Professor Paddle: New Waterfall Record vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: New Waterfall Record Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobin Replybullet Topic: New Waterfall Record
    Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:15am
I just got confirmation from Brad Ludden that Tyler Brandt hucked a 186' waterfall in Washington yesterday.

Holy crap, I am rooting around to find the river and the story.
Sure?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:19am
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:23am
Palouse Falls is 186 feet (according to the sign at the park) and the Palouse was running right around 2000 cfs yesterday, which would've been a prime level for the drop. I'd say 98% chance that that's the falls he ran.
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 9:35am
Sorry I didn't see Dave's post.

Just for perspective - The Tacoma Narrows Bridge deck is 187-1/2'
I know different kind of landing but it shows how freaking high that is

Edited by Tobin - 22 Apr 2009 at 9:40am
Sure?
Yotes
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Daddy Dutch Oven

Quote Yotes Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:34am
Just got confirmation from Ryan Scott, it was Palouse.
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:46am
WOW.  That is awesome!!

Hopefully he didn't land on his head and climb out from behind the falls
CRG Productions
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote CRG Productions Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 11:35am
More of the story here... www.lvmvideo.com
www.gorgehits.com
SupaSta
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote SupaSta Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 10:58pm
There seems to be no photos or video available unless you buy the movie.  Lame.
Life is short, paddle hard!
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 8:27am
That's so incredibly sick. Me and Mike were over there a few weeks back when it was running about 5K. Biggest water I've ever seen there. I'll post some pics later I got some pretty good shots.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 9:19pm
whoa! the pic of the falls at the link Ryan provided was overwhelming when thinking of a human in a plastic boat going over it.

with the frequency in which the water fall record is being broken, one might think the sport is experiencing an evolutionary outburst. Yet the gene pool remains in tact?

Jon Shell Bee
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 9:46am
I added some photos of the Falls from a few weeks back. Level then was around 5K (huge)... quite a bit higher than when it was run, I think they said that was about 2K (still alot of water, but with that much drop, I guess aeration is your friend)

http://professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=4075
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 4:20pm
Wow. According to the word I got, he paddled away (with a broken paddle), skirt intact around cockpit, no head plant.

Way to go Tyler! Glad you paddled away unscathed! I fear for whoever wants to break that record. Any foot now, any inch, any random happenstance--- and someone is bound to find that boundary of what is humanly possible.

Incedible, though!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 2:15pm

Which begs the question-- Is Palouse falls a class V+ drop? Or is it a class VI drop? It obviously isn't U (unrunnable). It sure as hell ain't ME- I'd ever line up to drop it! (<<that's the closest emoticon I can find to express "Hell no, I won't go!"--we need a FEARFUL emoticon, but that's another discussion...

Anyway, I'd really like to know. As boundaries will continue to be erased by each passing feat, can we really expect "class V" to be a container of infinite capactiy to hold every new accomplishment that is achieved in the future? It seems that sooner or later you'd have to start calling some of these rapids, drops and waterfalls "class VI" Not that any particularly high waterfall would necessarily qualify as class VI due to its height alone. I dunno. Just askin'... 

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 2:41pm
Certainly a discussion for another thread.

I see it as a class VI means unrunnable or never been run. Once its run it gets dropped down into the V scale. V.1 - V.10.

I would say that would be a V.10 meaning its been run but the next dropping might be death... same with sunset!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 3:02pm
Right on. There's always been a split camp about the class VI and its definition, although most guidebooks I've seen describe class VI as runnable if rarely run. I know that your "never been run" qualifier is prevalent throughout the west, but check the guidebooks for Idaho and Washington, or the Cassidy/Calhoun  guide to Western Whitewater, and they all define class VI as runnable if rarely run. It seems weird then that the generations that follow would step in the other direction and say class VI is synonomous with U (unrunnable, or "Off the scale" as soem have referred to it).

I don't think the Little White (taken as a run) is easier than class V. But the stuff in Rush Sturgis's  video of African Bigwater seems to me to be of a whole other class, and not just because it's in a remote expedition style setting, though that factors in for sure.

And The weird thing about the sub-V  decimal system is that one man's V.3 is another girl's V.1. I can see that myself looking at the inconsistant decimal ratings attached to several of the class V runs on the Guage Page. And then I ask- is 10 slots enough to keep packing new whitewater rapids and runs into over the next 100 years?

A thread begging to be started.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 3:38pm
I think that much like climbing the scale of V should be openended.  meaning that just because something harder gets run other things are not down graded, but rather new ratings are brought in to make it scaled and proportional.

Heck you could even toss in a few more letters for sub cats. V.7c
would that be granite falls?

lol
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 5:27pm
The way I look at it, a V.1 should be the same step up from a V as a V is to a IV and so on.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 6:15pm
...continuing with this off topic theme, why not simply increase the class rating (VII, VIII, IX) and finish it off with U? Obviously people are figuring out just what kinds of punishment, albeit swift, the human body can handle. And I don't see this trend stopping. Man wishes to see himself in as many flashy and fascinating ways as possible. Consider mirroed ceilings and disco balls. 
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 6:44pm
I think class V is a more recognizable term and thus it will be easier to move to a V.1, V.2 etc system. Class IV already means unrunnable so there is no point in changing the definition.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:37pm
kayaking isn't like climbing where it's a open ended scale, I think that kayaking can't have a true "difficulty" rating because drops like palouse falls do not take long to do, like the critical move only takes 1/2 a second, whereas on a climb it is critical move after critical move, not to belittle these paddlers acomplishments in running these huge drops, but I think kayaking at this level is almost more balls than skills. so the rating might not be for the actual difficulty (we know it's class V) but for the mangle factor...
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:40pm

addition: in paddling once you get to a certain point I think that the pace that new skills develop is replaced by the pace at which your comfort level rises. any class V boaters want to verify (or shoot down) my theory?

arnobarno
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote arnobarno Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 8:34pm
Continuing off topic though sort of continuing Kiwi's point...

One of the problems I've always had with the rapid rating system is that it conflates two completely different things - difficulty and consequence.  Why is that?
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 8:54pm
I would agree and disagree... while climbing is obviously not the same as kayaking the scale and increase in difficulting being attained is similar.

Climbers often peck away at a difficult route taking months or years before finishing it off or red pointing it, while in kayaking you really only have a few times or your going to either die or get badly injured. Notice rob has not been hunkered down on Sunset looking for the clean line, for good reason! its just different like you say. Same for palouse ... might have been cleaned this time but that does not mean a line of boaters are going to form at the lip to run it. adversly, that descent did up the bar for class V waterfalls so it should be open ended.
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by James

Notice rob has not been hunkered down on Sunset looking for the clean line, for good reason!

Damn right, it only took one try for Rob to find the "clean" line!

The only whitewater achievement that's occurred recently that is maybe more significant than Sunset Falls is Palouse. Wow! That both of these drops were successfully run is truly amazing and says as lot about the onging progression of the sport. My only regret is that I was not present for either of these historic feats which both occurred here in Washington. Congratulations Tyler!

I think the V.X system has some value, but I don't believe that it should be drawn out very far. For me, V.1 is "standard" class V, V.2 is V+, and V.3 or more is V+ with add'l difficulties such as a hike in, multiday, mandatory sketchy drops etc. With this system I don't see much use for V.4 or V.5, although I suppose those ratings could be used describe a runnable but extremely dangerous section, eg Dingford.

It would be interesting to see Tyler's take on rating the difficulty to waterfalls. If you've run many 50-100 footers, it's probably possible to break down the difficulty of different falls and give them ratings over a wide range. The fact of the matter is that a "big-drop" rating system would only have relevance to the people actually running those drops (not me). Therefore, I don't think it's worth the effort to try to make "official" rules or guidelines for this type of open-ended rating system.

water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:28am
I think you're right on, Ben.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version