Forum Name: Whitewater Forum
Forum Discription: Open Discussion Forum. Whitewater related subjects only
URL: http://www.professorpaddle.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15678
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 4:18pm

Topic: Shoulders strengthening
Posted By: ENDO
Subject: Shoulders strengthening
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:36pm
Anyone know of any good literature on shoulder strengthening for paddlers? Got a bum shoulder that's starting to make paddling interesting. Therabands and stretching seem to do a lot of good but I don't really know what I'm doing and I don't want to make it worse as the rains approach.

Replies:
Posted By: paddlemonster
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 10:58am
Anything that strengthens the rotator cuff would be helpful for paddling. Just google rotator cuff exercises and you will find plenty of ideas.

Posted By: tiziak
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:30am
I use a cable machine to run through the 6 common rotator cuff motions at the end of every workout; maybe 4 times a week. This has really cut down on shoulder pain and now my lower back limits my time on the water more than my shoulders or arms after about a season of doing this. Ill try to find an example of the routine I'm talking about.

-------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:33am
Here is a link to a PDF:
http://tinyurl.com/z2rmvwn

I did a lot of these exercises when trying to recover from a small rotator cuff tear. If you take the surgical tubing, tie a knot in the end, and shut it in a door, it will be a great way to anchor it.

Paddling was great rehab as long as I kept my hands 'in the box'. Anytime I started reaching up / high bracing I'd get quite a bit of pain. Try to use pain as your guide, avoid stuff that causes those instant flashes of pain.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
Really wish it was easier to post a photo here.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
Look in my 2016 photo folder. I uploaded the sheet that I used as a guide after I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum. I used this with super light weight for about 6 months and then I worked the weight up (slightly). I do this entire routine after every workout, 20 reps each hand, through the 6 exercises. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-------------

Daniel Patrinellis

Posted By: NateW
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:53pm
Yah that's pretty much what I did. I found diagonal up and diagonal down on Pg 9 of what I linked to be really helpful.

Print Page | Close Window