Professor Paddle: Port Angeles Boating vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Port Angeles Boating Post Reply Post New Topic
SeattleSoak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SeattleSoak Replybullet Topic: Port Angeles Boating
    Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:56pm
Any boaters from the PA area on here? Water levels on the Lyre?
Justin
six 5 one 335 one 784
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 12:37pm
The OP contingent is mysterious and silent. Deep in the dank evergreen expanses, 1's and 0's cannot seem to penetrate. Thick green moss dampens soundwaves and cellular signals alike. The contradictory aspects of the Oly P's young geology and its primordial nature preserve its remoteness. As if the penninsula was not even in the state of Washington, but rather another region unto itself. Perhaps from another time. There in lies part of the allure.

Yet another wave of paddlers is rediscovering it again.
My guess on the Lyre (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that we're in too much of a dry spell for it at the moment. It's gonna take a big rain storm to bring it in, and maybe it's better to wait for spring runoff. Lots of the stuff on that flank of the Olympics is MELT driven. It's in the rainshadow and often recieves the least amount of rain compared to the other three sides of the Oly P. But then again, I'm just starting to get the OP figured out.

For what it's worth, the Lyre is on my list (somewhere-my list is pretty damn long). I suspect it's one of those "pain and suffering" style trips though. As beautiful as the penninsula is, most of its runs are quite log choked, and the geology is so fresh that it tends to have a very course, roughly hewn character. Nature needs to work on the whole Penninsula for a few more thousands years and figure out what to do with all the rock that tumbles in. But here we are now, and fresh rock will continue to tumble in anyway for a few more thousand years. It's a great place to explore and to be.

If anyone else has run it, we'd love to hear your thoughts. I know one guy: Bill? what do you know about the Lyre? Similarly, some info on the river's page for the Lyre would be awesome. Or a T.R.-------? Anyone?
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
SeattleSoak
Viener Schnitzel
Viener Schnitzel

Quote SeattleSoak Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:21pm
Trip Report: Lyre river

After spending the day fishing with the author of the OP whitewater book and picking his brain about the Lyre river, I decided to solo it on Thursday. The beta I got made me comfortable with taking it on solo.

I used the river left road, which is gated and locked,  and started hiking my boat. The road starts out with a pretty mellow incline in the first mile or so, then it starts going up fairly steep. After another half mile, I came to a fork in the road and had to make a choice where to go. The main road, which I was on, veared off to the right away from the river, and a less traveled spur road vered off to the left. I took this less traveled road end and it brought me to a large opening where the power lines are coming through. There was T in the road and I took a left and hiked towards the river. I came upon the Lyre River ATV trail which I found out goes right along the river left side of the river. It was pretty sweet access to the river and you can see a couple rapids.

I didn't know exactly where to put on and I ended up putting on just above the main canyon section of the run near three giant spruce. (I put on one rapid above the big waterfall coming into the the lyre from a small side creek) And below the sieve rock garden rapid which was described to me. I guess the entire river goes under boulders and you hike over them. I never saw that and I'm glad I didn't hike any further upstream than I was because all hell broke loose pretty much immediately.

The first two rapids I ran were the only rapids I was able to run cleanly in the entire canyon which took me two hours to go a quarter mile. It was a wood nightmare. On the bottom of the river, in the river, down on the river, parallel with the river, all huge trees too. There were major Log jams in all the major rapids and some really really sketchy portaging. The water look low in the campground but was stomping in that canyon with some nasty holes and the river is about 15-30 feet wide.  Some day I will write about the hell I went through in that canyon, but right now I don't even want to think about it.

I would not reccommend that run to no one.
Justin
six 5 one 335 one 784
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:51pm
Man, I am laughing with you, lol. I would love to hear the full trip report, but best to bury the brutal memories for another day.

Jon Shell Bee
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:11pm
Welcome to the OP.  The boating is fantastic isn't it.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:07am
I wonder if one day, in a river like this, if the wood will just keep piling up until there isn't a river to be seen...
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:30am
Nice man. Sounds epic!
Kris- did you rally for Elkhorn?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 10:42am
I rallied Ohane instead.  Elkhorn is too far a walk to get low levels for your efforts.
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 11:43am
I'm hopin, this weekend...
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 5:14pm
"The Road Less Travellled" eh? That would be a great trip report title, my friend.
Seattle Soak: Can you do us all a huge favor?

1.) Take your forum post and copy it.
2.) Go to the rivers page and click on the Lyre
3.) The Lyre Description page will pop up. In the lower right hand corner you'll see a "create trip report button". Click it, then paste your T.R. into the form. It'll take you five minutes and it will add to the database. This will benifit anyone who really wants to explore the OP but doesn't want to get skunked (too bad, anyway- that's the nature of the beast w/ the OP).

Don't forget to include the details that will make your T.R. usefull to others, including any beta on the flow you had- there's likely no gauge for that run, so any rough visual approximates you have are vital.

If you want to revise it further, you can always go back and edit it -adding details, ect. That way there is some account of this obscure trip you did. (right now the Lyre Page is completely blank).

When people post TR's in the forum, it's helpfull because everyone sees it right away, but the problem is that after a few days it will just get lost in the graveyards of yesterdays threads, never to be seen again. A big part of what we should be doing as a "community" on this site is fortifying a database of beta for paddlers.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 1:20pm
Sweet, Justin. Thanks for posting a TR!

good 'ol OP!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 7:14pm
Nice TR for sure Justin.. Thanks for sharing. (Just fyi you should read the full account in his TR)
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version