Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15624
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 10:56pm

Topic: Multiday Meals
Posted By: megspk
Subject: Multiday Meals
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:38pm
Just wondering what some of your multiday meal suggestions might be for a kayak self support trip!

I've got a few go-tos, but I'd like to widen my meal options. I'm mostly looking for meals I can put together at home, then can just add water to on the river.

Any meal tricks are appreciated also!

Thanks!!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Replies:
Posted By: matthewphoto
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 10:24am
Hi,
If you have some time I'd say dehydrating homemade soups and pastas is the way to go. It tastes a hell of a lot better than the pre packaged stuff.

-M

Posted By: Jed Hawkes
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:36am
I go pretty basic with a lot of the ready made meals that you can buy at safe way. Think risotto in the package, or annies mac and cheese. I typically take the pasta out of the box and put it in a bag and bring a small bag of powdered milk and a couple pads of butter. The dehydrated "just add water meals" are ok but over priced and since your not carrying it around weight shouldn't be your number one consideration for a paddling trip.

A heavy boat is a bit slower to go but there have been plenty of holes I've come out that back of because of a heavy rig.

Dufay turned me onto dubliner cheese which I've found keeps well unrefrigerated, and has a bit more kick.

Also, if your not going to be carrying your boat into the put in don't be afraid to have a little water weight. Fruit and other things that I wouldn't want to hike with are great for a self support trip where you don't have to carry and isn't low volume creeking.

For booze I try and mix it up with beer if there is space, wine, and gin and tonics. The wine has a little more octane than the beer and you don't need to carry as much to get your swerve on. Public service, the wine/ gin and tonic combo is best done on a day when you are still well hydrated otherwise you'll be Dick Down in the dirt before the fire goes out.

Have Fun out there.

-------------
The line will become apparent
978-273-7723

Posted By: outdoorjunkie88
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 6:11pm
if you have money and don't like cooking, then go with mountain house but if you like to cook and are creative go with dehydrated. maybe grab a back country or backpacking cookbook. Its a fun way to take up evenings if you have time.

eggs (crack them into a bottle of some sort) and some cheeses do not have to be refrigerated. a lot of veggies stay good for awhile. Tortillas are a great replacement for bread. tuna, pre-cooked chicken, beans, PB, sausage,
tofu are good protein sources

-------------
Drew C.

Posted By: matthewphoto
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:00pm
Also, tequila and limes. :)

Posted By: iron monkey
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:18pm
I used to do a lot of multi day trips in California with a guy who was a fishmonger. He would pull out giant slabs of salmon, tuna, giant prawns, in a marinade, and cook them on a flat rock heated up in a fire. He would freeze the bags if it was more than a one night trip, and stuff it inside a down bag in a dry bag to keep ittcool I paddled a prijon rockit, and could stuff a 5 liter bag of wine in front of my bulk head to add to the festivities.

With a big bag o'wine in the bow, I never got stopped in a hole. It was a little tricky keeping the nose up on boofs.

Another guy I paddled with always kept a baggie of instant mash potatoes and a can of sardines in his 1st aid kit. That way he was never tempted to eat it except in an emergency. On the 4th night out, of a 3 night trip, that was some tasty stuff.

Posted By: megspk
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:02am
YUM!! Thanks for the ideas!!

-------------
“A strong person and a waterfall always channel their own path.” -Unknown

Posted By: superposer
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:04am
Costco jerked beef has saved many fishing weekends for myself. also powerbars and ramen noodles.

Im a dirtbag tho and you know this

Print Page | Close Window