Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10199
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 11:38pm

Topic: AZ whitewater?
Posted By: Kiwi
Subject: AZ whitewater?
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 5:20pm
I got accepted to Northern Arizona University a month ago and I want to know if it's worth hauling my boat down to school with me next fall. I heard that stuff does run but it's very flashy. Anyone done stuff around Flagstaff?

Replies:
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
and I can't wait to hit stuff up in Cali on my way home in the spring!

Posted By: dylan
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:20pm
You should bring it. I wouldn't travel anywhere without a boat.

I hear Oak Creek is pretty neat when it goes.

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:45pm
I would imagine that there are some good drainage ditch waves that would be possible. It's also near flagstaff so I would imagine hanging out at the grand put-in and offer to row the turd boat for the extent of the trip, that would help you get on the grand. I would try searching yahoo groups for an arizona based paddle groups or perhaps clubs at your campus. Also look into what the city of flagstaff has to offer (paddle shops, gear stores, rafting outfitters, etc.).

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: BRoss
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:14pm
It's not too far to Durango....

-------------
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 7:31pm
I'm going there for the climbing, so it's not like I'm going to drive 5 hours to boat. I'll do some more research but I was hoping for someone with first hand experience. I've done the grand twice already and it'd be hard to just straight up skip 3 weeks of school, as much as I'd like too!

Posted By: FalldownWilly
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 8:55pm
some ideas...fossil creek runs all year, less than 2 hrs to the south spring fed - between camp verde and strawberry on 260, 1 mile hike in along creek from power plant for no shuttle, starts and ends with straight forward 16-18 waterfall, both you can do laps on. others - tonto, christopher creek, verde, woods not all too far. probably more.

Posted By: chipmaney
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 10:07pm
looks like the Verde and Colorado are currently the only things runnin'...

http://americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/AZ/

-------------
sitting all alone on a mountain by a river that has no end

Posted By: GHannam
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:22am
I know someone who whitewater kayaks down there, near Flagstaff. I'll see if I can find her information and send it to you; I'm sure she'd be happy to give you the beta down there.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:30pm
I heard about a super clean 30 footer that lands in a deep pool. it always has water in it and sounds really cool. anyone know where it is?

Posted By: 1150lbsofaire
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:46pm
congratulations
the climbing is world class to say the least. every type of rock within 30 miles at every elevation and the locals are as cool as they come.
the boating will be random but there r thousands of canyons that run when it flashes. Codys web site huckinhuge.com has the best beta ive found and you should contact him for sure when you get there

-------------
lookin for a bow cap for a storm

Posted By: toddg
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 11:06pm
Whitewater of the Southern Rockies, by McCutchen/Stafford, documents (with full beta & great photos) most of the runs that are worth a damn in AZ .. upper salt notwithstanding. http://www.amazon.com/Whitewater-Southern-Rockies-Stafford-McCutchen/dp/0979264405

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 9:28am
Talk to Cody Howard. The main thing is watching the weather and striking while the iron is red hot.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window