Professor Paddle: Muddy Fk. Class 4+ teaser running NOW! vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Warehousing & Order Fulfillment vanlinelogistics.com Seattle Washington (WA) Commercial Relocation vanlinelogistics.com Warehousing & Order Fulfillment
Professor Paddle Professor Paddle
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Home Calendar Forum FSBO Gallery PPages Reviews Rivers Links
  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch
Whitewater Forum
 Professor Paddle : General : Whitewater Forum
Message Icon Topic: Muddy Fk. Class 4+ teaser running NOW! Post Reply Post New Topic
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Travisimo Replybullet Topic: Muddy Fk. Class 4+ teaser running NOW!
    Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 1:20am
So are you jonesing for an new class 4+ (5) run flowing now?  Are you willing to make a 2-2.5 (brutal) hike in?

If so, PM me.  I love this run and think more people should be aware of it.

DO NOT follow the putin information in Bennett unless you are ready to run a 30, then 40 footer followed by a room of DOOM and a Toilet Bowl.

This is a walk in from the bottom and is an awesome run!  (as long as you are able to catch small eddies and are okay with relatively high commitment.)

H2O please
IP IP Logged Send Private Message Send Private Message
septimus prime
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote septimus prime Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 4:00pm
Im off all week! 

Let's do it.
Jon Shell Bee
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 4:24pm
I'd offer beta, but I have to work this week and I think next weekend I'll hit something else... 

Also my legs are still jelly from yesterday
H2O please
water wacko
Master Poster
Master Poster
Team Jackson

Quote water wacko Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:41am
How many miles did you paddle on this one, Travis?
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:41am
Start walking from 46.672864,-121.620447

Takeout is at 46.663314,-121.614522

Putin is at 46.697229,-121.617409 (approx, I guestimated by looking at google maps...

So I'm guessing 2 miles hike and 3 miles of river?  It really starts with a spooky bang (from the video) after a logjam, and has drop after drop that are scoutable (except one thats not really that bad) from river level.  A couple we portaged but I think every drop would go. 

The walk takes 1.5-2 hours, and the run took us only 2 hours, so it's easily manageable in a day.  I don't think it will EVER get too low to do.  When I ran this last year it was way late which made the first descent of the upper canyon possible.  I think it would be really evil and scary now.  (not that it wasn't when we did it too).

H2O please
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:59am
Here is the drive from takeout to walk-in

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=46.672864,-121.620447&daddr=46.663314,-121.614522&geocode=FeAryAIdITjA-A%3BFZIGyAIdRk_A-A&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=46.685277,-121.617022&sspn=0.019077,0.036178&ie=UTF8&ll=46.666461,-121.61449&spn=0.019084,0.036178&t=h&z=15

the putin is here

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=46.697229,+-121.617409&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.879582,74.091797&ie=UTF8&ll=46.697441,-121.616566&spn=0.002384,0.004522&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A

Sorry I couldn't get a single map with all three...  this should be good enough to get anybody there.  You walk along a trail up and down creeks.  The trail is not maintaned any more, but not too hard to stay on.  Once the trail gets very crappy and washed out after a kinda flat marshy area... you'll start seeing pink ribbons marking the path.  When you come to the next deep ravine (there are probably 5 or six others to cross?) you head down to the river (right) basically down the ravine itself.  It flows into a huge logjam, you can pretty easily lower boats onto the jam in two pitches and wind up putting in exactly where that video starts.  You'll probably want to walk the rim of the canyon before putting in to convince yourself you aren't paddling into something terrible.  It does look scary as you head down.

H2O please
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 2:41pm
Thanks for the video. I really liked watching your Fall in the Wall video. I haven't ran it yet so it was nice getting a sneak peak. Upload more videos. They make for video beta!

-BLAH
Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:34am
Thanks for that request!!!  I'm flattered.

Does anyone have a really good easy video editing software suggestion?  I have Sony Vegas, and I'm sure it's great (maybe the best for features) but anybody that has used it realizes its HARD even to start a project!

Can somebody tutor me with Vegas or point me to an easy solution?  The problem is I am too busy with my house and paddling to edit video.  I have hours and hours of really entertaining HD stuff that I'd like to post...

I'd pay a ridiculous amount of $$$ to have our upper Muddy Fork stuff on this new Hd format, but I was on the "waiting list" for the HD version when we ran it.  The helmet cam footage I have will still be impressive to kayakers (when I edit it)... but not suitable for TV viewing... like what I'm getting now...

Get a GoPro HD if you want awesome video... I'm not even sponsored/paid/receive any money from them...  I just love my camera and would like to see other adventures like ours!
H2O please
Blair
McNasty
McNasty

Quote Blair Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:42am
I have a GoPro HD. I just ordered the chest harness. I figure I'll strap it tight to my PFD. The helmet POV is just to high and doesn't give us justice for what we're actually paddling thru. Makes big stuff look small.

I have a Mac and use the software it comes with called iMovie. Predy easy and straight forward. So if you have a mac, it works great. I have footage but haven't taken the time to edit it. Takes up SO MUCH room on my hard drive! I have a 320gb internal harddrive and it's constantly full. I have to undload footage onto my external drives. Anyways, that's some info I can give you. Also, I'll let you know how the chest harness works out. They sell it on rei.com... It should arrive Saturday this week.

-BLAH
kurle
McNasty
McNasty

Quote kurle Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:42am
Neat Run Travis!!!
    - If you have a PC, try out pinnacle studio 14.  its pretty straight forward, and has options for 720 or 1080p.  no 960p though.  i havent used much else, but  i'm pretty happy with how pinnacle is working out.  keep in mind though that when you load up a ton of hd video into the program, it will take a while to process.  I'm not sure if that's the case with all editing software...

Travis/Blair - we should paddle.  what you guys up to this weekend?

Travisimo
Big Boofer
Big Boofer

Quote Travisimo Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:03pm
I'll be in Packwood tomorrow at 9am... Ohane, Upper Upper and Muddy Fk take 2 are all in play now.  Sorry this is how late I make my paddling decisions... 
H2O please
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version