Professor Paddle: FITW Today vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: FITW Today Post Reply Post New Topic
Fish
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fish Replybullet Topic: FITW Today
    Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:12pm
Headed up for after work laps with Nick and others today if anyone else is interested.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:19pm
I am in for either Tuesday evening laps or Thursday evening laps, or both. Not sure yet should know by tomorrow morning.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 3:59pm
Fish - It would be awesome to hear the levels when you get done... purdy pleeze
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:12pm
Well, I think I can step in and fulfill your request. And BTW James- Thursday I may be down. Tuesday is out for me.

Ok- here we go:

When I arrived at the Put In today I sent Nick a Text: Road Is Clear

After contemplating the Falls and the Cup Rock, I scouted the length of the run and saw how high it was: Blownout "Larry's Limbo Ledge" (or what ever we'll call this new rapid) was filled in nicely. The Fearsome Foursome ran together as one cascade, with the Typewriter Wave asserting its presence like a bouncer at the club. The holes below it converged in a chaotic way. And Fisherman's was lookin HUNGRY.

I sent Fish the text: Upper put in good 2 go @ this flo!
Then this one: (this is one stout flo!) cup is covered, makin a tiny, frothy wave

Fish responded: Perfect!

Nick, Fish and I put on, and it was a joy to use the traditional seal launch. The Blownout Larry's made for a great boof with all of this water. In fact, this may have been the highest I've run it and it was sweet to have it filled in. It was big, but it flowed good. Fisherman's was stout but seemed to go good.

Nick was smart to quit while he was ahead after the first lap.
Another fast and furious run down the Fat Fitwah...
As I followed Fish into Fisherman's, I seemed to be right on line, but the boils surged and set me just a little too far left. The timing of my boof stroke was dampened by a slowwater surge and I instantly knew I was in for a ride. I plugged just past the hole and was instantly stuck. When I was upside down there were a few seconds of hesitation, but I accepted the inevitable and pulled the skirt. A few cycles later, I was the  fish, and Scott was the Fisherman.

After my second time resurfacing, Fish was extending his bow. At the critical moment I swam toward it with a burst of energy and met him halfway. As he backpaddled us out (I was almost pulling him into the hole) I began kicking my feet as hard as I could to assist him. once I was wading in the eddy on the rock, we worked together to recover my boat. Fish got my paddle with his and I grabbed it quickly. Not long after my boat miraculously found a way toward the eddy, and Fish encouraged it. I was breathing hard, but based on the outcome, I was stoked.

Some people think of Fish as cavilier. He is. That's one of the reasons I like to paddle with him. becasue when it all went down, I was confident he'd act deciscively, instead of being all wishy washy like some paddlers. Time was of the essence, and by acting quickly he alowed me to expend the least amount of energy getting out of the hole, leaving me more energy to help in recovering my gear.

Way to go Fish!!

Anyway, rescues succesfully executed are good experiences for the next one. Rescue is the ULTIMATE FREESYLE!!!  But when the cup is underwater, that's the ulitmate FITWah!!
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:15pm
Drinking my FITWah Booty Beer at the Ball. Hopefully it'll be the only one.
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:57pm
High Res picture won't post properly but it was brought...  Check out the photo and think about the fearsome with seriously moving pools,  errr one big long sweet rapid.  Fish says maybe 800 cfs estimated flow when we were on the creek.

Great fun but be weary of # 2. 

This pic is from the bottom of #3/ cusp of #4.  Sweet angle to show the vert...  Check out the gallery and click on the icon I guess.  Sorry about that

Edited by James - 18 May 2010 at 7:01am
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by jP

Some people think of Fish as cavilier. He is. That's one of the reasons
I like to paddle with him. becasue when it all went down, I was
confident he'd act deciscively, instead of being all wishy washy like
some paddlers. Time was of the essence, and by acting quickly he
alowed me to expend the least amount of energy getting out of the hole,
leaving me more energy to help in recovering my gear.

]

I would not say Fish is Cavalier, he is confident! With good reason. He is a solid paddler with the support skills to put other at ease that he has your back.

Glad it all worked out for you JP. Sounds like an interesting ride!
Sure?
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 8:46am
Yeah, anymore so long as I don't get banged up and I manage to recover all my gear, swimming becomes a bonus.

When we swim it isn't "game over", it's "game on"...

Rescue Freestyle
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:17am
Watched Scott execute a zero-hesitation, textbook bow-rescue at Fisherman's on my first or second run down FITW (made much more pleasant by following him down the run and the perfect verbal beta before the run). Dude is solid.
-Jay
JayB
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote JayB Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:18am
Originally posted by explwhore

High Res picture won't post properly but it was brought...  Check out the photo and think about the fearsome with seriously moving pools,  errr one big long sweet rapid.  Fish says maybe 800 cfs estimated flow when we were on the creek.

Great fun but be weary of # 2. 

This pic is from the bottom of #3/ cusp of #4.  Sweet angle to show the vert...  Check out the gallery and click on the icon I guess.  Sorry about that

Stout. Yipes.
-Jay
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version