Professor Paddle: Snohomish: 522 to Everett Discussion Thread vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Trip Discussion's
 Professor Paddle : General : Events : Trip Discussion's
Message Icon Topic: Snohomish: 522 to Everett Discussion Thread Post Reply Post New Topic
Snohomish: 522 to Everett (Trip Quick View)
Find out more details by Viewing the Trip Page
Snohomish
Trip Leader : jP
Contact # : 206-755-2336
Meeting Time : 3/6/2010 8:00:00 AM
Meeting Place : 522 Bridge
Paddlers Paddling
KBfree , Jed Hawkes
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Topic: Snohomish: 522 to Everett Discussion Thread
    Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:02pm
OK. Why would you want to boat this?

Actually, it's kinda cool. Most "local" run possible for me, except maybe for lower Pilchuck River. Make sure to time the tides right. Past the first 2 miles down from 522, the river flows upstream when tides are coming in, except when the river flow is up high enough to counter-act it.

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:16pm

This is the Snohomish: 522 to Everett discussion thread. Please post any questions below.

Remember the actual Trip Details are located on the Snohomish: 522 to Everett | Trip Page

Every time I drive up to the Sky I can't help but want to paddle the Snohomish...

I want to plan a trip from the confluence of the Sky and the Sno, and run it all the way out to Everett where the Snohomish flows into the sound (still need to do my homework though to determine the length of such a trip-it's possible I'll choose an earlier takeout).

Not sure really when this trip will occur. I just want to see if there's any interest here on PP. Otherwise I'll make a solo trip of it, in which case I will go all the way to Everett for sure even if I have to make an overnighter of it. I'm going to try to plan it when it's relatively warm and dry.

The idea is to take a long kayak (I mean really long: I'm taking my 17' sea kayak because it's the best boat I have for this trip) and crank out this long flatwater stretch. The pace will be moderately fast with minimal stopping aside from a few lunch/pee breaks. So if you want to join this trip be prepared to paddle at least at a moderately fast pace. You'll also need a 15' kayak or longer so our pace will be compatible.

We will of course pack a full lunch and other snacks, maybe bring a bottle of wine and/or other "treats".

Anyway, if this sounds like something you're into hit me up with a PM and we'll go from there.

Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer
Whitewater,sea kayaking, snowboarding, backpacking.

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 5:18pm

I'd be game.  I've paddled it from the confluence down to Snohomish, so that would be another segment I can notch off!

Jimmy
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 5:26pm
Cool, Jimmy! I'll keep ya posted then.

I think it's roughly 25-30 miles. So There's lots of options, really. For example, if you didn't want to do the whole thing you could meet up with me in Snohomish - roughly the halfway point. Do you know how many miles you paddled from the confluence to (the town of) Snohomish?

Something else to consider is the water level. This trip could be planned when it's relatively dry so we don't miss out on paddling elsewhere, or it couldbe planned when the water is higher, to provide more downstream current (at least until we get to the tidal zone). And some sort of "medium" flow could be chosen. For example, when the Sky is running 5,000 cfs or something.

I dunno. any input you got would be welcome.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 6:16pm
JP, I'd do it as a float/paddle, figure out the mileage, put in's an take out's. overnight it.
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 6:16pm
I've only done the paddle in legs.  Sunset to Big Eddy a few times, Big Eddy to Sultan a few times in a 16 ft canoe, Sultan to Monroe in a canoe a few times, and Monroe to Snohomish once.  I'd start at Snohomish and take a sea kayak probably, I'm not really into marathon trips.  When I'm canoeing or sea kayaking I like taking my time usually, but if I was with a grop that wanted to move on I would be OK with that also.

Jimmy
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 6:38pm
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
107881020687739672613.00047be8cdd24698add6e

I came up with about 53 miles from Sunset Falls to the marina in Everett.  The link above shows a map with the mileage.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:19pm
Cool-thanks for the responses, guys!
For now the loose plan would be to put in at the confluence near 522...

Originally posted by JoesKayak

OK. Why would you want to boat this?

Actually, it's kinda cool. Most "local" run possible for me, except maybe for lower Pilchuck River. Make sure to time the tides right. Past the first 2 miles down from 522, the river flows upstream when tides are coming in, except when the river flow is up high enough to counter-act it.

...and thanks for your input, Joe! I didn't realize the tides would influence the flow above the town of Snohomish, but as flat as it is, it shouldn't come as a surprise. Ironicly, when I asked Yoda about what flows to plan the trip around, he said "Hmph! Paddle it at High water should you, Hmmm?" So if you and yoda are roughly on the same page in this regard, I guess that's the flow to look for!

BTW- I've got the Pilchuck River in my sites, too if you are interested one of these days. I'll probably want at least a medium high flow.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
Courtney
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Courtney Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 4:20am
Originally posted by jP

I didn't realize the tides would influence the flow above the town of Snohomish, .

It never occurred to me either until I paddled it in our canoe once.  We were taking our time, stopping to goof off, fishing, drinking beer, etc.  Towards the end we were hungry, tired, and out beer when I was just sort of staring at the water along the banks while churning out the last few miles when I asked my buddy, "does it look like we are paddling upstream?"  Those last few miles sort of sucked.

Jimmy
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:56am
JP, I know a couple others who want Pilchuck. Let me know when you're thinkin' about doin' it.
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:48pm
The thing about Pilchuck river.. at least the upper 3/4 run is you either have to hike in on a heavily used ATV road... OR get someone with a good sized   quad to shuttle you and your boat in. The lower section has easier access but is class 2... similar to the lower Cedar. Still I'm game to run either sometime.
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:06pm
I would be interested in paddling this.  But I would only go if I could get my hands on a seakayak.  Then my pain threshold will be more tolerable.  Did you say sunny and dry?  That works....

Kirk
Kirk B
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 3:53pm
Snohomish Trip-Yeah, that's one thought- Maybe not sunny, but warmer and dry (not raining). For some reason I think 10k would be a good flow- the flatwater would be moving and it should counter the tidal effects (which we could still try to map out and accomodate to our advantage.). And yeah, a sea kayak or similar length boat would be mandatory. Ain't no way I'm waiting for chumps in creekboats and playboats. What would be the point?

The problem with 10k is resisting the urge to go up the Sky drainage and chase whitewater. Then again, this fall 10k was about the bottom end cusp of when the tribs were running. So maybe 9 or 8k would be good (the Foss and  the Rapid, for example won't be running, not at good flows anyway).

Pilchuck River Trip- In order to keep the logistics simple, let's say we rounded up a relatively small group. We figure out a way to hook up with some folks with quads to shuttle us-- Not sure how far up we need to go, but I'd be willing to pay somebody to ride me and  my boat up. Four rednecks with quads could shuttle 4 boats and boaters. I just don't know how many more times I can drive past the Pilchuck on the way to Robe without paddling it once.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:12am
Were getting close to the Big day JP... only a few more days to go. Would you like to share some of the conditioning strategies that you are using to prepare for this adventure, any tips that you plan to use to ensure success on such a voyage?
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 10:30am
Well....

How did it go?????

Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version