Professor Paddle: Awesome article about progressing as a paddler... vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Awesome article about progressing as a paddler... Post Reply Post New Topic
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jP Replybullet Topic: Awesome article about progressing as a paddler...
    Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 12:38pm
I was poking around on boater talk and discovered this article on "Stepping Up". Not sure when it was written but it's quite valid...

Since there is always a new crop of boaters every season, and since many of us desire a constant path of progression, Everyone of us should read this entire article.

I know I espouse my opinion quite a bit around here, but it is out of a sincere desire to share what I've learned. This article expresses much of what I feel strongly about, and is articulated well. I can vouch for the author as well, having paddled with him on several occasions.

Read it, and then maybe we can talk about some of the stuff he mentions in it, if you're game...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:32pm
Thanks JP.

Good article.  I like the mentoring suggestion.  I wouldn't have stayed with it without someone sacrificing their time to get me competent and have tried to pay it forward.  If we really want our sport to remain vibrant and supported we all need to mentor newer boaters.  To be a little selfish, it also ensures you have a crew to pull partners from.

I might add instruction to the list of things the article references.  After 4 years of boating, I finally got some organized instruction last year and I felt it helped a lot.  While not everyone wants to spend a full week at Otter Bar, you can also gain great experience even on a one day lesson.  I also did a one day'er this April at Wet Planet with Andy Round and found the lesson invaluable.  For the amount of money I spend on gear and gas, throwing a relatively paltry sum on a day of instruction that maximizes your enjoyment on the river is money well well spent.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
JoesKayak
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote JoesKayak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by jP

Everyone of us should read this entire article.

I skipped the last sentence just to be defiant.

Great article though. Nice find JP.
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:59pm
I agree, I don't think that validity is something that changes much with time that is if it is truly good information to begin with. Perhaps Application might change, but as with most of the information you will find on that website it is certainly factual solid information.

The only thing that seems to have changed over the years are the links in the Links area. All but Cascade Classics and Rackley's site are dead... So perhaps Time can de-value domains... lol
TastyWaves
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote TastyWaves Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
Nice article, its interesting to me because there is a similar debate going on in the surfing world, everybody and their brother wants to start out on the shortest most radical board because its what the pros are doing.. only to find out that after 4 years of surfing they still can't do a basic bottom turn, and are completely lost in bigger, more powerful waves.

I personally learned to paddle on huge Perception and Dagger boats, most notably a bright purple Pirouette S that was probably more suitable for someone 3 times my weight.. So although I've got several years of paddling under my belt, the kids at UPS pool sessions totally school me in terms of playboating, Compared to their loops and cartwheels, I think my staple playboating move seems to be "carve left"..

Anyway, I think the author hit the nail on the head when he says that it all depends on what you are looking to boat and what your motives are. There's definitely a tradeoff between safety and confidence, at somepoint it becomes mental, and there is a "go for it" mentality that helps you through something you thought was above your level. Every time you do that you build your confidence more and start to look for other ways to challenge yourself.

I remember the biggest thing for me being Bull Sluice, the first rapid on Section IV of the Chattooga river in South Carolina, I said I would never run it but sure enough the first time I did it went perfectly and I had a new mindset about what I could do in a Kayak.

I'm rambling, but this subject touches close to home as I've had to deal with the same issue for the last 10 years first as a student and then as a teacher of surfing..  

tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 4:29pm
Word.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 8:19pm
I liked the ideas of "playing around" and paddling on your "off day". There is definitely something to be said about making those class III rapids into IV's and Class IV rapids into V's, trying to get the most out of those familiar runs, and easy runs you paddle with friends of lower skill. Knowing how you paddle on an off day is also interesting, I know how I paddle on an off day and I don't like it, I just wish I had a meter for that sort of thing.
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:19pm
cool, glad you guys appreciate it- even you Joe- you defiant bastard!

Yeah- "Playing a rapid or a run up a level" is important. You need to find ways to simulate more hazardous environs without actually being in them.

And yeah, those pool jockeys at UPS have some specialized playboating skills (they can bow stall and cartwheel), but honestly, this is where I differ in opinion form our esteemed author:
I do agree with the basic sentiment that hwta you want to do dictates what skills you'll need to cultivate. But I view the sport of paddling and the skills it requires as existing on more of a TREE. The roots of which all must start with a forward stroke, followed by the roll, and then more articulate strokes, draws, ect up the trunk before branching out into boofs, cartwheels, bow stalls, screw ups, mystery moves-whatever.

A kayak is a vehicle or a tool first and foremost, and a toy second. Whitewater kayaking occurs almost entirely on whitewater rivers. I simply have no respect for anyone who can't catch eddies, make reasonable ferries, or read n run basic whitewater, no matter how well they can "throw down" in a pool. Of course that statement doesn't apply to beginners who are in the process of learning those skills. We all had to start somewhere. Rather my statement is meant to indicate that I personally feel as though a whole generation of paddlers is drawing the cartwheel before the horse power. It all should start with an ability to paddle forward properly. It branches out from there.

anyway, just trying to generate some discussion and stimulate thought on these here forums...
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
dblanchard
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote dblanchard Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 4:05pm
cartwheel before the horse power

Sweet.
GHannam
Tricky Woo
Tricky Woo

Quote GHannam Replybullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 12:19am
Awesome article. It was articulately written, and has great points for all boaters- new and experienced.
As a new boater (and with my limited experience), I would agree with all the major points made in the article. Especially making 'easy' rapids more difficult; considering the reasons for going to the next level; evaluating where you're at mentally and what your 'off days' are like; utilizing the knowledge of your mentor; and stepping up to the plate to be a mentor when someone else may benefit from your knowledge and experiences... We all start somewhere, and we all have something to learn no matter how good or new we are.

Thanks jP for sharing.
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version