Professor Paddle: Chelan Gorge TR vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Chelan Gorge TR Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Topic: Chelan Gorge TR
    Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 4:53pm
JP, Ian, and I  pulled into Lake Chelan friday night to met Brad for beers to discuss the next days run.  There was so much beta on this run, that i felt like i had already done it before.  Pics of every drop, video etc....   When we woke up, we headed to the meeting spot where we were suprised to find and entire security detail awaiting our arrival,  weird thing tho,  we were late,  and were still the only people there... where is everybody i asked?  

Tom O'keefe,  and the other county staff  showed up,  and the "official paperwork process" was underway.  We were all checked in by  very friendly staff at the Chelan PUD,  the dam operator,  and other high ranking county officials , that looked as if they expected hoards more kayakers,  especially given the security presence.

Now the fun part,  the run rocks!   For Beta see the Chelan PUB site or AW, "there is already solid and correct beta listed there.   But i will say this.  Entrance Exam is tougher than it looks in the video and pictures,  the hole at the bottom served  humble pie to some in the "other" group.  Brad had an amazing 45 second hole ride there,  but amazingly held on.  The rest of the rapids like Throne, double slide, super boof and others went really well.  You can portage most everyhting in the gorge, but i'll say this,  some of the drops like throne are very consequential, as classVI Pinacle is directly below.  Though the gorge is short,  our first run down took nearly 4 hours.  Our second run took about 2.5.   If you know the lines,  this run could be completed in 1.5 hrs. 

Regarding water levels.  On Saturdays releases,  the flows will always be lower, between 300-375.  We found flows at 340 cfs to be low but doable.  The big drops are all good, but the stuff at the top and bottom of the gorge needed a lot more water to avoid boat abuse.  On Sunday we had a flow of 420 (not a typo)   This is my opinion was a much better flow as the boulder gardens cleaned up and entrance exam began to flush more :-)   

To those that are thinking of going to the Chealn Gorge for the next upcoming release :

Please understand that these releases are not final.  They are doing a 3 year whitewater boating monitoring study, and what happens in the gorge is very closely watched and recorded.  Any incident could derail all the hard work that has been advocated over the last decade.  They are very concerned about liability issues in there.

That being said,  class V creekers are going to love this run!!!   It's a classic!

Scott

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 5:48pm
For a top of the canyon perspective check out the below link.   This guy caught some tense moments on film.  See if you can find em!

http://golakechelan.com/!2009/July/Kyak/
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 6:08pm
What he said (and that was well said, Fish)

Here's what I'll add: Like Fish I was surprised how weak the intitial turn out was for this incredibly rare opportunity. If washington kayakers  fail to express their interest in this gem of a run by not showing up, we'll loose our chance at being able to run this thing on a yearly basis. I was surprised that the "other"group didn't come back the next day, when flows were generally agreed to be better. I mean, you can run Icicle anytime.

We had our group of 4, they had 6. The next day Rob showed up to round our group up to 5. We almost didn't get to run because technically they want a minimum of 6 boaters to justify turning the spigot. What's up Washington paddlers?! I know there are more motivated class V paddlers than this. Hood River crews: where you at?! Short sleeve paddle tops. Need I say more? 95 degree sunny weather, ect. Awesome canyon rock with no-slip footing. This run really is a nice change of scenery. And some of the cleanest whitewater I've found in Washington yet. Big plunging drops, with huge deep pools.

I want to enthusiasticly invite all qualified, solid class V boaters to come out and explore this place. It is a real class V run though, so it's no place to be getting introduced to class V. And we were under the public eye. So not only do you have to be good, it's important to look good, too.

Lastly, Tom O'Keefe deserves a big round of applause from the kayaking community. Thanks to him and his hard work, both kayakers and PUD officials alike were able to have an arrangement that satisfied the liability and safety concerns of the PUD while keeping the red tape to a minimum. We were very warmly recieved by them, law enforcement, and other locals.

If you decide to come out to the Chelan Gorge, be prepared to be patient and friendly. You'll be high profile. Yes it's a more formal process than we are used to, but they are good folks, and it's well worth it. Just show up on time, jump through a hoop or two, be extra safety conscious as you normally would, and fill out their survey after your trip. You'll be glad you did!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 6:25pm
awesome photos for sure. But as you all know, views from any canyon rim tend to flatten out the topography- it's VERY steep in there, and each drop packs a lot of punch.
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 10:15pm
I would have been there, if they let 16 year olds do the run...
I had the ride there set up perfectly for saturday too!
can this rule be changed ever? like for next year?
Kiwi
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Kiwi Replybullet Posted: 13 Jul 2009 at 10:25pm

those pics are amazing, crystal clear water, sweet drops...   and the backwards and upside down run of a huge class V!

HoldinOn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote HoldinOn Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 8:34am
< ="CONTENT-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="GENERATOR" content="Office.org 3.1 (Win32)">< ="text/">

After coming back from the gorge this weekend, the first thing I did yesterday was go into work and request off the 25th and 26th for the next release. With how much work I have been taking off lately there is a very real possibility that this could cost me my job and even if it doesn't I may loose my apartment when I can't come up with rent next month. However, there are some things you just have to do and there is no way I am going to miss out on a Chelan Gorge release if there is any possible way for me to make it.

I think JP and Scott already pretty much said it about this run. Everything about it is spectacular: the rocks, the water, the gorge, the drops and the weather. Trust me, this is one of those runs where the pictures do not even come close to doing it justice. What is hard to describe is what an amazing trip all these factors, along with some others, combine to make.

For me what made this weekend so great was not just the white water (which was amazing) but the over all experience. The folks at PUD who ran the event were some of  the nicest people you could imagine and were incredibly supportive. They kept the red tape to a minimum, provided us with all the beta we could need and even had home cooked brownies and cold soft drinks waiting for us at take out. In fact, the entire community was very excited to see us going in there and paddling their gorge. When we came out of the gorge there were 50 people waiting on the bridge to cheer us on and watch us run the last couple of rapids. Later we were told that many of them had been waiting for over two hours in 95+ degree heat to watch us come through. In the town of Chelan, all the locals saw our boats on our car and had all sorts of questions for us. Many had heard about the release and all were excited that we were getting in there and enjoying their gorge. In all my years of kayaking I have never received such a warm reception from a community.

"Wait for it....."
HoldinOn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote HoldinOn Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 8:57am
< ="CONTENT-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="GENERATOR" content="Office.org 3.1 (Win32)">< ="text/">

Also, as anyone who has ever spent some time in Chelan can tell you, the town and the lake can be a great experience in themselves. It doesn't hurt that when you get off the river and head back to town for burgers and beers you find yourself in a lakeside party paradise complete with sun, clear warm lake water and beautiful women in bikinis (and maybe a bachelorette party if you get lucky....Scott) . As representatives of the kayak community Scott, JP, Brad and myself did our part to show them how kayakers can support their economy (mainly JR's bar and grill).

Let me just say one more time that this was a great experience that should not be missed. The only thing that could have made it better would have been a better showing from the kayak community. I would like to see these releases become an event where the north west class V kayak community comes together to enjoy a fun filled weekend. Tom along with many others at AW and PUD have done a lot of great work over the last ten years to get us access to this great resource and it would be a shame for ourselves as well as future generations of kayakers (your kids) if we lost it forever due to lack of interest. So if you are a class V kayaker, put it on your calender for the 25th and 26th. If there is something else already there, cross it out and put it on there anyways. See you out there!

"Wait for it....."
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 9:31am
Seriously, only two groups out there the whole weekend?  Hopefully next week has a better turnout.

Would have loved to been there, but I'm just not paddling enough lately to bring my A game.

Wouldn't want to be upside down on this drop.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 9:34am
Who is that? Looks pretty scary!!!
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 9:45am
that is super cool, sounds like an awesome time and some great folks.   
Originally posted by HoldinOn

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">After coming back from the gorge this
weekend, the first thing I did yesterday was go into work and request
off the 25th and 26th for the next release. With how much work I have
been taking off lately there is a very real possibility that this
could cost me my job and even if it doesn't I may loose my apartment
when I can't come up with rent next month. However, there are some
things you just have to do and there is no way I am going to miss out
on a Chelan Gorge release if there is any possible way for me to make
it.I think JP and Scott already pretty much said it about
this run. Everything about it is spectacular: the rocks, the water,
the gorge, the drops and the weather. Trust me, this is one of those
runs where the pictures do not even come close to doing it justice.
What is hard to describe is what an amazing trip all these factors,
along with some others, combine to make.For me what made this
weekend so great was not just the white water (which was amazing) but
the over all experience. The folks at PUD who ran the event were some
of  the nicest people you could imagine and were incredibly
supportive. They kept the red tape to a minimum, provided us with all
the beta we could need and even had home cooked brownies and cold
soft drinks waiting for us at take out. In fact, the entire community
was very excited to see us going in there and paddling their gorge.
When we came out of the gorge there were 50 people waiting on the
bridge to cheer us on and watch us run the last couple of rapids.
Later we were told that many of them had been waiting for over two
hours in 95+ degree heat to watch us come through. In the town of
Chelan, all the locals saw our boats on our car and had all sorts of
questions for us. Many had heard about the release and all were
excited that we were getting in there and enjoying their gorge. In
all my years of kayaking I have never received such a warm reception
from a community.

"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
xanthopb
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Can Fangula the Greek!

Quote xanthopb Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 9:52am
That was me upside down and backwards on the right side of Double Slide.  It's my preferred setup for drops that might not have been run before.  I botched the entrance and flipped.  Fish was there to grab me.  Instead of rolling, I just reached for his grasp.  We had a moment of contact, and then it passed.  I tried a roll and blasted into the drop backward.  Took a pretty good hit on the helmet but was OK.

I attempted the drop again the next day and although right side up, didn't come out with any better results.  As TG once told me referring to another drop, "that drop has an attitude," so does the right side of Double Slide.

The gorge was a cool experience and I highly recommend it.  I wore a t-shirt both days.  The hospitality of the Chelan PUD and everyone else involved was second to none.

-Brad
O-Qua Tangin Wann
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 10:39am
The TR and pictures are great.  What I commend you all on the most is the positive feedback on the organizers and the community of Chelan.  That says a lot for all of you. 

Hopefully when my skills develop more I'll be out there with you all.  Until then, what logistics are involved for walking/spectating within the gorge?  Tobin, were you out there for that?

Take care and have fun on the next release. 

Lanson
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 10:49am
No Lanson,
I thought about heading out, but opted to sleep in instead. Not boating has made me very lazy

Great pictures and it looks like an epic run!
Huge PROPS to Bradley for bouncing back for another can oh Whoop Azz. Dat boy got ballz

Edited by Tobin - 14 Jul 2009 at 10:51am
Sure?
slickhorn
Admin
Admin
IK MainiYak

Quote slickhorn Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 11:23am
Thanks for the TR Fish & JP.  This post is some of the best beta I've seen here in a long time. 

Did they end up enforcing the no softshell access policy?
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:08pm
Seems like a heads up to Oregon boaters via Jason Rackley's site or the PDX kayaker message board would be a good way to get the word out to the solid class V boaters down there that may not be aware of the releases. 
-Jay
HoldinOn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote HoldinOn Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Tobin

Huge PROPS to Bradley for bouncing back for another can oh Whoop Azz. Dat boy got ballz

This was my first time boating with Brad and that sums it up pretty well. Also, Mad props to him for holding on through a hole ride that was at least 45 seconds long in  Entrance Exam , no exaggeration, then attacking it again the next day!
"Wait for it....."
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:55pm
What's the possibility of this opening up to other types of crafts?
More water, please.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Slickhorn

Did they end up enforcing the no softshell access policy?

I talked with Tom, and the PUD about using different craft (IK and Raft).  It seems that through the  3 year evaluation and beyond,  it is going to be hardshell only.  There will be someone from PUD checking out the boaters who signed up, it's a formal process right now. 

JB,   with reagrd to your question about other boaters from the PDX.  The Chelan Gorge release has been a known event for some time, and many of the crews down south knew about the releases.  I've called/emailed many of the creekers down there,  and for some reason people just weren't motivated.  Some complained it was too far, others thought it was too short of a run to justify, others just wanted us to report on what we found, so they could make a decision.   Either way,  this river will soon be on the to do list for every qualified creeker in the future.  Its super high quality!!!    One day this will be a release that no one will miss,  mark my words,  it will grow in popularity as others see what we saw. 

Edited by James - 14 Jul 2009 at 1:56pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

Seriously, only two groups out there the whole weekend?  Hopefully next week has a better turnout.

Yeah, can you believe so few showed up? I didn't even do ANY research until I saw the beta Fish printed out on the car ride over. I just knew it was a rare opportunity, and that, if I would end up enjoying the run, I'd want to get in on the act early so I could come back. Now that I know the drill, I want to go back and pack a full lunch in there, and take a break just to sit on the sunny rocks and hang out. It's a short run, but why rush through it? It's a very beautiful place, and the whitewater is inspiring to behold.

Sure hope the turnout is better. Getting on some other forums is a good idea. Unfortunately I'm alergic to the horribly unusable format of Yahoo Groups! (No offense PDX, I just can't figure out how to navigate that Yahoo mess!)

Let's rally the troops though!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by PowWrangler

Would have loved to been there, but I'm just not paddling enough lately to bring my A game.

Wouldn't want to be upside down on this drop.

Yup!  "A" game definitely required! Unless you are Brad, then your "X" game will evidently suffice!  (As you can see by the photo of the "X-Factor" here! )

To be fair, though, I almost blew the sneak move to the left slide (just out of frame on R. Left) BOTH runs myself, and possibly could have had a similar outcome.

BTW-that slide is WAY steeper than it looks, and at least as undercut as it looks.

Edited by jP - 14 Jul 2009 at 1:30pm
toddg
Paddler
Paddler

Quote toddg Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 2:40pm
as a member of the "other" group, i'd like to point out that we opted to head up to twisp for beer & dinner that night, & then on to juicy as hell thunder creek (not icicle) on sunday.

chelan gorge is neat & something that every NW class V boater should be chompin' at the bit to check out (i too was a bit confused/dismayed by the lack of turnout relative to the registration list) .. but please, y'all be careful with the hype.    

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2009 at 3:57pm
Thanks for the great trip reports and pics! Looks like some big drops in there!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 15 Jul 2009 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by toddg

as a member of the "other" group, i'd like to point out that we opted to head up to twisp for beer & dinner that night, & then on to juicy as hell thunder creek (not icicle) on sunday.

chelan gorge is neat & something that every NW class V boater should be chompin' at the bit to check out (i too was a bit confused/dismayed by the lack of turnout relative to the registration list) .. but please, y'all be careful with the hype.    

all right, fair enough-- Just want to get folks out there to cement our toehold in the door to this canyon-- It's only a weekend or two out of the year, and not a bad diversion from other places to boat. Hype not withstanding, pretty good pleasure to effort ratio-- big drops and easy scouting (or portaging if you have to), no Devil's Club, ect.

HoldinOn
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote HoldinOn Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 8:26pm
I just found a great video online of Brad's backwards and upside down descent of the right side of double slide, check it out at:

http://gallery.me.com/snomish#100008
"Wait for it....."
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version