Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12111
Printed Date: 18 Jun 2024 at 12:01am

Topic: FITW CUPDATE!!!!!!
Posted By: dave
Subject: FITW CUPDATE!!!!!!
Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:30pm
FALL IN THE WALL IS GOING!!!! Road is open, run is running at a low med level. Its all good!!!! I have pics but iphone cant post to pp as I'm up here now.

-------------
Nomad

Replies:
Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:30pm
Just a little water in the cup, perfect!!!!

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: JayB
Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:49pm
Sweet - thanks. I was just about to ask for a Cupdate.

Anyone have a chance to crank out a lap or two and scope the wood situation?

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:51pm
I just hiked down to the bottom of Fearsome foursome and it looks all clean. Not sure about lower though.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:00pm
Okay, I just finished my scout rest the way down the road but the sides of the river have snow and I didn't have proper shoes on to hike by the river.

Anyway, from what I can see, the river looks to be clear of wood, the entire run looks clean.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 1:04pm
I will download pics later. My fb has pics already.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:48pm
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7126">
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7129">
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7130">
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7131">
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7132">
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7134">

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 4:58pm
Awesome - looks perfect, Dave. Many thanks and kudos for the inaugural Cupdate plus photos!

-------------
-Jay

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 29 May 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by JayB

Awesome - looks perfect, Dave. Many thanks and kudos for the inaugural Cupdate plus photos!

Ladies and gentlemen: the orinator of the "Cupdate"--- JayB!

Sweet. May get a few after work FITWAH trips in yet...

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: Fenix747
Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 12:26pm
Been looking at this run for a while waiting for it to come in. Haven't been on it yet and want to get some before I move east. Any vets out there want to style it before my eyes?

Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:46pm
RIGHT NOW it's at a perfect easiest level. I could be talked into running it this afternoon if we could form a group.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 1:59pm
Normally I could rally and be in the water at a moments notice, but this week is hell week for me. Finals and moving out before Friday. After noon on Friday I am as free as can be for the next two weeks. Then Montreal.

Thanks for the thought though dave, we can make it happen soon.

Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 2:02pm
I could rally after work on Friday too. That is, if the levels stay in the 475 or lower zone. Any higher and it leaves my comfort zone.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 30 May 2012 at 4:21pm
Looks like it may jump up with rain coming in, but we shall see. Either way ill be on the water somewhere Friday, then snatch all weekend.

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 9:44am
Looks like FITW is blown out for a while. I would rate it class V at these levels and higher.

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:01pm
Cupdate for Sat June 2, approx 2pm:

Cup rock is completely submerged and barely visible beneath a frothy blanket of jade water.

FITW Proper is fat and fluffy, reverberating with a thunderous roar.
In other words, its quite high.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:14pm

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:15am
Anybody want to drive up? Takeout at `10:30??

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: FLUID
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 9:32am
Oh yeah !! JD and I will see you there around 12

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 6:14pm
At 10 am this morning, the down stream side of the cup rock was a few inches above the water.

Couple groups got multiple laps and the run is in a great shape. Nicely padded!

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 9:29pm
Some wood has moved.

/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7155">

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 6:06pm
Yo- can we chill out on the HUGE PHOTOS? I mean, photos are good beta, don't get me wrong, but some of us cowboys are gettin on this here internets using a smart phone in, say, Cle Elum, yo.

Smaller file sizes or some compression would be greatly appreciated so these pages can load all right. But then again, fu*k it. Homeless Hairy don't need no internets to be scoopin freshies on the whitewater goods- all he needs is a van, a bike, and bottle of the Arrogant B!

Anyway, headed up there to give yall a cupdate. If I like what's in the cup I may rally it up.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:19pm
Ahhh... The fresh scent of pine boughs!

And now for your Monday Evening Cupdate:

Definitely on the higher end of the scale. The cup over runneth. The downstream peak of rock is an island, and the upstream skinny ridge of rock is mostly submerged, with only a tiny knob breaking the surface.

Medium High to High, depending on who you ask.

Of note is a small cylinder of wood pinned against the right wall just downstream of the fan rock in the first drop of the FF. Yeah- just before you get to the typewriter wave at the top of 2nd FF drop. Its in play, although not much of a hazard at this flow. If it hangs out when the water drops, it could be an issue. Looks to be about 4-6" diameter and aproximately a boat length long, or slightly less. Most of it is buried in the pillow on R. Right.

Those logs in the Island Drop have shuffled nicely out of the way as Tiziak's photo reveals. The way the boulders are configured in there tends to send long logs to the left.

Current Weather Conditions:
Mild temps, foggy. Barely perceptible sprinkles precipitate.

And that is The Monday Evening Cupdate for June 4th, at 8:20pm

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:45pm
It was like I was watching Chris Farley on King 5.

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 9:20pm
That log that you speak of has a rope on it anchoring it to the right wall and has been there since last year when we were running it. Maybe at lower water we might just saw that thing up and pull it out this year. 

And I really don't understand the cup date??? if the rock is showing or not showing go run the damn thing !!!! On sunday the cup was almost full @ 750-800 and all three of us  thought more water would be fun. Its a descent reference.....but its still fun at 200cfs

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 7:01am
Yeah, I feel ya, but you know how some people are. To some, the cup is half empty, and to others, half full. But many don't want to drive up here if the cup is over spilling or covered, Fluid. They are not bad ass like you, my man. I mean, I agree with you. On the other hand I did get my ass gobbled up Fisherman's once when the cup was covered. Luckily Fish was there to fish me out. The rest of the run sure was fun though, and I had a nice clean run the previous lap.

My preferences: I like to see that fan/kicker rock lubricated with H2O, w/ the little fu*ker rock directly downstream covered so I can carry a smooth line into the Typewriter wave.

Anyway, grab a cup of java. Its time for your Morning Cupdate:
Cup rock is stable. Same flow as last night.
Weather is drizzly. Temperatures are cold than last night. Fog has somewhat abated, but is still present.

Oh, come on, Fluid! Its fun to issue a Cupdate!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 8:01am

I know, I know .....  wish I could paddle with ya today :(  Thanks for the cup dates buddy !!!

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 9:06am
I am not a badass kayaker, so the cup is an important tool for me. I have run FITW hundreds of times at different levels, and these day I like the cup to just have a little water in it. That way the holes are not there to gobble me up as I try to have fun going down the waterslides. I dont like big holes in FITW, I guess I am getting old and dont want to break myself anymore...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:13pm
You're not alone. The average paddler who runs FITWah seems to prefer the rim of the cup to be exposed, revealing the square-like shape of the cup's interior. That keeps it well within class IV parameters.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:19am
Anybody want to head up there today? I am getting off work at 1 today and I can be there by 330...

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 1:40pm
Nobody? Lame.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 2:17pm
Im having the same problem with the Green, seems that no one boats after work anymore.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: phil
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:25pm
Hey, gotta work sometime... Mañana perhaps?

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 4:44pm
Cant boat timorrow, need a day of rest before I start up again on Friday. I have kayaked the last 20 days out of 30, including last three days in a row. Need some rest after today.

-------------
Nomad

Posted By: SOPBOATER
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 9:10pm
I would like to run this friday. any takers.

Posted By: JD_G
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:08pm
I don't know man....you and me on the same river sounds like trouble. Back to the days of "yellow leader" in BC. Hope you're doing good. Small chance I could make it work.   Especially if I don't go thursday night. What time you thinking Kris?

JD

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:11pm
Hmm. I have a feeling by then I will be EASTside. Thurs could be my window, especially if...

a) the cup was more than half full when I got up there (cuz you all know I'm an optimist if things are more than 50% good)

and

b) if Fish happened to be able to meet me up there with a very specific piece of Tupperware.

But I reserve the right to decide not to inflict undue scratches upon my tupperware. In this scenario, with I'd rather take my chances with the fatty flank of Fisherman's

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 10:57pm
5:15 Thursday?    Out of my brain on the train.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:09pm
Dude, you just missed Connor and his homeboy. They are just changing into dry clothes now.

And now for your evening cupdate for Thurs, 6/7/12...

The rim of the cup is well exposed all around with water flowing through the big crack, and slightly lapping out of the small crack.

That's a jP medium low.
Or a Ben Hawthorn low.
Or a Dave High.

(Depends who ya ask)

Connor called it low, with his caveat that he has boated it a lot w/ Fish.

Can you tell how entertaining I find all this subjectivity?

It is currently raining fairly hard. There is still a ton of snow up there to feed some Fitwah goodness for a bit yet.

Those heading over the pass who like cusion for the pushin may be dissappointed by tomorrow, but all you butt scrapers and nose bangers might find it just perfect.

Friday may be a FITWah for the Elfers.
Or, if things dip up a hair, it may be surprisingly mediumish.

In the end you'll still have to eye that cup rock for yourselves.
See yall EASTside!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:29pm
Thanks JP. Thought I was leaving work at 4 but just done now. Fuh. Glad some folks got laps.

Posted By: HINDS
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 8:43am
Too low to boat this afternoon on the way to Leavenworth?  Any thoughts on how low it just may bee around 530 tonight?

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 8:57am
Cupdate will be offered this afternoon. I am heading over. If the cup ain't too low I will be lappin it a few times.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 9:10am
Too low??? It is still on the high side and will be for a while. Too low is around 200cfs for cripes sake...

-------------
Nomad

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 11:33am
Not too low but certainly on the low side of fun.... Ain't no medium that's fer shure.

Real time cupdate brought to you by me

Posted By: chipmaney
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 7:15am
FITW should be nice medium high today. Who wants to run laps with me this evening?

Chipper
2oh6.9one4.2one39

-------------
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end

Posted By: pottert
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 8:44am
Lookin to run FITW sometime on Thursday. Its my first time down, anyone wanna come show a brother some lines?

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 3:32pm
what time on thursday would you be trying to get on that?

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 4:46pm
Probably sometime mid morning. You gonna be around Jed?

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 4:48pm
would like to but I have a desk job now so my schedule is a little less flexible, if you were going be be there for an afterwork run I'd have rallied.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:21pm
Ah too bad man, well we'll have to go run something soon. Anyone else want to get some mid day laps in on Thursday?

Posted By: KBfree
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 10:30pm

Would like to get out there Thursday or Friday after work.  I  can leave Kent valley at 3pm.  Traffic permitting could be on the water just after 4. 

Keep me posted... 

Kirk

-------------
Kirk B

Posted By: jred
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:00am
I am new to the area. I have looked at a couple videos of this run and it looks like it is probably within my comfort zone, but I am not sure what levels the videos were at (looked kind of low I think). If there is a group going in the evening I would love to hike along, shoot video, run safety and maybe hop on for a second lap if that works out.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 1:00pm
Cupdate anyone?

Posted By: BrianP
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 2:28pm
What's the story with the gauge for this run? Does it not always tell the truth? Or is the cup just the preferred metric?

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by BrianP

What's the story with the gauge for this run? Does it not always tell the truth? Or is the cup just the preferred metric?

The gauge is way below FITW and there are a bunch of small tributaries that feed in FITW - so the gauge down low doesn't always tell you what's going on up high.

IMO - early in the FITW if there's rain or precip, or residual snow in the lower drainages you can have a high flow in the SF and low flows up top, and when it's later in the season and drier down below you can have relatively low flows down lot - but a lot of the juice coming from up high in the drainage that feeds FITW and the volume up there can be higher than you'd think looking at the gauge.

The cup is a natural paddler's gauge right at the top of the run so it's always dead on. The only thing people debate is what levels constitute high, medium, and low flows. I personally think that people who have run FITW a gazillion times tend to sand-bag it a bit, but then again I am kind of a wuss and prefer things on the ELF side.

-------------
-Jay

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 5:12pm
Anyone want to run it this weekend?  Let me know...

-------------
Kirk B

Posted By: BrianP
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 7:06pm
I may be interested...it would be my first run so I'd probably want a look at it first and decide. That's probably not all that helpful to you unless you've already got a group though.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 9:52pm
Did some laps tonight.  Cup was underwater except a few inches of the downstream point.  I'd call it Med-High to High, depending on your taste.  Drop above the usual putin was padded nicely.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 10:40am

Would like to get on there...  Maybe Sunday or next week after work. 

Keep the updates coming.  And post any trips.  I've been out of loop for awhile. 
Kirk

-------------
Kirk B

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:08pm
http://www.professorpaddle.com/media/photoview.asp?File_Id=7242">
Today

-------------
Nomad

Print Page | Close Window