Professor Paddle: big 'ol crack in my all star vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: big 'ol crack in my all star Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Online Status: Offline
  Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 8:51am
One other thing no has has mentioned is that super linear plastic is not as strong as x-link plastic. I understand up to 6 times stronger. Newer boats use less plastic, lightening the weight, and reducing the overall strength. That's why you see 30 yo RPM's still floating. And everyone used to use x-link. Now I think Jackson is the only one. Although, the 'classic' Jackson's use super linear.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 12:26pm
Okay, I've asked plenty of people what "crosslink" really means.

ALL boats are crosslinked or they would fall apart, the very definition of plastic is being crosslinked.

When polymer chains are linked together by crosslinks, they lose some of their ability to move as individual polymer chains. For example, a liquid polymer (where the chains are freely flowing) can be turned into a "solid" or "gel" by crosslinking the chains together.
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_link)

What is the actual difference between the "old" and "new" plastics?

I've never been able to find anything online... Should also mention I would really like to know the actual blend because it would help me weld them better...  Is it proprietary and no boat manufacturer wants to give away the blend?

Edited by etive - 08 Jun 2009 at 12:35pm
H2O please
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 12:42pm
my buddy has a jackson super fun with a big ol crack in the bottom.  we now call his boat  a soft shell kayak because of how weak the plastic is.  he uses gorilla tape and a hair dryer.  its been holding on the wenatchee, but i dunno about runs with lots of rocks. 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by water wacko

Newer boats use less plastic, lightening the weight, and reducing the overall strength. That's why you see 30 yo RPM's still floating. And everyone used to use x-link.

-just to clarify the figurative nature of Bret's post ( he didn't literally mean that the RPM is a 30 yr old design, it's not.) The RPM was introduced in the mid-late 90's. Someone else around here, Maybe Bill Petty, could confirm the actual year it hit the market.

Staying on topic, it would be nice if a kayak manufacturer could make a repairable plastic. Such a repairable boat with a kit and instructions on how to really make solid, lasting, watertight repairs (Fiberglass/Kevlar/S-Glass, ect. may be more prone to breaking, but they are infinitely repairable in a seamless, homogenous way) would be worth $2,000 IMO.

Thourough cleaning before any repair job will always be critical to its sucess.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 4:19pm
Kayak makers keep their plastic compound under lock and key, not that a chemist couldn't figure it out, mostly to escape scrutiny.
Kayakers will research the different types and bitch that a maker doesn't use one type over another, also if they change suppliers they don't have to deal with the testing process and blame if warranties come up.
It is not cross linked that makes Jackson's 'unweldable' it the nature of the polymer they use that it is essentially tempered in the molding process.
By welding it you de temper the plastic and even if you are using the same type of plastic it will not bond.
Wow, I just bored myself!
Sure?
RPMMAX
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote RPMMAX Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 6:13pm
     After I read some of the comments I looked in my records, and in 1995 and 1996 I purchased two boats.
At that time we were giver a choice of linnear or crossed linked for each of the boats. The suppliers always maintained that the crosslinked was stronger but harder to weld. I ordered both of those boats in linear because I had intended to do self support trips and may be able to weld them by inserting them to a fire. I still have these boats. Neither are cracked.

Bill Petty
RPMMAX
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 1:14pm
How many of you read the Wikipedia page without adding kayaks to the "Uses" section?

Seriously, I'm glad we get all your energies here on PP instead.

@etive:
The best explanation I've found was in the PDf on the previous page: http://www.pexassociation.net/uploads/files/What%20is%20crosslinked%20polyethylene.pdf
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 1:22pm
I think this is the article I was looking for:
http://www.jacksonkayak.com/jknews05/crosslinkedplastic.pdf

D
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 8:18am
RPM's hit the market around 97' I think.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 8:27am
EddyFlower says 1996. I just remember having one before I was in highschool...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version