Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13325
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:41am

Topic: Wood on the Suiattle
Posted By: The NZA
Subject: Wood on the Suiattle
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 11:48am
What's the wood situation on the Suiattle recently?Anyone run the part above the washout in the last few months?

Replies:
Posted By: commander fun
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 12:49pm
A group of us ran it in April from rat trap bridge to some public takeout on the main road. Can't remember the name. Anyways there was a lot of wood but no portages. Lots of strainers though. A couple of places demanded full attention. Things have probably changed since then. Also it was a really long run. 12 miles I think.

-------------

Posted By: BRoss
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 2:04pm
Sarah and I backpacked up to Downey creek recently. There was a riverwide log several miles up from the washout. Since that was in one of the few places where the river was visible, I would imagine that there are more issues than what we could see.

-------------
"That boated a lot better than it looked." "It always does until it doesn't."

Posted By: jlyons
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2013 at 10:34pm
We did it in a raft and kayak from Rat Trap down to the confluence this last Sunday. The only channel-wide log is in the river right channel about 100 yds below the put-in - it is the main current-carrying channel you think you want to take. You can bounce down the river left channel, or there is a small eddy or two in the right hand channel that a single kayak can catch to portage the log. There are lots of logjams in the rest of the run, but none approached blocking the river.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 12:24pm
Great thanks for all the beta! I am thinking of taking the Alpacka above Rat Trap, so lots of portages are not as much an issue in a 5 lb boat.

Posted By: SPerillo
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:26pm
Let me know how far up you get. I have a Packraft too and always curious about the upper Suiattle

Posted By: Dirty
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 1:57pm
Would anyone like to run the Suiattle tomorrow (Saturday) from Rat Trap down? I haven't done it before, but it sounds worthwhile, at least for the scenery.

Aaron

Posted By: stacksondeck
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 2:51pm
Aaron,

Im new to this website and this river but and I'd be down to run the Suiattle tomorrow. Sounds like an easy enough run. I'm living in Bellingham now but I've been paddling on the Ark in CO past couple summers. Name is Nick, # is 3607398679 give me a text maybe... Where you coming from?

-Nick

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 3:03pm
theres a group meeting  saturday at 1030 at the darrington IGA.  were either going to run the sauk or the suiattle.  i would rather run the sauk.

-------------

Posted By: Dirty
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 4:53pm
Commander fun,
I'm going to meet Nick for a run on the Suiattle at 10am. Maybe we will see up there. Otherwise have fun on the Sauk.

Aaron

Date Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 5:08pm
I can't make it but sounds like a fun time will be had! I may be heading there Sunday, however, likely just for the bridge and down run.

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:22am
ALERT: as of 7/21/13 there is a river wide log just below rat trap bridge.  we eddied out on river left and walked around it.  approach with caution.

-------------

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:04am
Anyone been up there this summer on either the upper or lower and know the wood situation?

-------------
http://joeskayak.com - Joeskayak.com

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 3:11pm
I paddled it last year and the big log jam had been broken up and the rest of the run was surprisingly clean.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 10:58am
Thanks for the update. I'm assuming that's the lower (rat trap down) run. I'd wager the upper is pretty choked up.

-------------
http://joeskayak.com - Joeskayak.com

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:34pm
correct, rat-trap down

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Print Page | Close Window