Professor Paddle: Callaghan Creek Festival and Race - July vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Events
 Professor Paddle : General : Events
Message Icon Event: Callaghan Creek Festival and Race - July - Event Date: 24 Jul 2010 Post Reply Post New Topic
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leland Replybullet Calendar Event: Callaghan Creek Festival and Race - July
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:29am
Come join us for this celebration and race to help raise awareness of the plight of BC's incredible rivers!

http://www.brushymountainpublishing.com/rivergypsies/callaghanfest/

Mark your calendars - we hope to see all of you there!!

Leland

Edited by James - 08 Jun 2010 at 8:41am
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:31am
Here's a working link:

Callaghan Creek Festival
Jed Hawkes
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos

Quote Jed Hawkes Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:03am
Sounds like it will be a cool event. I read the potential criteria for the creek race and I figured I'd put in my two cents (even though I won't be able to attend). I liked the team of two endurance contest format, I feel that it sticks to the spirit of creeking. Paddling down stream with a buddy, leap frogging down the river and looking over your shoulder to make sure they're having clean lines, also the added element of safety (Robe race this year there were several swimmers and they use the team style).

Again I think it's a super cool idea to have a race/fest up there and wish that I could attend, but my raft guiding will be getting in the way of that. I hope it goes really well.

-Jed
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:10am
That sounds like a good time!!!
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:30am
"'all profits from admission fees and donations to the festival will go to organizations fighting hard to save BC's creeks from run of river hydro development.'"

An event worth attending!

Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 1:16pm
hopefully we can get tons of people out to show our support for this cause!
fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:00am
Hey Leland,
Thanks a lot for organizing this festival.
At first I was a little bothered by the fees, but it's important to remember how vital it is we work to protect the Calaghan. It is almost unimaginable to me that they would divert water out of this whitewater treasure. Unfortunately, the hydro interests in BC remind me of the humans in Avatar: they're motivated by profit alone. Diverting Calaghan Creek would be like building a strip mine on Blackcombe. Hopefully, the people of Whistler can be convinced that this creek is worth protecting.

As far as the race, I say the longer the better. Personally, I prefer not having the partner format but agree that it makes the race safer, especially if the whole run is raced.
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:06am
yeah, please remember that all of the money raised goes to save the creeks. We are considering eliminating the fee for the race.

We are also leaning toward the longer race format. The possibility of the shorter race was to make the event more appealing to prospective sponsors who could bring the money we needed to have the bands, which looks like we won't be able to do at this point. We will have a sound system instead, and maybe build the event bigger next year when we have more notice.

We still hope lots of people will come out for the festival and race so that we can help build momentum to grow the event with longer planning next year, and hopefully create an event big enough that diverting the creek will get lots of local opposition on top of the opposition from paddlers.

Once again, please come out and support our cause of saving Callaghan Creek!!

Leland
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by fiddleyak

this whitewater treasure

Originally posted by Some BC Local

I'm so sick of hearing this!

hahaha, I had too!!! But for sure great run and cause!!! Looking forward to getting up there!!
up4air
McNasty
McNasty

Quote up4air Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:59pm
Leland, have you gotten the Vancouver kayak club involved?
More water, please.
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 8:26pm
This looks great. 
Jon Shell Bee
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 11:58am
Originally posted by up4air

Leland, have you gotten the Vancouver kayak club involved?

Yes, they are supporting the event, as well as some others from the BC paddling community. BC Creeks Protection Society is helping out. We've had a strong response from Canadian gear manufacturers and retailers - several will have booths and demos at the fest, and many of whom are donating goods to a raffle or auction (still deciding that) to raise more money.

We're also working hard to put together organized paddles on various sections of river around there on that weekend, including Callaghan.

What we need most is for a lot of people to turn out for the event, so we're hoping a lot of Washington folks will make the road trip up for this fun weekend!!

Leland
Leland
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote Leland Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 1:35pm
Update on Callaghan Fest:

This summer, we have been having some van troubles and unfortunately, it has all come unravelled the week before the fest! We have a major problem with our van and that has forced us to have to take it home immediately. So, since we cannot be there, we want to help out however we can by answering any questions here.

When you get to the Cal Cheak Rec area, the fest is in the 1st area that you come to. Please pay the campground host for your campsite--that fee is unrelated to the festival.

Instead of an entry fee to the fest, we will have someone come around and collect donations that will go to the BC Creeks Protection Society and AW, so they can keep up their work on saving Callaghan Creek!

For folks who want to see or enter the race, there will race organizers there between 10 and noon to steer you in the right direction.

Remember that this is an event to make some noise about how much we love Callaghan Creek. The most important thing you can do is go there, paddle, hang out and have good vibes. We hope everyone has a great time and clean lines. We are super bummed to not get to hang out with our friends and paddle our favorite creek this year, but we hope to see you all next year! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems or questions.

Andria and Leland

justin
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote justin Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:18pm
Do you know what the level is right now?
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 5:15pm
Hey Leland, great seeing you guys on the Cooper. Thanks for supporting the Ball this year!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
tiziak
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote tiziak Replybullet Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 5:16pm
Levels are big!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version