Whitewater Forum: Anyone been to the Middle Middle lately?
Print Page | Close Window

Anyone been to the Middle Middle lately?

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14657
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 1:08pm

Topic: Anyone been to the Middle Middle lately?
Posted By: LisaF
Subject: Anyone been to the Middle Middle lately?
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
I heard there was a mudslide that closed Lake Dorothy road (the road accessing the Middle middle) about 2 months ago, and the only article I could find on a web search said they were contemplating whether to reopen the road. Has anyone been out there recently and/or know the status of that road?

Replies:
Posted By: water wacko
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 7:24am
http://www.trailchick.com/2015/01/06/goldmyer-hot-springs-and-forces-of-nature/

-------------
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Howard Thurman

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:58pm
Okay, Brett - I like that you're reading a blog by someone called "trailchick"! Very interesting article, too. In that story I also found a link to another blog with some construction updates on that road:
http://midforkrocks.com/

In case anyone else needs to know, the road is apparently in utter disrepair and as far as I know closed at the camp.

Posted By: jalmquist
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:24pm
Pretty sure they've moved the closure to just after the Mailbox Peak parking area...

Posted By: ODarrow
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:08pm
Yep, the closure is right after the major trailhead on the right side with the gate to an upper parking lot.

-------------
"See what happens"

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:05pm
What exactly does closure mean, is it a full on Gate, a sign or a few cones?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm
It's nothing your going to sneak your way past.

-------------
"See what happens"

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:21pm
Sort of like huge pieces of the road are missing (from what I could tell from Trailchick's blog)

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:24pm
I'll take a hike up there to take some pictures if I get the chance tomorrow

-------------
"See what happens"

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:49pm
Owen that would be helpful!  Anyone know if you can hike in from Mailbox anywhere  to put on?  Or is it too difficult?

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Posted By: James
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 6:38pm
I wouldn't mind going back there to see how far I could go but I don't want to get a ticket. Why can't they just say enter at own risk or something.

Posted By: CErickson12
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:10pm
You can put in at the base of the A-frame house I was on the river last week. Road is blocked where the camp is. I am down to run it tomorrow if anyone is interested

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 11:07am
Yesterday I hiked from where the road block is in place at Mailbox Peak parking area almost all the way to Concrete Bridge. As far as I can tell there were probably a few down trees leading up to the first/main put in the Middle Middle run, but those trees are now gone and there's clear access all the way to the main put in. There is a gauge (at least I think it's a gauge) along the roadside right before the Concrete Bridge and that's where it looks like the road may have been impassable at one point. A lot of trees are cut down, it looks like some rocks and dirt have been removed, The road is also a bit washed out, but still there. I don't know if Concrete Bridge is still there, I turned around because my pup wasn't happy with the hiking in the rain.
Has anyone heard a projected open date on the road? I find it disappointing that we could be accessing the Middle Middle, but it's blocked off way in front of where the actual road damage is. BOO!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Print Page | Close Window