Whitewater Forum: File your eComment with FERC today!
Print Page | Close Window

File your eComment with FERC today!

Printed From: ProfessorPaddle.com
Category: General
Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15321
Printed Date: 20 May 2024 at 2:30pm

Topic: File your eComment with FERC today!
Posted By: jP
Subject: File your eComment with FERC today!
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:11pm
Hi to all the PPeeps- hope you're getting out on the river more than I am.

***Updated 4/12/16***
We are nearly at the end of another 90 day comment period where FERC has been taking our public input with regards to the so-called "Sunset Fish Passage And Energy Project". If you've commented in the past using FERC's eComment system, you are to be commended. We ask you to do it again. And in the Future at every opportunity because that is what it will take to slay this 6 headed Hydra, er, uh... Hydro. Project.

The Deadline for Comments is 4/27/2016

Here's the Link
http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp - http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/ecomment.asp

Go to that page and follow the instructions. basicly you'll click on the large oval button that says
"eComment does not require eRegistration click here to proceed!"

on the next page a field should pop up requesting you to enter a Docket Number. Type P-14295-000 then click the Search button and then the SnoPUD project should be listed.Below that is a field where you can type out your comment, 6,000 characters or less.

Please don't procrastinate on this. Time is running out Let's get these eComments filed,and get others to file as well.

Save The Skykomish From StuPUD People's Short Sighted Decisions!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 3:11pm
Some tips for writing comments...
If you are tooo busy or not much of a writer, that's cool- just tell FERC you are against the dam.

Apparently they don't care about the finances (what rubber stamp agency does, right?). But details about negative impacts to Fish habitat, the Landslide within 350' of where they want to blast the tunnels, etc do matter. And by commenting on these concerns, all the other agencies who have a stake in this permit process will recieve your comments (Fish and Wildlife, Dept. of Ecology, Tulalip tribe, etc).

If you have a more lengthy comment (you know, like me :) you may want to type it out in another program then cut and paste it. This is what FERC recommends.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 5:12pm
Bump.
I am asking if there is anyone out there who may have the professional expertise to write a substantial eComment to FERC that directly attacks the DLA.

Any Fish Bios out there who want to weigh in on this? (is anyone reading this? pretty hard to tell)
you know- the pen in mightier than the sword, or so it is said.

One or ten people can't defeat this thing by themselves though. If you care about preserving the Sky as a river eligible for Wild and Scenic status, you need to get involved now.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: septimus prime
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 7:21pm
I got Katy filing an ecomment. Keep it up. My post cards are in the mail.

-------------
Jon Shell Bee

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 2:22pm
Thanks Jon-
and thanks for responding on this forum.

I gotta say the rest of the PPeeps are making me look like a "Lone Nut Assassin" by not at least providing feedback on this forum.
I don't want to jump to any conclusions or be a dick, but I have to also be honest and say that the people who use this forum are, for the most part, making me feel as though my efforts are in vain.It wouldn't hurt to prove me wrong by createing some buzz around this topic- a topic *THAT ACTUALLY MATTERS*

Or, is Professor Paddle officially DEAD?
This summer, 2016 would be the tenth anniversary of the Professor Paddle Ball. Just going to point that out now as spring approaches. It seems to me that Perhaps PP is now the equivalent of the Main Street Department store that goes out of business when Walmart moves into town. Facebook being the Walmart of Social Media.

I'm not on Facebook. I HATE IT. I despise their ambiguous "simon says" approach to privacy and I view it as the "One Ring To Rule Them All" of Social Media. I much prefer the grass roots nature of PP and the fact that a Boater put it together. But, I digress. The fact is, while I'm off topic here, I've considered joining FB just because of this cause. It's that important to me. So at the very least, can someone LIKE this thread on FB? That could be helpful. Maybe send me a PM and let me know what impact that may have.There are real, substantive discussions that could be taking place. Multiple Minds are better than one, two or five. There are strategies to discuss, and a "Many Hands Make for Light Work" phoenomenon. "I'm busy" doesn't cut it. Because "I'm Busy Too".

The point is, most paddlers care about protecting Free Flowing Rivers, or at least they used to. I hope they still do. So if ever there was a cause to rally behind, this is it. Don't expect one or five or ten people to take care of this. It doesn't work that way. Its going to take community involvement.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 2:48pm
bumpity bumpity don't vote for Trumpity (things are bad enough)

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 3:09pm
BUMP
There's still time to file eComments. If you haven't yet, please go to the link at the top of this thread. That first post has all the info you need. Just be sure to reference Docket # P-14295. That's what the project is filed under at FERC.

Doesn't have to be fancy- just make your voice heard. Democracy. Use it or lose it. Don't Be Sleepin through a Revolution and all that.

If you need help writting something, let me know I'd be glad to help. Or otherwise if you want to get involved, its better to contact me DIRECTLY.

jP 941-445-1638
jpwaterway@gmail.com

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET INVOLVED

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 11:44am

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: JoesKayak
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 12:32pm
This thread needs a bump! Please get your comments to FERC. Either e-file or get a postcard out.

This hydro project is ill conceived for so many reasons. The state passed the state scenic rivers act years ago to protect this river and others from this sort of destruction, but apparently that's not enough. The river needs your voices. Please act today.

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 2:51pm
Bump

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: Mauler!
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 3:45pm
How do I post a link to this thread on the the local club boater web site here in Missouri? I know some of them paddle in Washington. It couldn't hurt to send out a few out of state letters to FERC. Thanks. Leroy

Posted By: irenen
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 4:05pm
Hi Leroy, the link to the page for this thread is:

http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15321 - http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15321

Thanks, hope all's well out there!

-------------
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.

Posted By: irenen
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 10:02am
Thank you!! We had a good turnout at the meeting yesterday and a lot of people spoke. It was supposed to go from 9 to noon and it went until 1 pm. Thanks to the paddlers who took the time to be there  and to those who spoke, I know some people had to take time off of work to do it.

Believe it or not these efforts are making a difference, I don't think I'm overly idealistic but this plan is so flawed on many levels (ecologically, financially, etc.) that if we can coordinate and spread the message to enough people I think it will make it much harder for FERC to approve this project.

-------------
It's all fun and games until someone loses a paddle.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 1:47pm
Yeah Colby!!!!!!
I really appreciate your contribution to the dialog. We need more of it. If you don't mind I'm going to move this particular post to the thread I created full of eComment Samples. My hope is that more people will be inspired to comment if they see a diversity of comments.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by irenen

Believe it or not these efforts are making a difference, I don't think I'm overly idealistic but this plan is so flawed on many levels (ecologically, financially, etc.) that if we can coordinate and spread the message to enough people I think it will make it much harder for FERC to approve this project.

very true, Irene- Yes- Thanks for those who showed up. And to echo Irene's comment, I won't elaborate on the details, but suffice to say we are seeing evidence that the Comment Card drive and the recent increase in eComments is making a difference. It's also worthy to note, (and again you can ask me in person for the details) the meeting we just attended is actually the result of a comment someone submitted .

I think its important to emphasize here that we should embrace this opportunity to let our voices collectively speak for the river. Rather than see it as a chore or an interuption to our "busy" lives (bullsh*t on the being too busy alibi, btw) we should put the same passion we get from paddling into writing a comment. It comes down to priorities and it doesn't take more than a few minutes or maybe a half hour writing something thoughtful. So I encourage PPeeps to visit the thread I started with some sample letters. Hopefully those who have submitted comments will post theirs too in the thread.

Let's have FUN with this. We are a very unique group of people. I don't have to remind you all the many and immediate ways in which we bond and form relationships in this sport. We are naturally more prone to be somewhat galvanized than otherwise. We can be the leverage that removes this seemingly inevitable yet stuPID threat.

PM me if you want to get involved a little more.There is Stuff Going On. It's not just about the Comment Cards and the 4/27 deadline for comments is just the current milestone of this process.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:54am
Damn I still gotta be the one to bump this thread huh? Well since everyone is obviously on face book, I need some of you cross-over folks to take the meat and potatoes of this stuff and either post it on FB, or link to this.

Trust me when I say that without our initiative, this project will likely get built! We are actually in a good position as an interest group to stop this if we simply all lift a finger, take an hour or two out of our lives and do what is right. But don't just go through the motions. Put some heart and soul into it and apply some intellect.

We can stop this. But if we don't, no one will.

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 11:37am
Who's on twitter? Somebody tweet some of this @#$#!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:37pm
Bump

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:24pm
Shout out to David Lilien for a particularlyAWESOME comment to FERC, very eloquently pointing out how unpredictable the proposed run-of-river-dam will be in terms of its ability to operate at capacity

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:29pm
Bump

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Posted By: SOPBOATER
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:10pm
To the top

Posted By: Nick
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 6:41pm
Takes 5 minutes.
   Read the top of this thread then go to the copy / paste thread. Done and done w/ only a few days left.
   Bump!

-------------

Posted By: Riff
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 12:32pm
PP members,  bumping this thread and joining the outcry.  JP got in touch with me yesterday and brought me up to speed; I'm not online much lately.  I've sent info to everyone I knew from a former life as a river guide and swiftwater instructor in Idaho.  Reach out to anyone you know, make it a regional outcry.

Posted By: iron monkey
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 6:27pm
Check out this you tube video by AWA on about the hydroelectric project.  show it to people maybe it will help inspire people to comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zZWz0itA8

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:02am
Originally posted by jP

Shout out to David Lilien for a particularlyAWESOME comment to FERC, very eloquently pointing out how unpredictable the proposed run-of-river-dam will be in terms of its ability to operate at capacity

+1

Just read his comments. Lots of very good points.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by iron monkey

Check out this you tube video by AWA on about the hydroelectric project.  show it to people maybe it will help inspire people to comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zZWz0itA8

Nice! Let's embed that:

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 1:26pm
Awesome. Hey, thanks for contributing to these threads, folks- and thanks guys for getting that link up- that's just one more tiny action I have wanted to do but have had NO TIME to do. This is why we can't sit back and hope "someone else" will take action. It takes all of us. there are many tiny steps that all can add up to a huge victory for the Sky. After the comment period closes, there will be a much needed pause.

Hopefully this bad proposal will get squashed. I am personally very thankful to everyone who has helped distribute comment cards and let people who know what is good and right express their opposition to violating the Sky's many existing protections. If you took the few minutes to file online, and hopefully poured a piece of your heart, mind and soul into it, even better.

Lastly, please realize that if this Draft License gets approved, we'll be doing this all over again next fall or winter. All the more reason why voicing opposition now is crucial to build upon later.

And what happens to Mama Sky in the winter? She swells up to take the form of her mighty glory several times the volume of her voice the rest of the year. If this project isn't dead on arrival, if they file their Final License Application, We need to come back at this FIVE TIMES STRONGER. So please be ready then to be vigilant. We can defeat this if we muster the combined voice of our community, just as the Sky gathers all of its waters in its thunderous roar...

FERC and SnoPUD need to hear the Skykomish River Roar. THROUGH US!!!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:47am
BUMP!!!

Time is almost up. I've been happy to see lots of comments coming in. Keep them coming! The deadline is tomorrow (4/27)!

If you have already commented, please ask your friends/families/neighbors to comment as well.

Share the AW video to your Facebook or other social media page along with instructions on how to file a comment. Let them know that simply commenting that they oppose the project is worth a lot. The more the better!

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:03am
Bumping this again...

TODAY IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO COMMENT FOR THIS COMMENT PERIOD.

Lots of comments have been filed already, so thank you to everyone who has filed a comment opposing this ill-conceived horror of a hydro project.

If you haven't yet there's still time. Please do so now.

If you have filed comments... you can still file again if you have additional points you'd like to address.

I'm hopeful that this comment period will be a great help to our cause. There are now hundreds of comments on file both by private citizens as well as government agencies, tribes and non-governmental organizations.

One comment in particular is from the Northwest and Conservation Council. In a nutshell, they are saying that Federal Law gives them jurisdiction over where energy projects are created in the Northwest and they designate this river reach as off limits to hydro development. Something we've known but it's great to see they are stepping up to enforce this protection.

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 8:07am
Another note:

For those of you who are interested in reading the comments on this project, all documentation pertinent to this project are available online.

Go to:

http://www.ferc.gov/docs-filing/elibrary.asp

And do a docket or general search for records using docket # P-14295.

You can adjust your search to a specific time to narrow down your results.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 10:05pm
Yup. 7,000+ comments! I am only bumping this to showcase Joe's above instructions for accessing the docket articles. This way, though the comment period is over now, peeps can still dig into whats going on if they want.

Joe, thanks man- I've always valued you as a member of our community. Great hitting that Snohomish Pilchuck lap the other week! Great paddling with ya and I got to discover a cute little gem of a run I'd never known of before! What a treat!

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by jP

Yup. 7,000+ comments! I am only bumping this to showcase Joe's above instructions for accessing the docket articles. This way, though the comment period is over now, peeps can still dig into whats going on if they want.

Joe, thanks man- I've always valued you as a member of our community. Great hitting that Snohomish Pilchuck lap the other week! Great paddling with ya and I got to discover a cute little gem of a run I'd never known of before! What a treat!

For sure! Being my first time on the first half of that run it was cool to find some interesting geology and a few fun little features in there.

Got that set up as a river page now too.

http://professorpaddle.com/rivers/riverdetails.asp?riverid=4590

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 1:31am
Awesome! I figured you'd flesh that out. Good deal. I'd totally go back

-------------
🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋🐋

Print Page | Close Window