Professor Paddle: Robe Race 2010 vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Robe Race 2010 - Event Date: 25 Apr 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 7:44pm
Sweet! I look forward to seeing ya queue up in the Starter's eddy!

Ya know what was the coolest thing about that race for me? Robe is powerful enough at 5.8' that the whole endurance thing was really an issue. probably my weakest quality that day.

But it's a race. So just to be competitive at all and not take home the Gnome, obviously you're going to get your heart rate up. Now, racing down the 9 min or less E. Frk Lewis course is one thing- by the time you hit the wall within you are done. But to get your heart rate up for 30 some minutes-- now you are pushing yourself into a transformative state that your average paddler (myslef included) rarely-if ever- experiences.
   And that's a shame. Because paddling with an elevated heart rate for that duration is mind altering. If you ramp it up properly you can ease into a state where your already athletic paddling body is at a heightened state. Your mind tags along for the ride and is capable of making much quicker decisions. Your perception is fine tuned to the point where your timing can really get precise. It is indescribabble and truly amazing,opening up new doorways to possibility.

Honestly though, without the cumulative hours of paddling flatwater at a race-like pace, I would never be able to tap into that. Without all of those days on Robe where Fish and I raced the flat to the T.O., I would have taken home the gnome even if I didn't swim. More likely I would have gotten my ass kicked by a gnome and swam. (That could randomly happen anyway. Afterall- it happened to a few seasoned Robe Runners who know the run well, are in good shape, and are EXCELLENT paddlers. It could've happened to any of us that day.)

So I will continue to preach the power of the Flat. When you strip away the whitewater (externalities), you are freed up to focus on the internal- the way your blade slides in for the catch, what your knees, toes, hips, ect. are doing to help control your craft. Your back, neck, abdominals, ect--because 90% of all paddlers-even really good ones-only paddle with their arms. It is proven that this is inadequate technique. It is true though that some racers can compensate and still win, but imagine how good they would do if they learned proper technique and continued to refine it?

My forward stroke is far from perfect, and I am no champion. But hopefully my stroke will continue to incrementally improve till the day I die. Cremate me and send my ashes into the Clarksfork of the Yellowstone's Box when that day comes!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version