Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12663
Printed Date: 14 May 2024 at 11:53am

Topic: Race this weekend
Posted By: fiddleyak
Subject: Race this weekend
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:40pm
Hey all,
We are scheduled for our second race of the Fall Winter Race Series this weekend, Sat Nov 17th.
I'm thinking either Canyon Creek Stilly or Robe.
Anyone have an opinion? I'm inclined to go with Canyon Creek as long as there are people that want to do it outside of those that would be down for Robe. We would do 1 or even 2 pre race laps to learn the lines and identify hazards.
Has anyone run CC recently that can comment on the wood situation?

Replies:
Posted By: wday
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:19pm
Im in for CC, can't comment on current wood though

will

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 4:35pm
Im in, but would be a safety boater on Robe.

On a side, Will, did you solo the SF skok at 2000?
Holy sh*t!

Posted By: WA-Boater
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:43pm
Jon-
If I can make it we should try to car pool. Maybe pick-up Brian Burger in Tacoma if he wants to go. Patrinellis - u out there? Want to car pool or hanging with the girl-friend in Seattle?

-------------

Posted By: rshingle
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:13pm
I'm in for CC stilly. Ran it this past weekend. Small wood in the far river left slot at the bottom of the boulder garden below the double drop. it was loose so hopefully it didn't shift somewhere else. There was also a riverwide log in the flatwater pool of the canyon just below the 2nd rapid. At 6ft and 4.9ft it was just underwater and could pass over it with no problems.

Posted By: ellsw121
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:20pm
I am in for CC stilly. That would give a lot of people a chance to race.

We have run CC a lot lately and there are a few pieces of wood,I will make a lap on Friday to check out if anything has moved since then. 

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:30pm
Leif-
What time would you be going on Friday? I could meet for an early am run. 830-9am or so. Feel free to give me a call. And you would need to show me down.

Darren
253 5for9tree9for5

-------------

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:22pm
Probably be out that way myself...

Posted By: JD_G
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:13pm
Recovering from the flu but I should be up for a CC race. Would also be up for hitting it Friday morning. Let me know what time.

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:02am
Yeah Darren,

If your down here we should definitely car pool.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 11:05am
Awesome! The race will be held on Canyon Creek of the SF Stillaguamish. Saturday November 17th.
Let's plan on meeting at takeout at 10 for the first practice lap. Starting the race around 12.
I don't think a mass start is a very good idea given that the first rapid is one of the trickiest. We'll probably do a timed launch at intervals of a minute.
We'll decide where the finish line is on Saturday, currently I'm thinking not far below that big hole that you run on the center right.
Gordon said that he might be able to bring his trailer to facilitate quick shuttles. I think Shauna is down to help with driving and start timing.
We'll start with short boats with the possibility of a longboat race afterwards.
I'm working on getting some prizes for the safety boaters and race volunteers. The idea is that every time you help at one of the 6 races you get a ticket for a raffle that will take place at the last event, on March 9th.
It would be great to get a few safety boaters to post up along the run.
Anyone volunteer to be finish line timer?

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:38pm
A few of us are meeting for a lap or two Friday morning at 830am. Feel free to join. Meet at take-out.
If we note any hazards I will post a report here when I get to a computer.
As far as timing, you could probably send Andrew first with a synced watch. No one is going to make up the interval on him. He could then read times off as people paddle in. Honor system - nobody is going to cheat. Just need to make sure everyone starts at exactly 1min or 30sec or whatever the interval is.

-------------

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 4:12pm
I might be down to try and meet some folks Friday am but earliest I will arrive is 10am, after dropping J off at school.  So post up if anyone else is looking at a similar time frame.  Otherwise probably see folks on Sat.  Sounds like fun if the level holds.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 11:55am
i'll be at takeout ~7am tomorrow if anyone else is up early. Septimus, yes, high quality adventure and good learning experience

Posted By: phil
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 1:43pm
I'm up for this, anyone want to carpool from Seattle?

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 2:22pm
I'm in for a super early run, but I have commitments in the afternoon. Lets see if I can weasle my way out of it, but for now, I'm on track with my "miss every race of the season" game plan.

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: jP
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:13pm
Dan, does this mean 'no Robe' ?
CC instead? Guess I'll show up. Kinda wanting to bail tho and return to Robe if flows warrant.

Just sayin. But those stoked on CC should follow through. Maybe I'll join ya. But if peeps are into Robe, let me know

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 6:29pm
Phil,
Ill be carpooling from 130th/I5 pnr @ 9am if you want to meet up.
Ben
2o6 99999eight5

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Posted By: Travisimo
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:45pm
I'd just like to paddle down once, I don't like losing

What time would be best for that?  I'd run safety...  I live close so maybe I'll just show up...

-------------
H2O please

Posted By: ellsw121
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 8:22am
Just show up 12 would prob be the best.

Posted By: thorpetodd
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 6:25pm
How was the race?  Any wood? 

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 1:46am
Great Race! Thanks again Ben, Andrew, & Gordon and also big thanks to the safety crew (Phil et al.). Big confidence boost seeing safety preset at nearly all the rapids. 13 official racers, fastest time of day was darren at 6m17s, course was just above bridge to start of flat water at end of canyon.

Posted By: AMcEwan
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 10:52am
Race results:
  1. Darren 6:17
  2. Todd 6:20
  3. Andrew 6:28
  4. Ben 6:35
  5. Griff 6:43
  6. Brendan 6:45
  7. Will G 6:54
  8. Burger 7:06
  9. Jed 7:08
  10. Parker 7:23
  11. Will D 7:50
  12. Jon Shelby 8:02
  13. Olin 10:12 (stopped to do safety)
  14. Mike H 24:27 (unplanned stopover)

Many thanks to the safety boaters:

Charles

Rob

Damian

Dave

Leif

Phil

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 12:48pm
It was great to have so many people came out to race and support the event. Special thanks to Gordon for bringing his boat trailer and Shauna for helping with shuttles.
Mark your calendars Dec 15th is the next race.

Gordon it would be great to get the photos you took during the race.

Here's what we got, all river pics are pre-race:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fjc6ofb9zegi3wo/0WPjPOSYgD - Canyon Creek Race 2012 Photos

Posted By: huckin harms
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 5:17pm
DFL with a beer bootie!  

Looking forward to the next one, I think, it can only get better, hopefully. 

Thanks to Ben and all those who came out and participated.  good times....

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 7:52am
Thanks again for the race Ben. It was awesome to see so many people comes out. There must have been over 20 boaters for the first annual cc stilly race.
Thanks to all the safety boaters, Shawna for timing and shuttling and Gordon for hooking up the trailer. The trailer probably saved a couple hours throughout the day.
I look forward to next month

Darren

-------------

Print Page | Close Window