Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14261
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:39am

Topic: New to Seattle, looking to paddle soon
Posted By: itchy
Subject: New to Seattle, looking to paddle soon
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 1:58pm
Hey yall,

I just moved to Seattle (Wallingford) and am looking to get out and boat. I know that this is pretty much the seasonal nadir of PNW boating... but I've been too long in exile (KS, MI) and need a fix. I've been lurking on the forum for a couple months (since I learned I was moving here) and am also very much looking forward to meeting everyone.

Until I get a new footbrace/bulkhead and fix the backband in my Eskimo Diablo Evo, I'm probably limited to what can be run in a small playboat (i.e. sufficiently padded class IV or less). Once my Diablo is running and get a couple warm-up runs in, I can step it up a bit.

Other than travel dates, I've got a very flexible schedule for the foreseeable future, so gimme a shout.

Also, a couple questions: What are the best quick afternoon/evening surf or eddyline spots close to Seattle? Anything in town that's not too gross? And, is there anywhere close I can go for a quick mountain bike ride with the dog?

Thanks, and holler anytime for boats, bikes, or beers.

Itchy

Replies:
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 2:01pm
Also I should state that I LOVE exploring and am definitely up for some dry-season creek scouting. I've got a beater Toyota 4x4 that loves exploring too... so if anyone is into that, please let me know.

Posted By: kevinh
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:04am
Nothing but dry river beds here! To get your fix, you're going to have to drive to Tumwater on the Wenatchee or the White Salmon (both at levels that will leave you wanting more).
Around here, we're all waiting for the rain. When it comes set your sights on the Upper Green gorge and the Skykomish drainage. The middle middle Snoqulamnie is a local run(the closest class III to Seattle) that is worth checking out. At respective levels the Green, Sky and MM Snoq all have some good play....
we just need water first! 

As far as mountain biking, check out Tiger Mountain in Issaquah and the trails in Black Diamond. Duthie hill is awesome but I'm not sure if they allow dogs.

Posted By: kevinh
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:42am
I forgot about the tieton. I have never been out there but it sounds like it might be worth the drive while it is releasing over the next couple of weeks.

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:33am
I would not ride with a dog at Duthie and would ask people not to take their dogs there unless you are going to ride the xc side and won't be on the gravity trails. I landed on a dog out there and hurt it pretty bad this year, the owner had to take it to the doggie ER and was really pissed, I felt terrible, I have dogs, I love dogs. I told the guy, if you are going to off leash a dog in a jump park you better be dang sure it is NOT going to sniff around in the transitions while people are out riding.

Same would be true for black diamond jump park area.

A great place to get a quick ride with your pooch is the Tape Worm area, there are some new smoother lines on the silk side and you can still be close to town. I take my dog out there frequently.

Posted By: Ellingferd
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 11:36am
Dogs ON LEASH on xc trails ONLY: http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/duthie-park-rules.230780/

-------------
Wave Sport

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 1:46pm
No skidding, good rule how about adding something about casing the crap out of jumps and walking away without replacing your Divot, even golfers have enough respect to do that.

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 5:32pm
Thanks yall.

Just got back from a great ride at Tiger Mtn, with a now very tired pup. Pounding down Preston from the top was a great welcome to Washington.

Print Page | Close Window