Professor Paddle: spray skirt ripcords vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: spray skirt ripcords Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: spray skirt ripcords
    Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 12:28pm

At the risk of jinxing myself, I haven't had to pull the ripcord in a while.  More a function of not pushing it versus being a stud.  But occasionally wonder about the last time that I did - seemed like I was fishing around for it whilst getting tossed around a bit.

Anyone have any opinions on how key it is to have a rubber bar on the ripcord (like NRS) or the plastic reinforcement (MountainSurf)?

I have a Snapdragon and it just has the nylon straps - they seem like a pretty top notch company and have probably put waay more thought into it than me and concluded their system is fine.  But am trying to divine why that is - seems like a reinforcement might make things a bit easier.

I think maybe just that awkward moment a while ago is messing with my head a tad and if I need to swim - I'll find the damn ripcord real fast.

Kind of hesitant to modify my own skirt with a tennis ball, plastic tubing, etc.

edit - sorry for the non-spray post

Edited by Scott_H - 17 Jun 2009 at 12:30pm
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 1:57pm
its all personal preference...  i don't think one is safer than another, but rather being familier with your gear.  the gas peddle is still on the right, and the grab loop is still up front

If you think about it, when you are upside down and need to get the loop, its going to be flopping around in the water all over, not sitting nicey nice on the front deck, grab the combing, run your fingers to the front of the cockpit, there you are, a grab loop.
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 4:53pm

Some of the skirts from Skirtworks seem to try to address this issue with a quick grab rip cord.  Not sure if it helps or not - in theory it seems like it would.

I think skirtworks was started by some of the guys from mountain surf.  The skirts sure look similar anyway.
Dave
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Texas Dave

I think skirtworks was started by some of the guys from mountain surf.  The skirts sure look similar anyway.

That is correct sir
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2009 at 9:39pm
I put a locking carabiner on mine. The key is to make sure that the biner is locked. I have found it makes the handle drop a little as the carabiner sinks.

Kyle
I smell bacon
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 9:35am
Lately, I have had no problem finding my Snapdragon spray skirt rip cord when I wanted to take a swim...
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version