Whitewater Forum: help find creek boat!?
Print Page | Close Window

help find creek boat!?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14241
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 5:42am

Topic: help find creek boat!?
Posted By: imageAK
Subject: help find creek boat!?
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:53am
Alright so I am new to the site and the kayaking world in general. My best friend and I started in January with two nice sit on top kayaks and a 3 day down river trip(first ever) in the winter lol. Then we upgraded to recreational 10ft kayaks and since have taken them through and up to class 3+ runs on the toutle in high and low water to the point that they have needed a good number of repairs. No it's time to step up to a capable creek boat since my paddling has surpassed the ability of my boat. Being the only bread winner and with a new baby I am at a disadvantage beside my best friend as far as being able to get said creek boat. I have r heard lots of veterans often have many boats. I am looking for a cheap but good characteristic high volume boat something around $200-300 and it's ok if it's beat up. I can plastic weld and don't mind taking on water as long as it's not a 10ft heavy Canadian pos rec boat like I have now. I am located in centralia wa and will drive a long distance for the right deal so I can enjoy that ww more and spend less time flipping or draining my I'll equipped boat as I do now. Thank you in advance

Replies:
Posted By: mikenash
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:16am
I have a 20012 large Burn you can have. The nose is a bit bent and cracked but otherwise in reasonable shape. Call me on 206 799 8687, Mike Nash

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:09pm
imageAK : you might also consider doing a little research on how to Roll a kayak and the difference between Whitewater boats vs Rec Boats.

If you are paddling class 3-4 and just learning your roll along with boat handling in general you might actually be looking for something more of a river runner in general, not a play boat or creek boat. Something with forgiving edges, length and volume that is designed to be a general all around boat.

Not saying Mike's Burn is not a great deal, I would go get it but spend a little time honing in that roll and going on trips with folks that can guide you on the basics of paddling.

Posted By: xanthopb
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:38pm
I would just send it in Kiwi's beater.-Brad

-------------
O-Qua Tangin Wann

Posted By: mikenash
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:50pm
Brad will lend you his Phat if you want something smaller and more challenging.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 7:39pm
I've rolled sea kayaks previously and we have done quite a bit of reading up and video research. My best friend is still in needed of something more creeker style asap since Mike helped me out. He could swing a couple hundred or has some cool valuable stuff to trade. Anyone else with something a bit used cracked little bit I'd gladly drive the distance again and he's a 5.9 smaller guy.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 7:44pm
We've had to deal with a lot of situations already so we've learned practically and first hand a lot of the things that we've found portrayed as important online, rescues,pinned rescues maneuvering to the limits of our boats. Once my friend gets a boat I think we'll do well.

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:18pm
Right on, sounds like you guys are chompin at the bit. Wish I had sum plastic to throw your way.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:24pm
Committed for sure. We get an itch and go as hard as possible. Sky diving rock climbing snow boarding hiking surfing dirt bagging etc!

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:17am
Originally posted by imageAK

Committed for sure. We get an itch and go as hard as possible. Sky diving rock climbing snow boarding hiking surfing dirt bagging etc!
Dude, I like your style!  

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 10:40am
I've got a Zen 65 I'd part with for 250$, it's got a patch in the front, other than that it's 2 years old. Patch is water tight. PM me I could be interested in a trade too.

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 1:25pm
Thanks Dan! Where abouts are you located?

Print Page | Close Window