Professor Paddle: Professor Paddle...now online on In Between Swims! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Professor Paddle...now online on In Between Swims! Post Reply Post New Topic
inbetweenswims
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Online Status: Offline
  Quote inbetweenswims Replybullet Topic: Professor Paddle...now online on In Between Swims!
    Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:15pm
In this episode...

Dane Jackson swims!

Brian Copanas talks about the Eddyflower Vertical Challenge.  Joining us is last year's winner, Tom Janney.

Shane Benedict reviews seal launches and how to run slides.

Travis Winn of the Last Descent River Expeditions reports on conservation and running rivers in China.

Leif Kirchoff talks about the annual Professor Paddle Ball at the Wenatchee River.

Find it at - http://www.inbetweenswims.com

Download it direct - http://media.libsyn.com/media/inbetweenswims/Episode_19_Dropping_in.mp3

On I-tunes, it can be found at http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=216032223 (I've just posted so it should be there shortly)

Thanks for listening!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2009 at 10:58am
Thanks for featuring our event in this podcast.  We are certainly appreciative of the press.

- Leif
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 2:38am
Times Leif said "economy, industry, or business" - 22 times.
Times Leif said "kayak" - 0 times.
27/320 & 1 bootie
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 8:34am
You seem surprised... I think if you look back at the posts about the PP Ball it will show a trend of this emphasis on other things besides kayaking.  There is so much talk about what cannot be done because of the "ecenomy", the declining "industry"/"business" instead of focusing on what can be done which is going kayaking together.  You do not need a ramp, race or chili to do that.  IMHO, for an event that is supposed to be about the community, the events should be designed to include everyone versus only the "cool guys" in the group while those of us that are "less cool" watch.  Again, just my 2 cents.
H2Ohta
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:27am
Lets cut the crap here ... The event has always been about paddlers of all skill. If anyone would like to voice up that went to planning meetings last year you might have remembered a constant discussion about making the event fun for everyone. If you went to the event last year you might have remembered a handful of people wanting the freestyle comp at trinity, instead it was at rodeo, so everyone would have fun. The Ramp was the biggest event with the most work, time and Investment; because it was something everyone could enjoy.

As far as the talk about the ball this year. I agree its less about balls and more about pits. When I listened to Leif's interview although i was appreciative that he took the initiative to help out, it was quite formal and felt like I was listening to a shareholders meeting. Had I been aware it was taking place I would have liked to participate. Although at the very least I can appreciate Leif's help, while not always in line with what I would do or say, always genuine in reason and effort.

slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:34am
James for city council!  
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:41am
Jeff (the in between swims guy) wanted to talk about the challenges of planning an event, particularly in a less than optimal economy.  He wanted to give us some press, but wanted the discussion to be more than just about the event.

I have to admit that I haven't listened to it yet.

I wanted to try to reinforce the idea that the event is about the paddlers; about reconnecting within the community; not about the industry.  Hopefully that made it into the cut.
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:43am
No need to get offended!!!  I just do not see how a rodeo in one of the two biggest features on the river, a race down a swollen Class IV stretch of river and a big ass ramp are for everyone. 
H2Ohta
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:47am
While I don't know if this made it into the cut of the interview, the enjoyment I get out of the event is seeing, and boating with, people I only see once a year.  I would assume the camping, party, and numerous informal river trips over the weekend are fun for everyone.
Chuck e fresh
Master Poster
Master Poster
Post Jester - Round Tres

Quote Chuck e fresh Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 10:51am
   P.P Balls are so much fun. It suck's if there yours but wash em off and move on  ! I think it's not a matter of cool or real skill to enter a contest. All the contest's are about paddling and the community. It's about putting forth effort.  If you sit around and watch that's on you. If you get up and join in maybe, you wouldn't feel so worthless or bitter about people having fun. It's not about winning or about being cool, It's about having fun with my friends and meeting new people !! New people that share some of the same passions. What ever the ball consists of , I'm sure at least in my mind it'll be off the hizzay. It's all what you make of it anyway !! No matter what it beat's sitting around the house stroking your own P.P ball's. Notice how I plugged the ball's at the begining and the end !!

Edited by Chuck e fresh - 12 May 2009 at 10:52am
There's no such word as can't!so stop making excuses!!!!
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 11:00am
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:24pm
Haha, you guys are pretty funny.  Weather in Seattle making people go crazy again?

Wasn't meaning to start anything just thought it was funny to hear Leif talk about the economy as the reasons for a smaller event this year.  Think all that talk is just naysaying doomsdayism.

You can make prizes super cheap w/ the slightest bit of creativity.  No reason to have to give away a kayak to have a successful event.  Go to the dollar store buy 20 paddle balls and write "Professor Paddle Ball 2009 Rodeo 1st Place, 2nd Place, 3rd Place, etc on them".  There 20 prizes for $20, think even Leif can afford that in this "downturn economy".  For the most part people are just as stoked on winning something like this as they are gear or swag.

To be honest I think large prizes like giving away boats do more to hurt the industry more than the economy does.  If every company helps out w/ requests to give away boats and gear they flood the market w/ crap that people sell super cheap.  

Last year's event was pretty inclusive of most boaters.  Anyone capable of running class IV could do the Icicle race last year, anyone who can paddle class II could have done the rodeo, and anyone who has a boat or sled could have enjoyed the ramp. If that was too much for people all throughout the weekend I heard about class I/II trips that people were going on w/ less experienced boaters that anyone was welcome to join.  It was by far one of the more inclusive events skillwise that I went to that year. 

Maybe a "fun float" from the campground to Cashmere where you have extra seats in rafts would be a good idea, sure one of the companies up there would be happy to donate a raft and gear if they aren't using it.  But then again in this "economy" it's more expensive to make a phone call and ask...

Starting to sound like Leif w/ how many times I said "economy" in this post.
27/320 & 1 bootie
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:32pm
100% agree with you, Paul...
inbetweenswims
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote inbetweenswims Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 5:00pm
I'll jump in and take responsibility for the formal 'shareholder's meeting' tone of the piece.  As a rule, I try to avoid promotion on the show - there's enough of that on other websites and paddling magazines.  I've been contacted by companies that want me to cover the release of their new helmet, paddle, or widget  - I've turned them down for that reason.

ProfessorPaddle is kind enough to allow me to post announcements of my show - something I don't take for granted.  Consequently, when there's an affiliated event - I'm glad to try to work something out with the folks/websites that support the show.  But, what I try to find is what the story is behind the event - or somewhere in the event (e.g., 'how do I know if I'm ready for the Gauley' in prep for Gauley Fest weekend).

Basically, I'm open to any and all story ideas for the show - as long as it's not "cover this because it's trendy and cool.'  The mentions of 'industry' and 'business' came at my prompting because I think grassroots events like the Professor Paddle Ball are rare - certainly when compared with the Teva Mtn Games or Gauley Festival.  I think there's a bit of a story there. (Whether I asked good questions it is another matter. I'm def not a pro at this and am figuring it out - based on feedback and experience - as I go along.)  More mentions of kayaking is a valid point I'll remember for future conversations. 

If there are any questions or comments, I'm eager to hear them - just drop me a note.

Thanks to ProfessorPaddle for allowing me to post and for contributing to the podcast.  And, thanks for listening. 

~jeffmc
H2Ohta
McNasty
McNasty

Quote H2Ohta Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 6:23pm
jeffmc,
Your podcasts/show are great. It is cool that you take a different approach and I apologize for taking the thread in a different direction. I appreciate your efforts and keep up the good work!!!
Chris Ohta
H2Ohta
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 11:27pm
Jeff,

The podcast was good, it's actually the 1st one that I've listed to because I wanted to hear what Leif had to say about the event.  It's fun to poke at Leif and his economy business industry lingo.  I've talked w/ him before about his doomsdayism & the paddling industry and this was just another one of those times.

There are a lot more "grassroots" (still have no idea what that means) events then there are commercial events, especially in the NW.  Teva, Gorge Games, and Fibark are kind of the exception.  Here's a list of events (races) in the NW alone:

March 21-22 Upper Wind IV/V Stabler-High Bridge Wind River WA K(S/L/W),R(2,4),C WWCS ORT
March 21-22 Rich Weiss Cup III/IV - ChilliwackBC - NWSCR-
March 28-29 River Redezvous II/III - Deschutes OR S NWSCR -
April 4-5 Cedar River Races II+ - Cedar River WA - NWDCR/NWSCR -
April 11-12 Canyon Creek Race IV+/V Below Fly - Lake Canyon Creek WA K(S),R(2),IK WWCS NWCC
April 18-19 Cowichan Slalom III - CowichanBC S - -
April 18-19 Upper Klamath IV - Klamath OR K(S,L),R(4),CWWCSORT
May 2MF Snoqualamie DR RaceIII-IV-MF SnoqualamieWAK(W,SL) NWDCR -
May 15-17Upper Clackamas Fest
III+IV+-ClackamasORK(S,L,W,SL),R,C WWCS UCWF
May 16The Robe RaceVRobe CanyonSF StillaguamishWAK(2x,S) - TRL
May 30-31White Salmon Riverfest
III / V
Orletta / Truss
White Salmon
WAK(S,L),R - WSRS
May 30-31Icicle Race
IV(+)Lower IcicleIcicleWAK(S,L),R - PP
June 5-7PBR RevivalIV-V-PayetteIDK(S,L),R WWCS PBR
June 6-7Slalom La SacII+-Cle ElumWAK(W,SL) NWDCR/NWSCR -
June 13-14Wenatchee FestivalIII(+)-WenatcheeWAK(S,L,W,IK),R,C - WF
June 20-21 Blackfoot River Fest
II-II+-Blackfoot MTK(SL,W) - BRF
June 25-26Chilliawack River SlalomIII+-ChilliwackBCK(SL) NWSCR -
Aug 6-9Canadian NationalsII/III-KananaskisAlbertaK(SL,W), NWDCR -
Aug 22-23Roaring River SlalomII-ClackamasORK(SL) NWSCR -
Sept 12-13Lockaby SlalomII+-ClackamasORK(SL) NWSCR -
Sept 19-20Skagit DR Fun RaceII/III-SkagitWAK(W) NWDCR -
Oct 3-4WKC Nooksack RacesIII--NF NooksackWAK(SL,W) NWDCR/NWSCR -
UnknownGorge GamesIV-/VTruss & MaytagWhite SalmonWAK(S,L) - GG
UnknownKings of the NF PayetteIV/V-NF PayetteIDK(S,L) - KI
UnknownLittle White RaceVHatchery - DranoLittle WhiteWAK(S) - -
Unknown6 Mile Creek Race--6 Mile CreekAKK(S) - -
UnknownSlough SlogI/II-Sammamish SloughWAK(S,L,W,Sea,) - Paddler
UnknownWest Coast Women's Paddle FestIII+-White SalmonWAK(S,L) - -
UnknownLower Wind Race IVShipperd's FallsWindWAK(S) - -

Only a few of the races/events listed for the NW are commercial ventures.  The rest are pretty low key events that people simply just don't know of or haven't heard of because they don't market like the "non-grassroots" events.  Think the "grassroots style" is becoming an increasing trend as creek races become more and more popular. 

Again nice work on the Podcast, thanks for promoting the sport.

Paul
27/320 & 1 bootie
PaulGamache
McNasty
McNasty

Quote PaulGamache Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 11:40pm
Dammit James, still can't edit posts... 
27/320 & 1 bootie
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 1:10pm
Yea ... Thanks again Jeff, sorry for the whining ... I can't help it...  it comes natural to me.

And Paulie... check your options now... should be back in the Edit mode. Freagin Moderators 
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2009 at 3:50pm
sigh-

I thought last year's event, and the very 1st one (I missed the second) were fairly all inclusive. And it must be emphasized: If you disagree, James and others have invited YOU (anyone) to become INVOLVED and PLAN upcoming events. But hardly anyone has stepped to the plate. And that's fine, too. The river still flows downhill. Want to have a class II Beer Slalom? Organize it. Or be happy with what others organize. Pretty simple concept, I think.

I'm just happy to hang out around some HUGE fire throughout a weekend of paddling with a mixture of people I paddle with regularly, and those who I seldom see throughout the year. I admit my own participation in planning has been lackluster. Really, I just plan on showing up. If people need a truckload of carrots on sticks dangled before them to motivate them to be there, well, maybe I won't miss them if the Carrot truck doesn't arrive.

A campfire, some decent flows, and at least a few good people are all I need to have a good time. Kayaking during the day, telling river lies at night! Once again I fail to see where the problem lies.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version