Professor Paddle: Whats the scoop. vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Whats the scoop. Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
PowWrangler
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PowWrangler Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by etive

I can personally point you to people leeching off the unemployment system and you can draw for a lot longer than 6 months.

That said, I'm sure nobody thats drawing now and upset by James statements is one of those people, so its too bad people are taking this personally.

My family soon will only my income now too because a whole company has just abandoned ship here in Washington so I also assure you that James is correct again.

We also have one of the highest minimum wages in the country, significantly higher than California, where the company is now moving to.  Washington state is getting downright hostile to smaller employers, it may suit us well to support our local vendors through it.  Ask a business owner about it.

We'll likely be getting unemployment now too...

Sorry to hear about your situation Travis.  Bummer that your employer jumped ship to save .55 cents an hour on wages. 

Minimum wage increases in WA state are tied to the CPI index.  I can see the upsides and downsides to that.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 3:10pm

so I am a silly sillly goose for saving some dough.

amazon.harms-  funny Jp :)

Edited by huckin harms - 22 Feb 2010 at 4:29pm
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 4:59pm
I got to say JP, I think you are way off the mark on this one.

Buy local or bye local is as equally a small minded concept as buying online exclusively to save a buck. I'll use Amazon as an example. When was the last time that anything bought on Amazon actually came from Amazon? Small brick and mortar stores all over have partnered with Amazon to increase their potential customer pools. If local businesses do not adapt to changing economic environments and markets they will die. The online world is filled with local shops that brought their business to the web. I get really tired of hearing small business owners and a handfull people who think they are somehow superior because they buy local or do not buy from chains bitch about the rest of us who choose to take our business elsewhere.

I buy online, and I buy local. If I can't get what I want locally, I'll buy it online. If I can get  it locally, but if the price is way off the mark or I feel I'll get better service from a online dealer I will still buy online. This weekend I drove an hour and a half to buy a paddle from Charles because 1) he had what I wanted, 2) his customer service cannot be beat, and 3) his price for what I wanted was competitive. I could have bought more locally from Yeagers or Western Canoe and Kayak but the customer service at Yeager's sucks, and the border wait with the Olympics plus the weak USD at the moment gave Aquasports the advantage over WC&K (a store I feel is equal to Aquasports in selection, price, and close with customer service). Online stores had similar prices, but could not meet my customer service needs in this case. When I bought a canoe a couple weeks ago I passed on a new 10 year old boat from WC&K for the same new boat online because it was almost $300 less.

I spend my money at the store that best suits my needs, not just the one that offers the best price, or happens to be close to me. If you don't agree with my choice that's fine, but I don't judge you for your spending habits, don't judge me for mine.

Kyle
I smell bacon
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:54pm
Oops maybe it wasn't clear, it was mommas employer that left.

Mine is still here, and goin strong!
H2O please
Wiggins
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote Wiggins Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:02am
While I was at Aquasports this weekend Charles told me that SRK has moved all of its stock into his shop to sell off. They no longer have the facility by the lake, or the old Swiftwater Sports building. While Charles did not specifically say they are out of business, he did say they no longer are doing retail sales.

Sorry for the on topic post!

Kyle
I smell bacon
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 7:50am
Nice wiggy!
Larry
Super Looper
Super Looper
Mr. Generosity

Quote Larry Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 4:04pm
Whoa, Wiggins, what's the hurry! Where's the fire!

You should of let it go a couple more pages of interesting, off topic, going who-knows-where conversation before actually answering the question.

Now I'll have to read Leifs' post for entertainment.
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 4:53pm

whatever. I'm not really being that judgemental. Not insulting anyone's mama. Just making the point that in this particular case you have a very small niche market. There is basicly only one store in this area to get gear. I value it, and I'm going to support it. Do what you want. But comparing it to Amazon or Wallmart and their macro business models to me doesn't make sense.

Apples and Oranges, and I want to buy organic. So I'm going to stick with the farmer I know and support him. Paying 10% sales tax on the rare occassion I need something from the paddle shop is no big deal. But to have a large portion of an already small market share siphoned off by someone somewhere else is a big deal to me. So I value having Charles and his shop here. Doesn't help me to have to wait for something to ship if I broke or lost the item and need it replaced ASAP. Butu that's just me. It's a free country (well, kinda. Good enough I guess).

On a similar note, I swang by NWOC today because I need a simple tube of aquaseal. They were closed. You can spin that all sorts of ways to support your argument, but so can I. Instead of typing it all out, why don't you run both spin directions through your imaginations. Suffice to say I went to REI and they apparently don't sell it anymore. They suck for paddlesports. Even once ubiquitous items such as Aquaseal. Good thing they sell so much crap to the genral public that doesn't even relate to outdoor activities!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:38pm
You can get Aquaseal at stores like ACE Hardware in the fishing gear section.  They use it to patch their waders. 

On a funny note, Amazon has stores located in WA state, so if you're in state you end up paying tax on the item anyways.... and shipping....same with buying from REI on-line. 
-Lanson
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 8:09am
Ya, when Amazon is charging tax and freight for in state purchases, I don't order from them. I will search elsewhere on the internet in that event.
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 8:15am
You folks know that there are some amazon employees on this site don't you ?
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 8:40am
Ya, I boat with one of them and he is a great guy! I support Amazon when I can...
Nomad
oukr9965
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote oukr9965 Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 9:55am
I was speaking neither in favor or against Amazon or any other forms of online shopping.  However, I will admit that the wording of my previous post could be misconstrued when I reviewed the previous post.  I was simply trying to inject a little humor and it didn't come off too well.  In all actuality, it's an example of how shopping on line can still support the local economy (jobs) with the possibility of getting something cheaper.  Amazon had or has offices locally for me, of which I know of a few people whom were or are employed by them.  Personally, I do most of my shopping in stores.   Since we don't have the luxury of local ww shops in the Tri-Cities, I order most of my stuff through the Kayak Shed, which supports a store and an on-line store. 
-Lanson
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2010 at 10:03am
What a wacky thread. From SRK, to Taxes and government, into Amazon then onto Aquaseal and REI then back to Local Shops and the Kayak Shed.

I am amazed how well this thread has stayed on topic while covering such diverse discussion.. If only we could post a trip and have it go this well.
jennhart1
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote jennhart1 Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 2:40pm
Hey guys! I picked up this thread thanks to Google Alerts and - after reading the last page of posts - I'm pretty sure I'm guaranteed to be off topic in one direction or another, but I did want to pass on a big thanks on behalf of our shop (Kayak Shed) to those of you making the effort to shop local. I'm sure the other PNW paddle shops would second that thanks. We definitely understand the convenience of online stores (which is why we have one ) and we have friends that work at Amazon too, but just know that it makes a huge difference to us when folks like you make the effort to shop local!

Thanks again & hope I wasn't TOO off topic.    
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:13pm
Not at all. And I will stress again that in this microcosmic sport we engage in, I think it matters that much more because the market share is so much smaller, and once paddlers by up all the gear they need, they don't CONSTANTLY need to buy more stuff, which means that local markets get saturated quickly, if I'm saying that right.

It is out of consideration of this that I will continue to shop local for my paddling gear. This means shopping at Charles shop when I need stuff, but I'll be down in 'The Hood'
too! I am, of course one of those 'dirtbag kaykers' who never buys stuff. I guess that's why I almost feel guilty about my limited buying power- such that when I do, I'm for the local small business(es).

Cheers!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JP the Elder
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JP the Elder Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:22pm
    Well said JP support yor local market so they are there when you need them.
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 4:59pm
Whoa, so here I visit PP for the first time in a while, to see what I in my new gig can do to support the wonderfully extravagant PP Ball... and I come across this thread.  Imagine my thoughts at this community's fascination with my old shop. Funny thing, with so many apparent disputing opinions across these threads I don't see much that I disagree with. Well I mean the on-topic stuff. 

So, yeah, small guys in this business have to adapt to the changing marketplace. Dave made some great points on this and so did Harms. Discounters, big box stores and online shopping are realities, and the only thing a small guy can do is to get creative and compete. Every survey I've ever done or seen about small shops says service is the best way to draw people to your shop. Look at Charles. All these flashes in the pan all around him, and who's the guy that's always there on time to open his shop, always answers the phone, always has an answer to your question and always has the informed opinion on the gear you need? Charles. Obviously he's earned the respect and loyalty of this community.

That said, yes, small shops benefit from customer loyalty. But isn't that the case with any shop in any business that gives you a reason to drive across town in traffic to continue to give them your business? It's just a fact, not an ethical issue. There's no reason to throw anyone a guilt trip about shopping on line or out of state just because the local store is there. If that happens, the local shop hasn't given enough reason to shop there. It's silly to support a shop just because it's there. It's smart to support a shop if you really want it to be around when you need it.

There is one valid guilt trip that nobody mentioned, and if you have a couple beers with virtually any paddle shop owner and ask their honest opinion, you'll get it. If you spend hours in a shop taking up the owner's time, and get free demos of product that the shop owner is offering for sale, and advice and instruction on how to use the product, this all has a value. If you've already decided before you go there, that  you're going to get all the info you can and then buy somewhere else (Craigs list, on line, etc), sorry folks, that is theft, plain and simple. Shop owners put their passion and usually most of their financial assets into giving you the opportunity to get on the water. If you jack them around, you may not be welcome back in their shop. 

On the other hand if you take all that info and help, give them an honest chance to sell you something, and then go somewhere else, that's different, and that's on the shop owner's head for not making the sale.

Slickhorn, I do remember all the advice you gave us when we wanted to stock the glue you needed. I also remember that after a couple years of having it sitting there on the shelf, you were the only guy who ever bought any of it. Like you said, this isn't exactly a make-or-break thing for the success of a shop.

OK now, what about that PP Ball?
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 5:08pm
Bill, good to hear from you.  The PP ball will be the weekend of May 22nd-23rd.  Dan Parnell is handling the bulk of the planning, including corporate involvement (Sponsorships, gear donations, etc.), and James is involved when it suits him. 

How would you like to help with the PP ball?

Speaking of your post, I certainly empathize with your comment about folks getting free demos.  You should publish a list of the worst offenders.  It would be amusing - and I wouldn't think you'd have much to loose given that you are now catering in a different market.  Share the dirt.  Share all the dirt...
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by JP the Elder

Well said JP support yor local market so they are there when you need them.

What the heck, I thought JP was "old man river" we cant have two "old man rivers" are you JP's Dad?
Nomad
Willy
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Willy Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:32am
Leif, I'm not ratting anyone out. I figured it was part of the landscape when you offer free demos.

About the ball, just looking to see what my suppliers might kick in gear-wise for support. Been talking to Dan already. Hope I can get to the party - bw
Ruby Creek Boathouse LLC
Eddyline, Stohlquist, Bending Branches, Esquif, Skwoosh Cushions, Costa Del Mar shades, Danuu, CRG Rec Repair, Pakboats, YakGrips
http://rubycreekboathouse.blogspot.com/
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:59am
Not sure if this has been said, but for me a big part of it is just loyalty. Next Adventure and Alder Creek in portland helped me out when I was a newbie paddler and didn't even know what gear I needed. Their people were great, their deals were good, their selection was good, and I'll always shop from them - they will always be "local" for me even though I haven't lived in Portland for 6 years. And even if the original sales guys aren't there anymore. The personal aspect definitely counts for me, more than just saving a buck buying from CKS. Although, I have been to the CKS shop in Buena Vista and it is a sick paddle shop - really really good. I just don't have the personal history with them.
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
BRoss
McNasty
McNasty

Quote BRoss Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:08am
I guess that directly ties in to what Willy said (after I actually read the thread).   
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."
JP the Elder
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote JP the Elder Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:08am
   Ask JP
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version