Professor Paddle: San Juan Kayak Camping... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Chit Chat
 Professor Paddle : General : Chit Chat
Message Icon Topic: San Juan Kayak Camping... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KBfree Replybullet Topic: San Juan Kayak Camping...
    Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 6:29pm
I am planning on getting a group of people together to do some sea kayaking in the San Juan's.....   Is anyone interested in heading out there for up to a week....most likely starting around Saturday 22nd of August?  

I have a few people interested so far and I am collecting tide and current maps.  Other safety gear and radios will be purchased or borrowed. 

My goal is to leave from the Guemes Ferry dock in Anacortes and make our way to several state park islands in the San Juan ’s.  The itinerary is open and may be subjected to weather and other elements.  However, it may also be possible to utilize the ferry for exploring a further out near Friday Harbor and for meeting up with more folks, or for others to hitch a ride back to Anacortes early depending on schedules and timing.

I will be looking into renting locally in Anacortes where I live....or if another possible source if available....please let me know.   

Thanks

Kirk

ke_bigelow at yahoo.com

Kirk B
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 8:15pm
We were planning a trip around the same time frame in August. I think it would be fun to have a good sized group. We usually only have around 3-4 in a group, so it might be fun to have more.

I was thinking about leaving on Wednesday the 26th and returning on Monday the 31rst.

The Tides are looking pretty sweet for some low current paddling during that period. http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/141.html?y=2009&m=8&d=26

The scheduled days are kinda weird, but had to schedule around some unmovable activities and work...also less people out there to fight over camp spots during mid week.

There are several places to rent boats and equipment here in the Seattle area. Aqua sports, and Kayak Academy are two of them.

I am also a seasoned paddler of the San Juans (used to live up there)and know most of the waters very well up there and most of the boat accessible camp spots too.

This trip will be the last hurray for the summer for me before clamping down and working before the WW season begins again.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 8:23pm
Dave

That sounds like a great plan.  We should plan on meeting up.

I'm also working with fixed time off and it has to be 5 days off in a row before Sept.

Anyway... lets make it happen.

Kirk
Kirk B
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 9:18am
I would really like to do this type of trip next year. Please let the rest of us know how it goes for you, and any tips you have for planning a trip like this.

I know going with someone experienced with the area is the best tip. What else do you have for us?
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 9:49am
I am in, weather permitting.

Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 11:51am
I am interested. I know someone with a couple of single kayaks that I could borrow if they are not using them then. If things come together right, including borrowing kayaks, I am in. Keep me posted on details.
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 10:27pm
Kayak camping in a sea kayak is kinda like backpacking, but a whole lot easier. Kinda like car camping, but a whole lot harder...

Lots of fun and you can bring a lot of stuff, but you gota plan out meals, water (not much drinking water in the Islands, kinda like a desert), and you got to plan out your space in the boat for packing carefully.

My son and I (he's 21) just went for a 3 day trip to Cyprus Island (lots of hiking trails there) and we also paddled the Cone Islands in the area. That is a great easy first time trip for people interested in trying out Sea Kayaking. It's close to Anacortes and has spectacular scenery.

I could guide a trip to the outer Sucia Islands and Petos. That would be about 15 to 18 miles per day if you did a total trip out and back. Anacortes to Clark Island, Clark to Patos (short 8 mile run), Patos to Stuart or Posey (long day of paddling)then decide weather to do the west side of San Juan, ride the ferry back to Anacortes, or paddle back to Anacortes down the middle of the Islands via SanJuan channel stopping at Jones or Turn Island overnight.

That would be 5 days of paddling and an ambitious undertaking for even experienced paddlers. There are a multitude of other possibilities also.

We probably should have a planning get together in the next few weeks or so.
Nomad
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:50pm
That's excellent information .... thanks Dave.

Speaking for myself and what I want to experience on this trip, is I want to gain an understanding of the possibilities the San Juan's have to offer.  I feel like being ambitious for my first time out will help develop my perspective for down the road.  Ambition can always be adjusted to accommodate  circumstances (like weather or fatigue) but I'm approaching this knowing there will be long paddle days in open stretches.....  (this is going to be awesome).  How long to get there... and how long take coming back is always open for discussion.

My mental prep though is pretty much staged for a multiday trip and I'm stuck rowing my cat boat fully loaded (which is for sale by the way 16' aire).  It breaks you down physically, but by the 3rd day you awake as a completely different person. 

I will most likely be at the Sky race event unless I get talked into running Tumwater.  But I'm only paddling Saturday.  If your there let me know.

Kirk

Kirk B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 6:59pm
I will be at the sky on Saturday. Bringing my orange 4 fun.

I just got back from Chelan, it was awesome and lake was warm...we just swam and paddled around for fun, but that would be an interesting place to sea kayak someday...
Nomad
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 8:27pm
I was just looking at pictures of that place.....an if you told me that was in some foreign crazy land I'd believe you.  In fact, this particular run is going to inspire me to start getting on my s#!*.  Chelan water is pristine..... 

So you were just swimming around in the canyons?   Sweet.  What's it like without the water?  

I will have a green supers star.  I'm not racing but it would be nice to get a lap in and then make another back to BD by noon. 

Kirk
Kirk B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 4:36pm
Ya we just swam around...it was the clearest cleanest water I had ever seen!

I am going to try and be at Split Rock takeout around 10am. Probably not doing laps, just the run from Cable to Split and stop and watch boulder for a few...
Nomad
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 9:58pm
Well, I am going to have to work every Tuesday for the next few months. But I can take Wed through Monday off for the trip.

My plan would be to take a water taxi landing craft and intercept you guys in the morning on Wednesday then paddle the rest of the week with you. The taxi costs about $100 and will take you anywhere...

I'm in if you guys are still up for it and I would be glad to have a planning session sometime soon.
Nomad
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 5:00pm
Are we planning to be sea kayaking the following weekend (29/30)?  I ask because the Thompson is falling faster than usual this year, and if we want to hit the Thompson, we may want to do it prior to the Payette pilgrimage.

- Leif
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 6:46pm
I'm up for a planning session soon.  I will actually be in Seattle Wednesday night and possibly this weekend on Saturday.  I"m taking a rescue course on lake union with NWOC Wed night...its pretty cheap and I've never self rescued before.  Not a big fan of swimming in there but I'll keep my eyes closed just in case. 

We should think about a head count and kayak count since I am learning that Sea kayaking is MUCH more expensive than ww. 

Leif...  we can do whatever we want and I've read the ferries are "friendly" to walk-on sea kayakers.  I going into the intention on having a good time... so we'll see where we end up.

Can we locate a hand held VHF?

Kirk

Kirk B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 9:43am
You normally have cell coverage up there.

Should carry flares with you too.

Nomad
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 1:41pm
Kirk, you were joking baout catboating, right? like, you're not planning to catboat in the San Juans, are you? I'm confused. If you are, I definitelty won't be joining you.

Otherwise I have my own sea kayak and may be able to meet up for a midweeek 3 day stint. I'll probably launch from Washington Park and meet up with you, or I don't know- keep me informed maybe I can do the whole trip with you.

I've circumnavigated the San Juans in about 3 days. We did paddle on an aggressive agenda, though, and we planned many of our longer legs with MAX current, utilizing it to help us cover ground. Sometimes in august you'll have to plan around morning fog, just so you know.

Anyway I have extensive overnight experience. I'd suggest to anyone new to multi-day s.k. trips to go on an overnight trip first to get an idea of how it goes. From Anacortes it's easy to paddle to Strawberry Island - one hour or two of paddling, camp on the island, paddle an hour or two baclk to the mainland.

anyway, contact me if you have any questions.
jP
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:20pm
DNR just closed Strawberry permanently...gutted the whole island, camp spots, stairs, outhouses and all. They said they are not going to enforce no overnight stays, but ask people to be very careful if they do stay there and leave no trace...that is unofficial of course...officially it is closed and in protected status and you could be fined if caught staying there...but they don't have the money to enforce anything right now.
Nomad
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2009 at 8:24pm
Wait a minute - does it matter?  Sea Kayaking is the sport of the wealthy REItards.

As such, I thought we were going to be paddling between B&Bs and local galleries.

Just kidding.

I do think we should consider rallying to the Thompson the weekend of the 29th, though.
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:29pm
I was going to launch on the Robe and meet up with you guys on Jones Is.   JP that's hilarious.....

I'm trying to get my hands on a rig but only a few leads yet. 

But I also have a friend that can only go for half week too......and was planning on going the first leg.  I'll see if they can coordinate.

Dave... was the water taxi $100 per person or could it be split, or could a person go back to Anacortes and help with costs?

Guess routes will depend on weather, winds and currents.....

Kirk

A three day circumnavigation???  That's increadible.....   Maybe we can make our way out to
Kirk B
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 11:12pm
http://www.islandexpresscharters.com/
Nomad
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 11:02pm
Ok were sort of getting close...  I am planning on heading out Saturday morning from Anacortes with a small group if we can get organized in time. 

Dave if you or anyone else wants to leave a car at my house I can let you know where I live. 

There's a possibility a friend of mine will motor his 1930 37' wood trawler up to meet for a night.  Not sure what day though.... 

Still would like to find another sea kayak for myself or a friend to use...  If possible let me know....

ke_bigelow at yahoo

Kirk 
Kirk B
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 11:58am
I'm not gonna make it. Stuck in Raft Guiding land.
I never said I would launch on Robe and meet you on James Island, but that is a funny thought.  It sure would be tough to run Last Sunshine in a sea kayak, water levels permitting or not. I'd portage Granite Falls, provided I didn't get pinned in Faceplant with several days worth of food between the bulkheads...

Dave- you sh*tt'n us about Strawberry? The world IS coming to an end. I'm suddenly very sad.

Yeah, ambitious paddlers can cicumnav the islands in 3 days and still have time to kick back at camp in the evenings. You gotta like current though, and you should have a Peach Can on board for sure.

It's all about the Peach Can.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 12:14pm
I am 100% in
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 2:31pm
Have to work on Tuesday for sure now. I would not be able to go until Wednesday. Kinda makes it hard to get coordinated. If I go, I will have to play it by ear and probably call you guys on Wednesday morning to find out where you are. As it looks, I may have to bail right now though. I know you guys will have a blast with or without me. The San Juans are always great!

I may make a surprise showing though, at least I hope I can...
Nomad
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 9:41pm
Dave,  Any chance of making it out until Monday and heading back on the ferry?  I have a friend that can only stay with us until then and will head back. 

Kirk
Kirk B
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version