Professor Paddle: Float Bags - Important Safety Equipment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Float Bags - Important Safety Equipment Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Topic: Float Bags - Important Safety Equipment
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:30am

I've been thinking about this a bit lately. I’m not sure if this is an oversight on my part, but it seems like a lot of people don’t have or are not using float bags (context = creeking or class 4/5 or swift class 3 ie; peshastin & tieton). Basically it is probably the most neglected piece of rescue/safety equipment. It is more of a proactive way to prevent some real hassles. I don’t know why they are unused, maybe because of the cost, maybe because it’s a pain to fill them up.

Does someone want to put up a poll on creekers or class 4/5 boaters using float bags and those who are not? It might be a good way to figure out if this is even a topic.

Pros:

-Prevents boat damage after swim

-Easier to find boat after swim

-Easier for others to get boat to bank after swim

-Makes self-rescue easier or even possible

-Helps prevents boat from pinning

-Adds structural integrity to boat in event of a pin

-If you get your boat back, you don’t have to hike out

Cons:

-Cost

-Takes time to fill up

-Takes up room for throw bag, etc

-Pop easily, wear out

Basically a $20-50 investment can save your boat, boat damage, a hike out, and your buddies a hassle chasing your boat. I’m not to inclined to chase a boat without float bags on a creek, let alone ever clip into one. It can become a danger to the chaser, ultimately judgment dictates the situation.  If the fellow kayaker is unwilling to spend a few bucks on float bags, I’m less likely to risk much to save their boat.

Lets be safe out there.

Darren

IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
dragorossinw
WW Industry
WW Industry

Quote dragorossinw Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:40am
I am in full agreeance Darren.  So I will offer up the best float bag deal your gonna find.  At the Wenatchee Fest this weekend ONLY get a set (2) of creek boat / stern bags for $18 or a set (2) of playboat / bow bags for $15!  Stop by the Nookie / DragoRossi Booth to get yours.
Tony Z
dragorossinorthwest@yahoo.com
www.nookiekayaking.us
www.dragorossi.com
www.donkeyfIip.com
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:42am
On Sunday i had to chase a kayak down that did not have properly inflated boat bags.  Its hard enough to get a kayak to shore with cat boat.  When that thing is filled with water its damn near impossible.  Never ever clip onto a run away boat that has no float bags....
MORE RAIN PLEASE
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:28am
That's a killer deal, Tony!! I use floaties.
SOPBOATER
McNasty
McNasty

Quote SOPBOATER Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 2:14pm
It sucks to chase and try to coral a boat without them.  Most nightmare situation I had was chasing an overflow x with no float bags and missing two attatchment points on Peshastin creek.  In ended up chasing it off of Ingalls all the way below fresh squeezed, truthfully I almost gave up and thought it would be a lesson for the owner but finally I beached it in the flats below the bridge below the Squeeze.
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
Tobin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote Tobin Replybullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 2:40pm
Word of advise if you ever paddle with someone who has a Mega Rocker.........MAKE SURE THE A$# H*^E HAS FLOAT BAGS IN THE BOAT!
I will with hold the identity of the person because he has learned his lesson and has poured copious amounts of alcohol down my through in the years since
Sure?
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 8:02am

Great point raised in this thread here... thanks Darren for the attention to an oft overlooked safety element.

If you value your plastic and hope to hang on to it when swimming - PUT FLOAT BAGS IN YOUR BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 8:29am
I hate float bags... sometimes after a heavy night I get dizzy inflating them.... And did I mention that every set I have ever had seem to loose air in a matter of hours unless they are brand new...

But of course everyone is right float bags are pretty important and if they were super duper they would probably cost as much as a set of FUTAs which by the way are simply BOMB
pottert
Super Looper
Super Looper

Quote pottert Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:00am
I put a beach ball in each side of the stern on my Jackson Super Star and blew those babies up. They float great, hold air, and only cost 89 cents each. Even had some change to get a couple spares, they're where its at!
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:22am
Potter - that is brilliant, not to mention that at a take out or even mid river stop you could bust out the beach ball and play some games!!! I love it!!!
dave
Master Poster
Master Poster
D4

Quote dave Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:52am
I have had 0 problems with float bags. They hold air and the ones I have had lasted for years now. Always a standard saftey Item. Rescue a boat without them and you will see how valuable they are.

If yours dont hold air or you always have problems with them, then....the problem lies with you and not the bags.,..
Nomad
IP IP Logged Send Private Message
James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by dave

If yours dont hold air or you always have problems with them, then....the problem lies with you and not the bags.,..

Impeccable response Dave, good to see you staying true to your form.

fiddleyak
McNasty
McNasty

Quote fiddleyak Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 10:23am
Totally relevant topic Darin, I'm sure we are all guilty of not using float bags sometimes but they should be considered a standard piece of gear while kayaking, particularly on the higher volume creeks and rivers that you tend to find in this area. I put two of the small playboating bags in front of my bulkhead, hoping this might reduce the nose caving in when the boat is full of water.

My main issue with float bags is they don't seem to fit modern creekers very well. I use the bags DRINW sells, which I think are pretty good for the price, but I wish a manufacturer would design bags that actually fill the majority of dead space in the back of my creekboat.

While we're talking about creeking safety gear I think that a spare paddle and pin kit should also be considered standard gear that you take with you on every run. I've convinced myself that the extra weight gets me through holes better and makes my boat easier to turn.
Scott_H
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Scott_H Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 10:58am

I had a chance to put my bigger boat in a pool this summer and fiddled with bags...one thing that I was surprised about was how much even a little bit of flotation in the nose helps. 

I was able to get back into the swamped boat upside down, roll it up and paddle - but not at all without some flotation in the nose.
“The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”
Ryan
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Ryan Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 4:31pm
I bought 2 of Tony's bags and they are bomber.  I had them for over 1 year.  Pernick's got my boat now... ask him if they're still holding up.  (I assume they are) 

Great product Tony!
Texas Dave
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Texas Dave Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 5:03pm
My first set of NRS Float bags sucked.  They were some sort of coated nylon material and they would deflate within minutes.  So I understand James's frustration.  there are some terrible float bags out there.

When I bought another boat, I wasn't going to buy NRS bags again but I saw they changed them to some kind of urethane material and had a money back guarentee if you didn't like them so I decided to try them.  They are great.  I bought a 2nd set to replace the originals that I hated.  I never have to reinflate them unless I deflate them intentionally.  I've gone months with out putting a breath in them. 
Dave
franzhorner
PP Junkie
PP Junkie
outdoors music woodwork

Quote franzhorner Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 5:21pm
Have you guys considered having someone like Jim Sheflo make you some serious raft like custom float bags? Jim could probably glue you up something. Think about how bomber a Stiletto thwart is! It may be heavy though. Could a semi inflated thwart work? Highside even makes thwarts that are also dry bags!
MORE RAIN PLEASE
iron monkey
Paddler
Paddler

Quote iron monkey Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 5:51pm

me and the rest of the cool kids are 2 cool for float bags.  & since i usually paddle solo, i dont care how hard it is for you to chase my boat down

huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 7:04pm
How to bust the float bag:   keep the valve screwed up tight when you leave Leavenworth on a sunny and seventies afternoon and take it up to Steven's Pass full of hot air.   :) 
WA-Boater
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote WA-Boater Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 8:00am
A cheap solution and a bomber material is the Crystal Springs one gallon water jug. You can get them for a buck, drink the water, then use them for floaties.
Ben's point is well taken. If you don't have bags in the bow, you can count on some bow damage for sure. A boat with 4 bags (2 bow, 2 stern) is a breeze to get to shore.

James
Admin
Admin
Sum Dum Guy

Quote James Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:34am
I don't know about the custom bags franz. The material and methods would end up creating a pretty heavy float bag. Dave your right, I have those nylon NRS ones with a plastic interior lining and they just suck. I bought them a few years back and even a month or two after I got them they started leaking. I just figured I would keep blowing them up before boating until they don't hold air through the whole run. I am right about at that point.
huckin harms
Master Poster
Master Poster

Quote huckin harms Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:51am
yeah, the old NRS bags are pretty lame.  They do make some newer version, as previously alluded to, and they hold up much better to the abuse.... 
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 2:38pm
Fiona my inflatable girlfriend goes in my left stern, just in case I end up finding some privacy on the river.  It is uncomfortable for everyone when a leg or arm pops out from behind my backband but most don't mention it.  Oh yeah, that watershed Futa carried a first aid kit, space blanket, and spare paddle real well.  Old Fiona and my pin kit and throw bag balance out the equations.

Nothing like having a shuttle bunny that doesn't talk back....
jP
Rio Banditos
Rio Banditos
Diddle Fuerte Diablo !

Quote jP Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 5:59pm
Yeah, but can Fiona toss a throw bag to you and rope your soggy carcass out of the creek?

My Eskimo float bags are custom fit to fill up all the space in my stern, and foreward of my bulkhead footbrace. 2 air bags.

If you keep the interiorior of your boat free of gritty sh*t such as sand, twigs, ect, you'll reduce the likelihood of wearing pin holes in your airbags.

Airbags can give you more floatation if you swim in a hole, or even allow you to climb in or stay in your cockpit should your skirt blow.

Airbags also help you lock down whatever cargo you have stored in a boat. Once you pack your cargo smartly, you can inflate your airbags to displace any remaining dead space. The presence of an airbag shouldn't encroach on any storage if you are smart how you pack.

Cool- no float bags? that is another way of signalling to me that you don't want  me to try to hard to retrieve your boat.

a good piece of gear often overloooked.

🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋
explwhore
Paddler
Paddler

Quote explwhore Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 9:57am
Seriously, Float bags are pretty helpful when trying to clean up and sort of swim and recover gear quickly and stop damage.

Didn't mean to bring humor to a serious matter.
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version