Professor Paddle: Flathead River? vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Flathead River? Post Reply Post New Topic
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Scott_H Replybullet Topic: Flathead River?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 9:47am
I am going to be near Polson, MT for the 4th and noticed that there is a Class II-III run nearby on the main stem of the Flathead (Buffalo Rapids) that appears to be at a good level from the limited beta I have.  Looks like I might need a tribal permit.

Wondering if anyone has run it? 

I'd be taking a beginner in an IK (though a strong beginner) so not getting into something too crazy would be good and I'd scout but it seems pretty good to go given the II-III rating.

Middle Fork seemed like an option too, but its more of a drive and probably busier (?).
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 11:35am
Middle Fork Flathead is a blast, and the water is warm.  Scored a litre of Canadian mist and a 6 pack the last I time I ran it.  Good local crowd up there and the scenery is great as well.
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 12:35pm
I think cronar is talking about the multiday fly-in stretch of the MF Flathead.  There is a III lower run on the MF though that is less often run.  It's a very scenic run forming the southern boundary of Glacier NP.  The highlight of the run is 2 bedrock walls loaded with mountain goats.  I've never seen so many goats so close, it was a very unique and amazing river experience. 

Can't say I had positive or even neutral experiences with the outfitters up there, but the local boating community was good.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
cronar
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote cronar Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 12:49pm
No, Brian, I was talking about the day trip run along highway 2 to West Glacier, not the wilderness run you scored.  Rafts loosing booze in the river, quite the travesty.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 3:10pm
Thanks for the info!

The fly-in stretch sounds awesome - I think there is a section on Hwy 2 as well where there are usually a bunch of goats licking the natural salt deposits.  Going to have to stick to the mainstream stuff this go around.  Will need to improvise some netting to secure the river booty.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 12:42pm

Hey- I've run "Buffalo Rapids"- it is on the Main Flathead- right below Flathead lake. A super easy and safe class III run. The rapids are big, fun and easy. Classic Pool Drop style with huge flatwater recovery pools below each rapid. Ideal for beginners on a hot day! There are cliffs you can jump off of too (or seal launch, if that's your thing).

I'd say it is every bit as much fun as the Wenatchee, but with real rapids! Anyway, you really can't go wrong.

Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 1:13pm
I knew there had to be a well-traveled paddler out there!

I am now both bummed and stoked.  Bummed because we changed our trip for another couple weeks (hang on flows!).  But stoked to hear that it would be a great run to take in-laws down.  But bummed again because we have been vacationing there for years and had this great run 45 minutes away that I never knew about. 

Thanks JP - you got me super stoked to hit it up when I get out there.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version