Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14182
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 5:58pm

Topic: Multiday Med Kit?
Posted By: Sam_Graftton
Subject: Multiday Med Kit?
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 2:32am
What do people carry in their med kits for overnighters?

-Sam

Replies:
Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 4:03pm
I have one of those Adventure Medical kits that I supplimented with some of my own items. It's one of their mid size kits designed for 1-4 days of travel.

I Add:
-Benedryl or any kind of antihistamine.
-Real Painkillers.
-Big needle and fishing line (fixing spray skirts and basically anything else, Floss works well too).
-Additional medical tape (those things never have enough).
-A couple of bandannas (or anything else to make a sling).
-I replace the crap tweezers with proper tweezers.
-Lighter.
-some homemade firestarter (sawdust or dryer lint soaked in candle wax, you can also fold up a couple pieces of wax paper).

I make sure that these items are not touched unless it is a true emergency. In my day bag I have most of these items in a separate waterproof container. The Med kit, pin kit, a couple glove warmers and a hat all live in their own dry bag and are the last thing loaded so they are easily accessed.

I'm sure I'm missing a couple items but that's the gist of it.

Got a big trip planned?

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: Fun Eli
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 1:40am
I have a medium sized first-aid / "Oh sh*t" kit that I put together myself. It's a great kit for a small group on mulit-day trips, but it's small and light enough (<1Kg) that I throw it in my boat for every run (and it has come in handy more than once). It's in a small watershed dry bag (prototype i-Pad case) and keeps everything 99.9% dry. I leave it open between paddling trips to let any incidental moisture evaporate, and all the contents are sealed in ziplock bags for both waterproofing and organization. It's mostly first-aid, but I also includes stuff for gear repairs and the unexpected overnight. Contents include (from top of the bag working in):

1st bag (the most urgent stuff right on top):
Gloves
Face mask
CPR face shield (disposable practice shield from CPR course, but it will keep vomit out of your mouth)
Oral airway

2nd bag (wound care):
one 5x9 Combine Dressing (for serious bleeds)
a bunch of 4x4's
Tegederm - several sizes (best thing for boaters)
2 ouchless dressings (better than gauze since they don't stick to wound)
Glacier gel dressings (best thing for blisters)
Band aids (the clear tegederm-style ones are best)
Alcohol swabs
Antibiotic ointment

3rd bag (meds - double bagged)
Ibuprofen 200mg (take 800mg for serious pain)
Benadryl (a cheap, must-have, life-saving drug)
Tylenol (best thing for lowering a fever)
Aspirin (short shelf-life, but cheap and potentially life-saving)
Imodium (potentially life saving in case of a bad case of the sh*ts or for just preventing dry-suit catastrophes)
(prescription pain killers if you have them - in case of serious injury)
(epi-pen if you have severe allergies to anything)

4th bag (bandages):
Triangular bandage (crucial for dislocated shoulder)
Ace bandage
Roller gauze

5th bag (intensive wound care):
Clorhexidine surgical scrub sponge
15ml sterile saline
Betadine solution
Sterile 10ml syringe
Sterile needle (for irrigation)
Dermabond
Steri-strips
Skin stapler 35W (can be used without anesthetic)

Other stuff tucked in around the sides:
12hr candle, lighter, & 55-gallon trash bag (emergency heat-tent)
Sam-Splint (I can't over-state how useful this is)
Duck tape (better than medical tape)
Gorilla tape (for gear repair)
Heavy needle & 135-weight thread
~12' of 3mm accessory cord
Zip-ties (spares for my homemade break-away bulkhead)

In PFD pocket:
Another 55-gallon trash bag
Spot messenger
6' 3mm cord
Flashlight
Knife

I have done emergency medicine in a number of outdoor environments, and by far the most used things in the first-aid kit are 4x4's bandaids, and duck tape. That being said, I have had to use everything on this list with the exception of the stapler, but only because the steri-stips worked well enough. You could certainly add more stuff to this list, but I find this kit covers almost every scenario in which you are not calling for a helicopter, while still being compact and light-weight. You could probably cram most of this stuff in a an Otter/Pelican box or Nalgine and wrap the sam-splint around the outside, but I think a drybag works better. I consider a sam-splint mandatory as it is super versatile and I have been in 3 situations where the sam-splint saved the day. Don't forget to pack any prescription medications people might have. If you are doing more of an expedition, I would also consider carrying several antibiotics along with a copy of "The Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy" to make sure you know which one is appropriate. And it goes without saying, but I will say it anyway, you should get good medical training so you know how to properly utilize all this stuff.

OK, that was long-winded, but I hope it helps.

-Eli

Posted By: irenen
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:26am
Super helpful, thanks for posting!

-------------
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:37am
Great info!   

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 2:23pm
Sam, I'm usually hiking when overnighting and weight plays a big part. If I can make due in the field and improvise it saves a lot. Improvise effectively. Ibuprofin, Benadryl, athletic tape, pond liner repair tape, 3 lighters in different bags, alcohol pads. Those are essential, the rest is more trip/risk specific. What hardware you (the team) bring, tarp/bivy/pad questions. Do I bring a sleeping bag or not… Small things to be assessed, but could add up to a more useful, lighter kit overall. A few times I've made a pile of the things I didn't use or could've easily gotten by without and weighed it.

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Print Page | Close Window