Professor Paddle: For those who wonder why SUP is becoming popular vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: For those who wonder why SUP is becoming popular Post Reply Post New Topic
CEEMGEE
WW Industry
WW Industry
Aquasports Paddling Store

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CEEMGEE Replybullet Topic: For those who wonder why SUP is becoming popular
    Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 8:34pm
Duh, [URL=http://2imagine.net/blogger2009/stand%20up%20paddling%20in%20montreal.html]
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 10:27am
HA HA HA!!! -And did you see the one picture of the guy in a sea kayak, looking at the camera as if to say: "Golly gee I'm such a dweeb in my SAP (Soggy Ass Paddle-craft)"

sex sells, and SUP is just a fad. I really doubt that even the most avid SUP paddlers (excluding the pro surfers who are being used to market them) will be able to tap into their new sport to the depths that whitewater paddlers do

While whitewater paddling and sex are apples and oranges, the Little White and other quality runs do a pretty good job at competing with it as far as spectacular physical sensations go on this planet.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 11:15am
I thought it was a fad too, but now for some reason I want one...and I want to move to Montreal.  I don't even like the french.  They are controlling my mind.  What is happening to me?
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 11:19am
Originally posted by jP

and SUP is just a fad. I really doubt that even the most avid SUP paddlers (excluding the pro surfers who are being used to market them) will be able to tap into their new sport to the depths that whitewater paddlers do

This 'fad' as you call it is pretty much here to stay, the 'industry' said te same thing about snowboarding some time ago - you've heard of that 'fad' right?.  This industry is HUGE right now, and as every industry sees, there are boom times and down times.  But seeing all this SUP hype first hand for some time, I think recreational SUP is here to stay.  Whitwater on the other hand, will hit its cool spot then die off.  I think the WW side is something new sense the boat designs of WW are pretty much stale.

SUP is a way for the people who can never capture surfig in its true form, and make them feel like they are Surfers Dude. 
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
dylan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote dylan Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 11:38am
seee  kayak
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by dragorossinw

Whitwater on the other hand, will hit its cool spot then die off.  I think the WW side is something new sense the boat designs of WW are pretty much stale.

What? whitewater boat designs are stale, huh?I dunno, but my Creekboot feels pretty FRESH when I nuke-boof Wishbone. This from the Draggorossi rep. You must be drinking gallons of that SUP Koolaid, m'man. They also said that sit-on tops were gonna take over the river. It was a fad.Now you can't tell me it's not a fad anymore than I can tell you it is. we'll have to all wait and see...

Look dude, Whitewater isn't gonna die off. Where you getting your info for that? And boat designs will continue to evolve for sure. Some hotshots will continue to come along and nudge the sport forward as individuals and then others will follow. The same way me and a bunch of others followed suit and paddled squirt boats in the 80's after a handfull of people brought them into style... And now look what the modern playboat has done. Expect advancements in Big Waterfall boats and Big Water designs.

What's that you say? Oh. There's no market.  It's expensive to make plastic molds, yada yada.

Well things change. Once upon a time there were about 3 plastic boats (all of them SH*T designs-even at the time- I was there.) you could buy. Then along came the 90's--the BIG BANG of plastic boat designs.

Technology will continue to advance if we don't kill ourselves first (we just might). Expect a renaisance of custom boat designs-there are still infinite combinations of kayak shapes we haven't seen yet. Expect new advancements in composite materials (this is a real possibility). The sport of Whitewater has always been driven by PASSIONATE INDIVIDUALS, and therefore WILL NEVER DIE!!

Until then, all of the boat manufacturers can vaporize and dissappear from the face of the earth as far as I'm concerned. It's possible I can still be paddling the boat I have now 10 years into the future (I got an Eskimo). By then it's quite concievable that I'll be able to extrude my own custom design at a locally run shop. It may be affordable to do plastic one-offs. Unlike today, where industry has us all under a tyrannical grip and tells us what to paddle with their long arm of marketing and bikini clad PR.

---ahhhh! boy I haven't had a rant like that in awhile! I feel much better!

Edited by jP - 10 Sep 2009 at 12:41pm
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 12:42pm
That's right-- I said "creekboot". It's German.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 2:32pm
To nuclear boof-   to over boof a drop.   Seen commonly on drops like spirit falls.   
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 2:54pm
Yeah, when a kayaker places an overpowered stroke at the lip of a drop,  causing the boater to project out of the desired landing zone,  or to land flat. 

Its fun to watch,  but it usually hurts...  There is footage somewhere of this guy from Cali (forget his name)  who ran Spirit for the first time this year with our group,  he boofed so hard,  that he became disconnected from the waterfall, and landed in green water.  We just started calling him nuclear boofer,  he had 1 level of power 100% on every boof.   Hilarious... and scary
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 3:26pm
Core SUPs are well represented at the beaches in SC/NC.  A couple weeks ago during hurricane Bill, I watched some sweet surfing by these cats.  They were able to catch the waves further out and deeper than many of the surfers.  Many use long boards instead of the marketed SU boards so the performance is there with the added torque of a paddle.  Good stuff.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 2:52pm
At what point is it no longer stand up paddling? Do you have to have a SUP board, a SUP paddle or both?

I say this because it is clear that SUP paddling is to surfing as sit on top rec boats are to kayaking. Don't get me wrong you can have fun on both but when your ready to shred you realize that its time to look to the more advanced craft.

I can imagine a SUP board contest... doesn't attract my attention at all, adversely I could enjoy an afternoon of SUPn round the lake or rio. Meaning I doubt it will go all mainstream with big comps but I can see it being a massive seller like Rec Boats.
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 3:35pm
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 6:26pm
[QUOTE=jP] Look dude, Whitewater isn't gonna die off. Where you getting your info for that? And boat designs will continue to evolve for sure. Some hotshots will continue to come along and nudge the sport forward as individuals and then others will follow. The same way me and a bunch of others followed suit and paddled squirt boats in the 80's after a handfull of people brought them into style... And now look what the modern playboat has done. Expect advancements in Big Waterfall boats  
[QUUOTE]

I wasn't bay any means saying Whitewater kayaking is going to die off, no way in hell.  I was speaking in the context of WW SUP.  Sorry, I should have clarified
Tony Z
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 11 Sep 2009 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by jP

They also said that sit-on tops were gonna take over the river. It was a fad.Now you can't tell me it's not a fad anymore than I can tell you it is. we'll have to all wait and see...

Sit on top didn't have 6+ journals devoted to it, every company turning out a half dozen or more designs or 'pros' from every facet of the outdoor industry getting into Sit on Top as they are SUP........... I love Koolaid, its yummy... got some new Nikes to go with them too.
Tony Z
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 9:34am
Hey, to each their own.

As far as the Nuke Boof thing goes, (and this is only my opinion)- I personally define the Nuke Boof as goin BEYOND flat. Landing on the tail. Landing on the stern of the boat. Having the bow pointed to the sky when you land.

Landing flat isn't fun, generally. But landing on your tail is. It's actually pretty cool. The first time I ever did it, I was paddling down a 40' slide in Wyoming (Bear Creek Falls- it ours into the CF of the Y).

To SUP or not to SUP, whatever floats your boot. Basically it's just another activity I don't have time or money for, that's all.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version