Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6762
Printed Date: 27 May 2024 at 11:10pm

Topic: NF Snoqualmie - III Section
Posted By: gowithflow
Subject: NF Snoqualmie - III Section
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 12:34pm
Wow....everything is really high.  Unfortunately I cannot make it all the way to the Wenatchee this weekend but would be interesting in paddling.  It looks like the NF Snoqualmie is running and would like to guage interest to see if anyone is interested in going down it tomorrow.

Description:
Class III ish, good surf waves, etc

If there is any interest I'll post a trip.

Replies:
Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 1:13pm
I have wanted to do this run for a long time, unfortunately due to a foot injury I wouldn't want to make the hike out.

Posted By: Wog67
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 1:39pm
How class III ish is it. I havent run that section ever.. so is it straight classs III or leans a little one way or the other?

-------------
Flip, rinse, repeat.

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:02pm

I would say its the Middle Middle without House Rocks @ 2,000 cfs.  Just my opinion.

Posted By: Wog67
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:07pm

Ok, good info... prob not for me at this point... I want to go out and boat. but dont want to get thrashed this weekend.

-------------
Flip, rinse, repeat.

Posted By: spilly
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 2:46pm
Hey, I would be maybe be interested. I've never done this run before. Do you think it would be a reasonable class 3 even with tomorrow's flows?

-------------
Sarah

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 3:43pm
Good question ....I have done this run about 2000 cfs and was still in my opinion class III.  I will have to check my Bennett book to verfiy max level (not with me at the moment).  The 1200 cfs on this site and AW seems a bit low.

I would say 2300 cfs would be a cut off.

I will do some reasearch tonight.

Posted By: arnobarno
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 3:58pm
I would love to do this section of river sometime though I doubt tomorrow is the day to do it - level is predicted (yeah, who knows) to be over 3K tomorrow.  Bennett says 1200 (so, obviously that is not right as you have direct evidence contrary).

Also, what is the access situation now??  Long hike out??

I wish there was something running tomorrow for a conservative III-IV boater (other than the Wenatchee) that didn't involve hopping on super high water.  Oh well, a good day to bike...

-------------
arn9schaeffer@gmail.com (remove 9 for my real email address)

Posted By: Sisu
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:11pm
I'm in if you decide to go.  Come on Arn!
John
cell 206-949-1549

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:17pm
Thanks for the encouragement John!

But, I have a carefully derived formula for boating:
if (new_run=TRUE) and (water_level > recommended_max) then arn=sorry

-------------

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 5:48pm
The South fork is running good too, and there is lots of nice surf waves in there at high water. Plus it's class 3 at this level.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 5:54pm
I may be in for a South Fork Snoqualmie run tomorrow around 12noon. It is good and class III up to 4k, then it goes through town! It's a fast run at high water and not a good swim either, so bring your A game. Bring your A for Arno, Arno....ha ha ha.....

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 6:23pm
Arno,

I was at home verifying the Bennett book and it states the range of  600 cfs - 1,200. 

I have run it @ 2,000 and the pics on AW are at 1,800 but I think you are right about tomorrow might be out of the appropriate range......There could be some bigger holes at the forecasted levels.

I am glad there is interest I'll put up a post when the levels are a little more appropriate for a new crew going down.

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 6:32pm
Dave,
You are funny.  Yeah, the SF Snoq is fun at high water.  We ran it last year around 1800 and 1700 and it was a blast.  Though a swim in the canyon can be long as we bore witness to such an event.  So, yeah, you definitely want to bring your A-game.

I think we are going on a bike ride tomorrow but would consider a run on the SF on Sunday.
arn

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:28pm
I'm only boating on Saturday, so I hope someone is up for a quick blast down around noon tomorrow. I'll check this post in the morning.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: spilly
Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:01am
I am up for a SF run tomorrow. Let me know if you decide to go.

-------------
Sarah

Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:21am
I'm a no go for tomorrow, got plans....

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: Jeff
Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 3:02pm
Hey Gowiththeflow,
  I'm out of town till monday, but would be interested in hitting the NF thursday afternoon if your up for it.  I have never done it and am interested in hitting it when the flow is good.  Gimmie a PM or a call.  Thanks!

-Jeff

-------------
"What could possibly go wrong?"
www.flickr.com/photos/jeffdwyer/

Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 3:07pm
I could be down for a Thursday evening run.  How bad is the hike out??

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2008 at 11:27pm
The hike is about 1 mile+...but by no stretch brutal. Recommend Tevas or something sturdy since the road is gravel.

I will keep my eyes on the flow and post a trip.....from what a I remember there are a couple of good playspots

Print Page | Close Window