy tool I have been playing with on some old hulls, refining my skills -

Note:  Try welding on an old plastic garbage can lid or similar to learn a bit of technique before your beloved watercraft.  Use thin 1/8 x 1/8 inch strips of plastic from the same item you are welding, if this is a boat, the combing is a good palce to pirate the needed product.  Weld both the outside and inside of the hull. 

One last tip, when welding is all said and done, let it cure for a couple hours, then hit the weld with a heat gun just until it gets a sheen.  Then swipe it with a peice of wax paper (wax side against boat) and it will blend it like it was never there.  But you can forego this step if you do not care about making it look pretty.
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Ellingferd

doesnt weld? if the plastic melts, i would think it would weld just fine.

All plastics have different properties.  the best to weld are those the 'sit' when applied to heat.  While others tend to tighten or pull in rapidly.  Linier sits because it is made up of strands overlapping one another, so I am told.  while X Link will want to go to its original form and fold into itself.  I think that is the best way to put it.  I used to pay more attention to this crap before I was changing diapers (and no, not my own). 

While still, others will expand when applied to heat, its all pretty fastinating in a dorky kind of way. 
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 3:33am
Your best bet, as you know, is to get it warranteed. I don't think they'll hesitate, but if they do, use this article as a reference point in your favor (unless you have a 2008 boat).

http://www.jacksonkayak.com/articles/article.cfm?directory=articles07&article=200712031

For general plastic welding search these fora for "Playing with your crack" and scroll down to the repost of the video. Some helpful tips follow that post.

For crosslinked polyethylene (PEX), start with this article from BYU to understand what you're dealing with (if you have a newer Jackson that is indeed crosslinked plastic).

The first two paragraphs don't pertain, so much, but the rest is good. Go Cougs!

http://www.jacksonkayak.com/jknews05/crosslinkedplastic.pdf

From that, my best guess on effect repairs would be to get some PEX powder (maybe from Jackson) and create new crosslinking yourself, making sure to heat from both inside the boat and outside.This article indicates that welding is only effective on linear PE, which can then be crosslinked following the welding process.

http://www.pexassociation.net/uploads/files/What%20is%20crosslinked%20polyethylene.pdf

Here is a patent on butt-welding PE-X that lists times and temperatures in case you buy the tool recommended indragorossinw's post above.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6524425.html

Whether you get the tool or not, I'd find out from Jackson how long to heat the plastic/powder for the best curing. Whenever working with hot plastic, work in a very well ventilated area and I recommend a respirator or something similar over your mouth and nose. The wet bandana isn't going to cut it.Let us know what your outcome is.

D

Edited by dblanchard - 15 Jun 2009 at 1:21pm
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 6:35am
i just welded a crack in my jefe and it was super easy. knowing cross link isnt very weldable (sp?) i doubt i would be interested in buying a jackson.
Jimmy
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote Jimmy Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 7:24am
I've heard of people drilling the crack on both ends and then putting vynal mastic tape on the inside and the outside of the boat at the crack and having it last a long time.  I have only read about it though, I don't know anyone that has personally done this, but that kind of tape is very tough and very sticky.
Ellingferd
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Ellingferd Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 8:44am
drill both ends of the crack. get some vinyl mastic tape and silicone. put silicone on the vinyl mastic in a straight bead. slightly heat the silicone with your heat gun and put this on the inside of the boat with the bead of silicone lining up on the crack. press the silicone into the crack. wipe away excess, then fill the crack on the outside with plastic cut from the cockpit rim. sand when cooled. should work great.

Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Ellingferd

i just welded a crack in my jefe and it was super easy. knowing cross link isnt very weldable (sp?) i doubt i would be interested in buying a jackson.

crosslinked is great because you can repair oilcanning and other dents with a hairdryer.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 10:09am
One way to go is the duct tape patch. It sounds sketchy but it holds up alright for a while. I guess the other kind of tape would work the same way?

First, drill both ends of the crack. After you do this, apply a strip of duct tape. Smooth your tape with a spoon or something else smooth. Heat with a hair dryer, smooth again.

Repeat this with a whole lot of duct tape, making sure that the edges of each piece overlap, giving you a watertight patch. Do this both on the inside of the boat, outside as well if you want to.
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 10:11am
Oh, I forgot, before you put the tape on, sand the area around the crack and clean it with rubbing alcohol so that your tape sticks on well.
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 10:31am
I have heard from Chan the old owner of wave sport that you should not weld Cross Link plastic because it causes cancer.   But I still have seen some welds on an old Y boat hold pretty well.
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 12:50pm

Jackson is pretty solid with their warranties.  If it's a demo you never really know what will happen but maybe they'll work out a price for you with a new hull.  Never hurts to ask for a warranty and never hurts to ask for a fair price on a new hull if it's not warrantied.  All they can say is no.

Otherwise, drilling the ends of the crack and then the duct tape weld worked great for me on my old pyranha.  Still holding, although I'm not paddling it anymore. 

I've heard great things about the mastic tape. 

Good luck either way!
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 12:51pm

Forgot to mention....going to be welding my SuperStar that I cracked in January pretty soon as I don't think Jackson is going to ask for it back.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Still looking for extra outfitting for a SuperStar if anyone has some laying around.

Thanks,
Lanson
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:08pm
I know a few boaters with "big 'ol cracks", and not all of of them are on their boats
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:39pm
I guess I'm amazed at how often I see people repair only the outside of the boat. If I were to only repair one side, it would be the inside.

Drilling the ends of the crack keep the crack from growing. It only needs to be a small hole.

The outside repair should be intended as a wear patch, and an initial defense against leaks. Inside the haul is where you want to focus on a watertight repair.

But really, you should just get an Eskimo or a Prijon.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
rshingle
Paddler
Paddler

Quote rshingle Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 2:54pm
Last Summer I cracked a Jackson demo I bought and although Jackson wouldn't replace it for free, they sold me a new hull for $200 and shipped it to WA from TN for $60. 
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 3:02pm
JP is right.  Look at these folks paddling 10 year old boats.  You can tell they are heavily worn, but they haven't broken.  Seriously, how many old Prijons and Eskimos have you seen.  Now, how many really old Liquid Logics or Wavesports do you see.  Construction makes a big difference.  If I fit comfortably in them, I'd by an Eskimo.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 3:36pm
Leif - You could buy a TopoDuo and then just put one of those hatch skirt/covers on the front...

Then when you were out on a multiday you would have ample room for the snack pack, and on that elusive class II you could pop your hoofs out the front for a little sun n' fresh air.

Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 5:17pm
I wasn't able to weld my jackson punk rocker.  The plastic just burned.  So I've been paddling mine with a duct tape patcth.
Dave
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 8:10pm
Cross Linked plastis does NOT weld.
  If you heat it to it;s molding point it catches on fire and contaminates the area with carbon and other chemicals.
  The best bet in fixing, not welding a cross linked kayak is mesh and epoxy.
  DO NOT attempt to meld a plastic with cross linked plastic. It will seperate.
  The best solution is to use a flexible mesh overlayed with semi flecib epoxy / fiberglassing resin.
  Drill the holes at the terminus of the cracks, and if necessary inject the resin into the crack with a large bore needle.
  The trick is to lay the mesh on the inside and the outside of the hull.
the inside patch is far more important.
  Spread the resin thin, if necessary, apply a secondary coat over the top.
  Make sure it is flexible epoxy!

Sure?
matta
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote matta Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 9:18pm
Thanks everybody for the reply - aquasports was closed today, so I'll call them tomorrow. hopefully, Jackson will warranty it or let me replace it for not to much $. Otherwise I'll probably be checking in for advice soon. . . .
14kayaking2
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote 14kayaking2 Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 7:13pm
the ANSWER!!!

DUCT tape.....

if you can't duck it, $%ck it!
"We are only boaters between swims" Matty
Page  of 2 Next >>