Professor Paddle: Ashlu Releases vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Ashlu Releases Post Reply Post New Topic
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Topic: Ashlu Releases
    Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:09pm
I'm heading up there this weekend to take advantage of the releases.  Such a classic run!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 1:44pm
Box canyon is scary...
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:44pm
Hey Fish, what are levels gonna be like? Never been in there...
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
STLboater
PP Junkie
PP Junkie

Quote STLboater Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 2:47pm
I"m under the impression if you are the first group to make a request at the dam, that is the flow they release all day (with in reason)
Kayak Academy Whitewater Instructor
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:10pm
First, based on the rules provided by the BC transport ministry, it is an average of all requests.

Second, I had a conversation with Fish over SMS which warrants some clarification online.  The Ashlu dam has a pool that is about 20' high (behind the inflatable spillway).  It is a run of river project; there is no storage.

The recreational flows does not mean they will release the requested flow, but will stop diverting water to allow the flow in the dewatered section to approximate the requested flow.  If there isn't enough inflow to meet the requested flow, the flow in the dewatered section will equal the inflow.

I bring this up because freezing levels have been in the 3k-4k feet range (take a look at the pesw1 forecast...).  The Elaho is running at 60CMS and dropping, which, as I understand it, is minimum flows for box canyon (according to TRL).

Just like Icicle/Wenatchee may hit record low flows this weekend, I would wonder if the Elaho/Squamish/Ashlu drainage may have the same issue.

The good news is that super steep crazy V+ "last mile" section below box will likely be in.

RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 3:31pm
Looks like a bunch of death sieves to me...but, yes, beautiful.

TRL says 30-50 cms in Elaho for the section to be runnable...
KBfree
Splat Wheeler
Splat Wheeler

Quote KBfree Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 9:05pm
Great vid on oregon kayaking dot net by Barney Bonito and Craig Ernst...

If the link doesn't show up its under the "creek"  link on the left side

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/riverframe.html
Kirk B
stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by leifkirchoff

The recreational flows does not mean they will release the requested flow, but will stop diverting water to allow the flow in the dewatered section to approximate the requested flow.  If there isn't enough inflow to meet the requested flow, the flow in the dewatered section will equal the inflow.

This is exactly the case.  If they can't release the requested flow they let out what's available.

The opposite can happen as well.  For example if there is 70 cms in the river, they can only divert 30 cms so even if the requested flow is 20 cms they could only lower it down to 40 cms.

There will be a sign at the powerhouse the morning of the releases stating the requested flow along with the actual flow going down the diversion, but you won't know before you go.

The problem would be solved if they make the streamflow above the diversion public.

Also, there's a window where the box is too low and the bottom mile is too high.  If you can run the box you'll be fine on the bottom mile.  It's good, but not as good.
RemAcct2
Limited Access
Limited Access

Quote RemAcct2 Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:02pm
Is Box still runnable at 50 cms on the Elaho?
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:33pm
I am sure you understand the coorelation for these leif, but it is not a bomb proof comparision. Water can be flowing down one valley and not the other. However yes. I have run the Box when the Elaho was over 50 and the next day hit the Elaho on its way up past 70. I am sure there are folks that go much higher too.
stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:36pm
I'm not sure how tight the Elaho correlates to the Ashlu, at least in the shoulder seasons.

Last spring (late April) we ran the Box at medium-low level at about 60 cms and came back 2 weeks later with the Elaho at about 120 and it was too high.

In August 2009 150 on the Elaho gave us a medium level.  In early September 100 cms and it was too low for box, too high for bottom mile.  And just this March we ran the Box (after rain) when the dam was broken and the Elaho was at rock bottom at 20 or 30 cms.

As you can see, that's quite a scatter.  I'd say it correlates best when the rivers are running off pure glacier melt.

Going from what went on last year, I'd say it's worth it - that being said there's a lot less low elevation snow this year, and I live much closer than you do.  Skunkage is a possibility with this cool weather.
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Fish Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:21am
Just got this email...

Dear Kayaker,

You recently made a reservation on the Ashlu Creek’s Online Kayak Flow Release Booking System.  The booking system has now closed and the flow release has been calculated as the average of all the requested releases as follows:

Date:                           May 8, 2010            

Requested flow release: 22.8 m³/sec

Flow release will commence at 9:00am and cease at 6:00pm.  Please note that the flow release is subject to available natural flows in the creek.  Currently available flows are:

Date/Time:                      May 7, 2010, 9:00am

Flow:                           13.1 m³/sec

stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:43am
I spoke with the dam operators after getting the same email - they say 13 cms equates to 0.30 m on the bridge gauge.  

We don't know how accurate this information is - but if I were to bet I'd say it's pretty good info.  Lets hope the sun brings the water up so they can let out the full 23 cms that was requested.
stefano
Rock Bumper
Rock Bumper

Quote stefano Replybullet Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:41pm
Today (Saturday) - the first day of release on the Ashu - went smootly.

While they couldn't meet the requested flow there was still enough water to paddle the Box at a low but still quite good level of 0.5 on the bridge.

If it stays sunny this week there should be no issue in meeting the requested flows for next weekend.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version