Professor Paddle: Muddy Fork Cowlitz NO, Class VI vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Muddy Fork Cowlitz NO, Class VI Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 3:10pm
My wife works with Scott Kennard who did a few first d's back in the day.  I'll check with him and see what he knows as well.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 5:36pm

In reference to my name being tossed out, I'll bite.  I was slaughtered in the FITW thread for not providing a blow by blow account of what the run was like.  Could it be because two men ran this section that no one is bitching that the details are not given in precise detail?  I wonder if two women ran it they would be dubbed liars as I was.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 7:32pm
"Re historical beta on the lower canyons you might want to contact Scott Matthews. He's boated the last canyon you mention (#4) at least a couple of times, and there's a good chance he and maybe Sprague et al ventured into #3 and #2 as well.
"

I've done a lot of research on this river, over the last month and a half. No new school kayakers that I have talked to know anything about it. When you mention Muddy Fork Cowlits to most young kayakers, they just draw a blank face and say "Where is that?" So most of my information has come from old school kayaker John Whaley who kayaked gorge #1 and #4 with Scott Matthews back in the day. He also was good friends with Bill.

According to him, the descritption in the book was written from a trip Bill Bowey and Jeff Allen did. I am not sure how long ago. Unfortunately, I was unsuccesful at finding Jeff to talk to him personaly about it. (though I would still love to do that if I get a hold of him somehow)I would also love to talk to Scott if I could get a hold of him or anyone who knows anything about the history of this run.
Anyway I had always been interested in it as it is in my backyard drainage, so when the ohane dried up this august I desided to go investigate it myself with my two friends.
What we found didn't seem to meet the the descrition, but we just assumed that Bill was understating the run, and that he was a serious badass. (the descrition is rather vague afterall) but it looked cool so we kept going back to investigate more and more and more...
eventually we concluded that the descripton was BS not because of what it left out of the description, but more beause of what it said was NOT in there. And believe me, we are not the only ones who think that.
From the old school kayakers I've talked to the descripton matches perfectly with gorge #4 however, the putin logistics don't land you at the entrance to gorge #4, they put you right above gorge #3. This is were things get fishy unless of course I suck at reading derections and maps. I know my spelling sucks, so maybe my reading does too! but I checked it over and over, and I don't think so.
Anyway, I would love to hear ANY informantion that ANYONE has on this run, or if anyone knows how to contact any of the old school kayakers that were doing FDs like mad in the 80's and 90's in washington, I would love to talk to them and hear thier stories. fell free to PM me if you want, or my email is: bbisthe88@yahoo.com
or call 3605662480

But as far as the Muddy Fork goes, I am still calling gorge #3 a FD untill I can talk to someone who has been in there and kayaked it themselves.

Hopeing to hear from some knowable kayakers soon,
Jared
olyyakker
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote olyyakker Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 7:50pm
what happened to the original thread?    I am a good friend of one the two involved and have seen how this has impacted him.  What they did is what exploration and adventure is all about and why I became a kayaker to begin with.  I am disappointed that people let their petty differences allow the rest of the kayaking community to minimize the achievement that these two guys, who spent weeks planning, hiking, climbing and almost dying for what is their  ultimate thrill.  I myself am am rejuvenated by  their enthusiasm plan on having the best winter of boating I have ever had.  I hope eveyone does as well.

Cheers
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Meghan

In reference to my name being tossed out, I'll bite.  I was slaughtered in the FITW thread for not providing a blow by blow account of what the run was like.  Could it be because two men ran this section that no one is bitching that the details are not given in precise detail?  I wonder if two women ran it they would be dubbed liars as I was.

Ya, these are completely identical situations and the difference was due to sexual discrimination.  LOL.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 7:59pm
Agreed POW!!! ( FITW vs Uber Obscure Run - Daily Training Ground vs Exploratory) Don't get me wrong, boobs out rank a dong any day of the week, but really now...

Oly: not sure what original thread your talking about, or why you think this is being minimized, but it seems like everyone is excited for them to me...
wallyworld
Paddler
Paddler

Quote wallyworld Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 9:12pm

I've been running it over and over again in my head. If you guys hadn't insisted on starting so early, I'd have likely gone with you. Three boats above that toilet bowl....................would have felt really bad about bumping Travis out of that two boat eddy. Massive kudos you guys. You did it. Ready for the Tilton yet Jared? A little booze cruise surf session to heal those wounds. Sounds like Mark is fired up. Bring on the rain.

let's go get it
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 11:18pm
you would have "felt bad" ?
I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if that happend. I would have gone into that "thing" and drowned vs. knocking my paddling buddy out of the safty of the two boat eddy and killing him. I feel bad enough already.
I don't think you guys quite understand the intenseity of the situation we were in.

on a liter note, yes a chill booze cuze down the tilton sounds nice. hopefully the rains aren't too far away.
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 12:42am
Originally posted by etive

Here ya go... the toilet bowl...

Jesus.

Just imagining being in that situation makes me feel ill.

Congrats on surviving.
-Jay
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:32am

Ya, these are completely identical situations and the difference was due to sexual discrimination.  LOL.
[/QUOTE]
Hey dick...not giving out information is not giving out information.  LOL?  Freaking tool. 
Meghan
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote Meghan Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:44am
PowWrangler...stupid name.  You're not a truck driver, this isn't Smokey and the Bandit, why do you have a handle?  Why not just put Dave up?  Freaking tool.  LOL
jihad
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote jihad Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 6:53am
Originally posted by jihad

you would have "felt bad" ?
I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if that happend. I would have gone into that "thing" and drowned vs. knocking my paddling buddy out of the safty of the two boat eddy and killing him. I feel bad enough already.
I don't think you guys quite understand the intenseity of the situation we were in

Check out the Scandinavian film called "Brother" to see how a simualr situation would have destroyed me mentally.
there is an american version out soon by the same name, don't know if it is as good though...
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 9:14am
Way to go Jared and Travis.  Sounds and looks pretty epic.  Thanks for sharing with this 'somewhat dysfunctional' community of paddlers.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 9:23am
Originally posted by huckin harms

this 'somewhat dysfunctional' community of paddlers.

What? Why add all that in there. Community of Paddlers should indicated all that anyway!!
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:03pm

Absolutely. That's certainly one of the defining facets (though not the only) of this sport.

(Exploratory boating, that is. But sadly, humorously, or however you choose to look at it, so is talking a bunch of sh!t and getting your wetsuit in a bunch when you think someone has stepped on your ego.) Don't worry Meghan, it's all cool. And james is gonna Jab everyone once in a while, and that's cool too.

let's remember to laugh at ourselves.

But Back to the muddy...
It sounds like the kind of canyon you'd want to rope into to scout beforehand. And yeah, I respect you two for going in there. I've (...kinda) wanted to go in there and check it out.
I don't get the impression anyone's diminishing such an achievement.

Still, canyons get explored. And some people, boaters included, aren't able to iimagine what it's like to go through such experiences, unless they have themselves. And, then there's the fact that no two river trips are exactly the same.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:31pm
Here Here... I should have kept my fat mouth shut. Joking in a thread like this is pretty much un-acceptable.

I think the feat is certainly worthy of applause. Just like many other First D missions folks are always quick to claim it's been run before or not that difficult, but only those that have been there really know. Exploration is a great aspect of our sport and although it can take place on many levels, this is what True Exploration is about, venturing into the unknown.

For everyone that thinks they deserve a certain type of response or re-action, guess what ... your wrong. They got what they deserved when they exited the run accomplishing what they set out for, and that's what no one can offer but the adventure itself !!!!!
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:42pm
thanks man...

Also, on that note... Darrin Albright had a look at "the Pinch" and decided it wasn't to his liking....  McKibbin also had some pause, but agreed to come, only to have timing not work out...

This run had some teeth... and oddly the biggest teeth we didn't see coming....  Not sure how much will come out in public, but that toilet was the scariest (but not hardest part...) and 100% unexpected

The trip was definitely worth it...  It was incredible in there, I kinda started this thread because I had an inkling that somebody may head in there after hearing that yahoos like us did it and get in trouble....  I would not like that, not like that at all.... also it would be VERY easy to get in said trouble... as we did...
H2O please
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:47pm
Hey Jared, if your looking to become a published Author, maybe write up an account and send it in to C&K.  There looking for creeking adventure/misadventure stories for their January/ February issue. 

Once it starts raining we gotta get some Tilton runs in. 

http://www.awa.org/content/Article/view/articleid/30573/display/full/
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2009 at 2:49pm
oh s#!t, I'm not good at this site and meant that to go just to go in a PM

too late now?  Anyway, sorry... didn't mean to talk about anybody in this forum... I was trying to bring paddlers who I knew were better than me and was actually surprised that they seemed to have the same concerns I did...  This drop was tricky and has the room of doom....

I had wished in the beginning that we had more paddlers, then the water level dropped and it turned out that we had the right number to safely negotiate the spot we found ourselves in...  The level change also may have played a part in it being so scary...  A problem possibly inherent with long missions.

I've gotta learn not to have multiple windows open...  Sorry Darrin and Rob...
H2O please
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version