Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15677
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:01pm

Topic: dagger axiom 9.0
Posted By: iron monkey
Subject: dagger axiom 9.0
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:16pm
I'm interested in the axiom 9.0. I haven't seen one to demo or for sale locally. And by local the entire PNW.

Does anyone have one I could try or buy? I live close to the sky, and would love to actually see one in person or paddle around the put in or take out or one rapid or...?

Thanx for any leads or offers.

Replies:
Posted By: stevej
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:30pm
Cascade had one wrapped up in the back when I was there a week ago right after their closing sale started. Might still be there.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:27am
I've checked there multiple times. They and every other paddle shop I've called in six hour radius is more than happy to order one for me.

Never having seen one, I think I'd be better off running a blind drop than buying a boat blind.

Posted By: superposer
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:29am
i can confirm there was a 9.0 in the back

Posted By: superposer
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:29am
of cascade that is

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
How big are you? There is a local Wenatchee/Cashmere boater that has one he might let you try out. I paddled one in the GC, what are you looking for out of a boat?

There is an 8.0 for a decent price here:
https://www.riversports.com/rs/product_detail/20682/Used-Dagger-Axiom-80-Whitewater-Kayak-River-Runner

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:43am
Mr Nick Hinds is hiding one as well...

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 2:05am
Thanks for the info. Someone kindly offered me a chance to try one.

Why aren't there more threads on here discussing different boats, characteristics, should I get a this or that on PP?

Aren't there any other gear heads out here?

Posted By: kayaker_ben
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:51am
If you're anything larger than a pixie, the 8.0 will be too small. I have an 8.5 (63 gal. ish?) @ 185lbs, and the thing is a playboat. The 9.0 is a lot bigger, and paddles like a creek boat with a lil bit of playfulness in the stern. Great edges though, lots of fun on big water runs.

Posted By: otterend
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 12:24pm
At 170 lb 5'10, the 8.5 Axiom is an excellent river running boat for me. Fast, with carving chines, flat back deck, and planing hull. The 8.5 is sure handed in big water; I taken it twice down the Grand Canyon and over to the Lochsa during Spring runoff, Green at 4-5k. In the midst of pushy water, one can spin and ferry around tough features, then carve around through the boulders. The boat is fast and accelerates well.   I love to surf. The Axiom 8.5 is a green wave machine. It's 8'6" length allows you to attain hull speed to catch waves a short Playboat might miss. Wenatchee''s Trinity Wave @ 13k is unspeakably good: deep carving slices across the face. The new Dagger outfitting is very comfortable. I like the wratchet up seat and knee hooks. I can comfortably wear 11.5 size 5-10 water tennies in the boat. The Axiom does not boof as well as a more-rockered boat (e.g. Stomper or Braaap). It just takes a little more thought and time in the boat to dial in the boof. It's my go-to boat for rivers up to 4-4+. I opt for a little more volume and rocker for Tumwater Canyon and Boulder Drop, and for creeks, but I'm sure the more gifted paddlers out there would easily handle those runs in an Axiom.

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 3:27pm
I had a post written up, but apparently I closed the windows without hitting the submit button...

I paddled a 9.0 in the GC - I thought it was a great bigwater boat that was also very comfortable. I'm not a great playboater, but it was a great front surfing boat with lots of hull speed. Compared to a smaller playboat, it's got a lot of hull in the water, making it a bit tougher to change direction quickly.

I have just gotten my hands on a previous gen 4Fun, and if you want to take a step toward a playboat it's worth considering. The current Fun series is a much longer boat, and is probably a Jackson take surf friendly river runner. With the 4Fun this morning, I caught a few waves at ~8k that I would have had no prayer catching in my Pyranha Molan (think Superstar). I would have had more fun at Rodeo Hole / Turkey Shoot in the real playboat. I'm not a fan of Jackson outfitting, and will probably end up trying to convert the rope/small backband to something a bit more substantial.

There is also the LL Braap/Party Braap/Mullet. The Party Braap/Mullet might sorta fill a similar role as the Axiom. Last year the LL guys rolled through Washington in May on the Wenatchee. That might give you a chance to demo some of their offerings.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 7:02pm
That kind of talking about is what I'm talking about!

According to the daggger specs, I'm not quite equal to two mid size pixies. So that's why I'm looking at the 9.0, I need a lot of hull in the water.

I want a fast planing hull creeker that will float me and can stern squirt/pivot. Mainly for sky laps when my play boat feels small and some light creeking in the sky drainage...

Otterend description sounds a lot like what I'm looking for. Maybe the 9.0 will feel a little better as the water gets bigger.

Liquid logic braap/mullet looks ok, a planing hull would have made them more exciting. And a little small for me.

The Jackson antix sounds cool, planing hull squirtable Creek/play but it will probably come out looking and feeling like a Jackson.

Does anyone have a cheap/broken burn? That would be really fun to chop and smash the stern and weld some darts/creases into it and kick up the stern rocker. That would be a more boof/piton friendly bow.

SERIOUSLY, a broken/cheap burn for sale or trade anyone? I just got a plastic welder set up.

Posted By: Mike55
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:49pm
There is definately a 9.0 at cascade as of last Sunday, in the back, it's red. Doubt it's gone anywhere yet?
Can call them to confirm. If they tell you they have an 8.5, they are wrong. There inventory on paper was incorrect, I hope she corrected it though.

Print Page | Close Window